Boston Whaler Boats

/ Boston Whaler Boats #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( BW boats among others are built to drive out of the water if swamped. In other words, if swamped by a breaking sea, punch the engine and the boat will drive back up on to the water. )</font>

Reminds me of one of the dumber things I once did, and got away with it even though the boat wasn't designed for that. A friend with no boating experience and I launched my little bass boat when it was far too rough. He was sitting on the front seat as we got underway, I told him to move to the back, and I slowed down for him to do so. And just as he got to the back, I watched the front end of my boat go under water, so I punched the throttle and the boat just sort of wallowed back up and we had a boat full of water. I had only recently bought that boat and it had no bilge pump, so I told my friend to reach down right in the middle of the transom and pull that plug out. He said, "DO WHAT?!!" He didn't know the water would drain out if we kept going, but it took a couple of times to convince him, and he later told lots of people that he thought I'd lost my mind and decided to just scuttle the boat. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I did install a bilge pump a few days later. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Boston Whaler Boats #12  
We had a 1960's 13 footer (bought second hand for $1500). That was the best $1500 my Dad ever spent. Great way to keep 4 middle/high school kids out of trouble.

When my brother & I started growing a bit, the 40HP evinrude (1980's vintage) would no longer pull us up on 1 ski. So Dad upgraded us to a 17' montauk w/ 90HP evinrude (1990).

I'm not familiar with the latest models, but if they are still building them like they used to, you can't go wrong.

They also hold their value quite well. The 17' would sell for about 10,000 around here. I think we paid 15,000 in 1990.

The 13' was too small to take offshore & the 17' is a bit uncomforable with the flat bottom

/ Boston Whaler Boats #13  
BW makes great boats. I assume you are looking at the "Nantucket" since it is 19 feet. I would suggest you go over to ContinuousWave and get some feedback over there.

That is probably the best source of information on the web for Whalers. It started as a classic whaler website but is now equally split between the classic whalers and new whalers. I think there are a couple of people with Nantuckets for sale over there currently so maybe you could get a good deal on a used one.

The members over there are fans of Boston Whaler like the members over here are fans of tractors.

Have Fun.
Kevin

/ Boston Whaler Boats #14  
The last time I looked, and to be honest it's been a few years, you will find different engine choices with different dealers depending on what they sell as a dealership. Most boats this size are rigged at the stealer not the factory. The other option is to just buy the boat and have it rigged by another dealer. I guess it just depends on if you feel is a good value for what you want. If you pass on this one a great place to get deals is the boat shows.

/ Boston Whaler Boats #15  
Trescrows,

I'm sure the Optimax will do great. If you have the opportunity, you might check under the cowling and compare it to the 150 efi. Some neat stuff under there, but you'll see what I mean about more complexity.

Don't pass up the Smartcraft option. I'm pretty sure you're a gadget freak (aren't we all /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif), and this is one that is worth it. It's plug and play, and displays a lot of useful information, such as fuel economy, fuel remaining, engine temperature, oil pressure, hours, charge, and rpm. The unit for my little motor was only $200, about the same as an analog tach and hour meter installed. The bigger motors have a more sophisticated system which is pricier, but wow it's neat. With a gps, you can determine optimum cruising speed for fuel consumption. You can see how far you can run with the remaining fuel. Lots of other neat things too. My unit has been bulletproof over two years, which is a lot more than I can say for most gauges.

