Workshop/building items

/ Workshop/building items #1  

bczoom

Veteran Member
I was changing the tranny fluid in the RTV last night (well, early evening but it was dark anyway…). While doing so, I realized the number of things that were in use, but not in the fashion it was originally intended.
What kinds of items are in your buildings that you use, but not for the intent it was originally designed/used for?

The ones I noticed I was using while working yesterday.

Motion detectors inside the building(s). I have motion detectors in the buildings so when I move around or go in while dark, they kick on. I found this handy when pulling in while on a piece of equipment (it was light when I went out) so I can park, get off and get out without damage to anything (mainly myself). Also handy when walking from one to the other while hands are full or through an entrance that doesn’t have a light switch.

I use either seat covers (the cushion ones) from lawn furniture or floor mats out of a car when you need to sit or kneel on the floor.

Coffee cans – used for storing nuts/bolts/washers or anything else relatively small.

Cookie sheets. Handy for several things. I keep large ones under my waste oil cans (5 gal. buckets) to catch dripping (or the occasional overflow). Also handy for holding parts while working on something or if the coffee can has misc. items I need to sort through. Old aluminum ice cube trays work for holding parts as well.

Spool of electric fence wire and baling twine. Used around the shop for tying up all kinds of stuff.

Cow pads – The ¾ or 1” black pads, 4x6’. I use on the workshop floor. Definitely warmer than concrete on the feet in the winter and easier on feet/knees when working.

/ Workshop/building items #2  
bczoom, I like the motion detector switch idea,once the lights go out on the tractor these old eyes aren't quite as sharp as they used to be. The rubber mat is also a winner idea. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Say where about in Western PA? I'm from Belle Vernon area,many moons ago.

/ Workshop/building items #3  
Gee I think the list would be too long.

I am north of Pittsburgh too. There is a meeting for our area on Nove. 6th at 11:30 AM at the Hosses in Grove City. Check it out in the meeting forum.

/ Workshop/building items
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Gee I think the list would be too long.

I am north of Pittsburgh too. There is a meeting for our area on Nove. 6th at 11:30 AM at the Hosses in Grove City. Check it out in the meeting forum. )</font>

Nasty135 - I'm about 80 miles N. of Belle Vernon. Actually, I'm about 5 miles from jc7 (next town over).

cj7 - Yes, I'm going to be at the get-together this Saturday. Are you going to be there? Come on now, give us a partial list of the things you use (or maybe the ones we can use).