How cold is considered "cold" for a diesel truck?

/ How cold is considered "cold" for a diesel truck? #1  

BGL990

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 990 4x4
How cold is considered \"cold\" for a diesel truck?

My mom has a '95 GMC turbo diesel pickup with a '98 engine in it (long story - bad turbo on the '95, ate it's own oil, blew up). We've had the glow plugs checked and they are supposedly OK, and it has a brand new injection pump and was all tuned up (supposedly) but it starts getting pretty hard to start when it gets to around freezing (without being plugged in).

Lately it's been about -10 deg C at night and it takes multiple glow plug heats and LOTS of cranking to get it to stay running. -10 is not really that cold and I thought it should do better than that. Our neighbor has an older Ford and older Dodge that he can start down to -20 or lower without plugging them in, if he has to. Our truck - no way.

So, is just below freezing actually too cold to start without being plugged in for this truck??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

How does your truck fare in the cold?

/ How cold is considered "cold" for a diesel truck? #2  
Re: How cold is considered \"cold\" for a diesel truck?

We plug our diesel fleet in when the temps get down into the 30's F.

We also use an anti-gel in the fuel when the temps drop much below that.

/ How cold is considered "cold" for a diesel truck? #3  

My Owner's Manual on my 1996 Dodge with Cummins suggests that I plug the block heater in anytime the temps dip below +20°F. It states that it will reduce the amount of white smoke on startup.

Now having said that, as low as +20 is only about 4 or 5 days out of the year here, and the truck starts fine with or without the heater plugged in. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How cold is considered "cold" for a diesel truck? #4  

diesel can start to gell at 34 degrees,, A lot of other factors can play into this,, all the years I owned tractor trailer units, in the winter, they were always full or as close to full tanks as possible,,, The reason is air availability in the tanks,.which will help freezing quicker,.., So, try to keep full fuel tanks in the winter season,,, I always used and still do, Howes lubricant.. Howes is the only one I've seen in owning a some sized diesel in the last 34 years, that guarantees to pay for a frozen non start or tow job.. Most all aditives have a huge amount of alcohol in them.. Not always the best thing either.. Howes has no alcohol in it...

/ How cold is considered "cold" for a diesel truck?

I'm quite sure it isn't a problem with the fuel gelling. The stations around here switch to winter blend when it gets cold, and we always use Stanadyne PF additive. I use the exact same fuel in my tractor and it starts instantly. Of course the truck is indirect injection, and turbo charged (I hear turbo engines are usually lower compression to compensate for the turbo boost). My tractor is direct injection, non turbo.

Still, I would expect the truck to start better than it is. I still don't trust that the glow plugs are all working properly. I found some bad connections before, so I'll have to check again.

I'm still interested in any other comments, and how cold others have been able to start their diesels without being plugged in ...

/ How cold is considered "cold" for a diesel truck? #6  

<font color="green">Still, I would expect the truck to start better than it is. I still don't trust that the glow plugs are all working properly. I found some bad connections before, so I'll have to check again.
</font>

The answer as to when to plug in all depends on the diesel. My 4020 and 4430 if it gets below 40 they are hard to start. My skidsteer is the same way. My newer tractors I rarely plug them in even down to below zero. It's the same way on trucks. My old 86 F350 diesel if it gets down to 30 you better plug it in. Even with brand new glow plugs it's hard to start. My newer trucks rarely get plugged in. The Chevy diesel was a very poor design overall. Lots of problems with turbos, injector pumps, injectors, etc. They are notoriously VERY hard to start. The more you try to start them the more you burn out glow plugs and it's also hard on the pump and injectors. If I had a Chevy diesel I would plug it in anytime it gets around 35. It will make it much much easier on the truck. I agree with you about the fuel, especially if you're buying from a big fuel spot. If you're adding stanadyne too you won't have any gelling issues.

/ How cold is considered "cold" for a diesel truck?

Hmmm, I was afraid the hard starting was normal-ish. At home, we can plug it in. The biggest problem is when my Mom takes the truck to work in the winter. Around here, buisinesses don't generally turn on their plug-ins until about -20C (~ -5 F). Makes it pretty tough to start after work for her. Or even if you go to the mall for a few hours and it's -30 or -40 outside. It doesn't take too long for even that big lump of cast iron to get cold.

My tractor has an intake air heater rather than glow plugs and it works beautifully. I've also read a comment on a diesel truck site that a hair dryer to the intake helps a lot. I am going to put some thought into how to graft some sort of 12V heating element into the intake. Maybe between glow plugs AND an intake heater the beast will be easier to start.

/ How cold is considered "cold" for a diesel truck? #8  

Brad,

You might also want to put in a synthetic oil. I'm using the Shell Rotella synthetic for a variety of reasons. One of which is that the truck is easier to start when cold. Its a 5wx40 oil. For the cold you are dealing with I think I would spend the money to get a 0w oil.

Good luck with that truck. I had a 95. Worse vehicle I ever had....

Later,
Dan

/ How cold is considered "cold" for a diesel truck? #9  

Well you do not need to plug some of the new ones in but it helps.
In my humble opinon they will start fine without it but a block heater reduces the ware and tare caused by the inital cold start.

If you have one set it up on a timer, which can be done for a few bucks, and then it will automatically be ready to go each morning. Cost of the power is what 7 amps at 120V so ~840 watts? So one hour every morning will cost you about 6 cents a day.

Fred

/ How cold is considered "cold" for a diesel truck? #10  

Load test the batteries and make sure that they are turning that engine fast enought. The speed at which a diesel turns over makes a big difference in how they start.