I checked out some Boston Whalers at the Texas Parks and Wildlife Expo in Austin this weekend. For a small one (13' or less) with a 25 hp 4-stroke and a galvanized trailer, they wanted just under 10k. It appeared very well built, but my my, that's really pricey. Didnt' get a chance to look at the bigger ones as I was working /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Boston Whaler Boats
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The last time I looked, and to be honest it's been a few years, you will find different engine choices with different dealers depending on what they sell as a dealership. Most boats this size are rigged at the stealer not the factory. The other option is to just buy the boat and have it rigged by another dealer. I guess it just depends on if you feel is a good value for what you want. If you pass on this one a great place to get deals is the boat shows. )</font>

I wish this were true. It certainly used to be. Today most of the well known brands come factory rigged. Boston Whaler was bought by the Brunswick Corp. in the early 90s. They also own Mercury. Therefore, if you get a Whaler---you get a Merc. Some dealers can trade the engine out if they are a stocking dealer of engines of various sorts but it will cost ya /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I have looked at quite a few companies and most of the old time names are that way now--especially in their so called value packages and under 24 foot stuff.

Byrd, that is a funny story /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I bet it did take you a bit of persuasion to get that fellow to pull the plug out on an already water logged boat /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fishman, thanks for the info, do you have a specific bad "thing" about the Optimax? I am not being argumentative--really /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Just you seem to understand these things and have experience with them. I am with you on the complexity part for sure. I am also concerned about lean burn two-strokes. The fuel and oil is burned at a very lean ratio---higher temps result. This improves efficiency of course and greatly reduces emissions but premium materials and exacting computer control is required to keep things going right. It does seem a bit scary /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but--everything I can find on these engines is reasonably positve. Here is my biggest concern with any two-stroke engine nowadays--fuel quality. The alchohol, ethonal etc added to fuel in some locals is not good for a two-stroke engine and yet sometimes it cannot be avoided. That is my biggest concern. I suppose if I buy this boat, run that engine six or so seasons I could probably trade out the engine for something else if need be without totaly loosing my shirt in the deal.
Good thing for me---I undestand mechanical stuff and almost without exception most mechanical things do well for me so I am not expecting problems.
Yes, boats are expensive. There is some good advice on several websites and a long understood truth in the boating world. Pay now or pay later. Buy a cheap grade boat and it will cost you bunches later. The other truth is that there is no such thing as "affordable" good boats---so I am advised.
Yes, I know about the continuous wave, just wanted to make sure you TBN fellers who are in fact the most knowledge folks on the web /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif (even though I argue with many of you till you turn blue in the face /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) had no specific problems with BW boats. It appears that to the contrary several of you have owned the little Whalers and had good luck with them. Yeah, they are expensive. J

/ Boston Whaler Boats #17  
Arrrgh. Yeah that makes it tuff for a engine swap. I guess I'd just check the price difference between a standerd merc and the upgraded one on the boat. Then you can hopefully determine if you still think the packckage is a great price. If I was not buying a 4 stroke I'd only but a Merc, But that's just me. You can probably go any where in the country with the Merc that has water and get parts and service. IMO you can't do any better than a BW in this type of boat.
PS. When I said I saw a "small" BW out on the humps it was no bigger than 12' !!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Best of luck with your choice. My advice is don't think too long while the CFO is giving you the green light. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If you ever decide to tow it to the keys for lobster season and need a guest I'll buy the fuel ! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Boston Whaler Boats #18  
TresCrows,

No, I don't have anything specific, just concerned about the added complexity. When it first came out a few years back, the Optimax got a nasty reputation for being unreliable and hard to work on. In all fairness, new technology can and does stretch the limits of many repair shops. I suspect the problem was partially working the bugs out of the new technology, and partially the fact that nobody knew how to work on them.

Nowadays, the Optimax is a lot more accepted, although it is still a lot more costly than a standard efi model. The basic efi model has been around a lot longer and the technology has had time to mature and be perfected.

Of course, I had the choice to buy a 40 hp carburated, but went with the efi 4-stroke. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Boston Whaler Boats #19  
I am not a big boating guy, just know enough to be dangerous.
That being said, have you also considered a Grady White? They have an excellent reputation, classic lines, extremely sea worthy and deep V hull. They are also pricey but may be less expensive than BW. (or more expensive!!!)
Thought you might want to look at some other angles.

/ Boston Whaler Boats #20  
Tres, The Boston Whaler has a great hull design, you might also look at the "C Dory"