You won't believe what I bought this week.

/ You won't believe what I bought this week. #1  

Gary_in_Indiana

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket
You won\'t believe what I bought this week.

I bought my little IH bulldozer BACK! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Everyone kept telling me I was foolish for having sold it and that I'd regret it, especially if I was successful acquiring an adjacent parcel of land I'm hoping to get. Of course, even though I hadn't signed anything or been paid I wasn't going to back down from the commitment I'd made to my buyer.

A week or so after that was all done he called me and told me that his customer had wanted something different and now he had no use for it. To his credit, he did not ask out of his purchase at all. He called to ask if I could help him sell it at a heavy duty truck auction where I'm registered and I did.

At the end of the bidding it brought less than he'd hoped so I called him to let him decide whether or not to sell it. He passed on that offer but asked me if I could counter the potential buyer at a far lower number than I expected. When he quoted me that number I asked if I could buy it for that. He agreed so I just did a 'no sale' there and dropped off a check to him on my way back from the sale. The bottom line is that I'm now a bulldozer owner again... or still... or something... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

In over a quarter of a century in this business this is the first time I've ever had something like this happen. I've been on the other end a couple times having bought something at an auction, fixed, cleaned and improved it only to take it to another sale and have the same dealer from whom I'd bought the plain one with bald tires on mismatched wheels buy my fancy two tone truck with graphics, chrome wheels on new raised letter tires only to find it's the same truck they sold me two weeks ago but I've never sold one, never given up possession then bought it back. And bought it back for LESS.

I liked it at what I paid the first time. Now I LOVE it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 517395-Picture068_08Oct04.jpg
    517395-Picture068_08Oct04.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 466
   / You won't believe what I bought this week. #2  
Re: You won\'t believe what I bought this week.

Gary,

You win some you lose some but you lose more than you win

/ You won't believe what I bought this week.

VIN,

I'm looking at this as a WIN! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, my son is on his way to your fair country (to visit one of it's fairer residents /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) as I type this. He'll be there for a couple weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ You won't believe what I bought this week. #4  

I wish I would have been at the sale. I would love to have a little dozer like that.

/ You won't believe what I bought this week. #5  

Reminds me on my dozer.

Bought it on Ebay unseen but owner had all the right answers, lived on a 200 ac farm. father in law owned it 20 + years, was restoring with son in law & passed away. Son in law finished putting it together to sell it. New batteries & cables, lights, sealed rollers, etc.

When I got there the farm was flat as a pancake! Clearly the work of 20 years with a small dozer.

He had put the backhoe on it & was ready to go. I had said over the phone I didn't really need another backhoe. But ok, I had the room.

While I was chaining the machine down he comes out with boxes of new spare parts in a new JD ag tractor bucket. Ok I'll take these. Then he says he has more spare parts in the barn as they used a loader crawler version as a parts machine. The old barn was not well lit but he knew where everything was & then was determined to clean house!

That new tractor dropped the bucket & picked up forks in a heartbeat.

I ended up with a spare engine & injector pump, power reverser, transmission, loader cylinders, & another pallet or 2 of misc.

Ended up going home 800 miles a little heavy.

Attachments

• 517457-dozer & trailer home.jpg
    517457-dozer & trailer home.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 306

<font color="blue"> "I wish I would have been at the sale. I would love to have a little dozer like that." </font>

Doc,

We're having a big construction equipment sale here November 3. I know there's a 1985 Dresser (IH) that's going to be offered there. It looks like a pretty nice little machine. I believe the model number was something like a DH8R or something like that. I'd guess it would bring somewhere in the mid-low to mid high-teens. If you're interested I'll be happy to get you some more information. Just let me know.

<font color="blue">"I believe the model number was something like a DH8R" </font>

Doc,

It is a 1985 Dresser TD8E and will be offered for sale November 3. Let me know if you're interested and I'll do whatever I can to help you put it in your barn. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ You won't believe what I bought this week. #8  

a very simular machine to our TD9, my brushbars and overhead gaurd i made myself outa two inch pipe just a few weeks ago, and i just finished up the root rake too

514362-td9rightside.jpg

/ You won't believe what I bought this week. #9  

Gary,

I would really like to have one but as you know some of those can look really good and be completely worn out. I'd like to look one over really good before I bought it.

/ You won't believe what I bought this week. #10  

buying a used dozer isnt much different than a used tractor, both can be realy worn out, just gota check the same stuff as ya do a tractor,oil, antifreeze,hyd etc plus the biggie to look at is the undercarraige, make sure it isnt worn down to nothing, no excessively pointy sprockets, worn chains,pins and bushings or rails, as well as the track idlers also