Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse?

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #1  

TBone

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L-2501 HST
Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse?

Although I fought the urge for a while, my love for gadgets got the best of me and I purchased a cell phone. I hate to admit it but it has been a comfort to have it with me at times. I commute about 100 miles roundtrip each day and most of my "tractoring" is done way back in the woods where you can get in a bind in a hurry. On several occasions, it has really come in handy. So much for the plus side.

This weekend, my wife, son, his fiance and I were in a nice resturant on the gulf coast. Some idiot in the next booth spent the better part of an hour talking to his girlfriend on a cell phone. I now know more about his love life than I do either one of my sons' (and more than I want to know). At one point he was talking so loud that people across the room were staring - I don't think he even noticed.

This is the umpteenth time I have had to listen to conversations while trying to enjoy a meal, watch a ballgame or read the label on some high tech tractor stuff. On top of that a lady pulled out in front of me this morning on the way to work. She was screaming into a cell phone in her left hand and making all kinds of wierd gestures with the other. I don't know what she was using to drive.

All this makes me want to go back to the good old days when we had phone BOOTHS and calls cost a dime.

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #2  
Re: Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse?

I have an 80 mile round-trip and use my cell-phone a lot while driving. Always use it with a headset though - I've found a great one that really works well.

I guess I'm just not the type to wave my arms around when talking - I don't find it any worse than talking to a passenger in the car. If I come across a challenging driving situation (like when a ladder fell off the truck in front of me at 65mph yesterday) I just tell the person I'm calling to hold on for a moment.

All my numbers are speed dial. I don't approve of trying to look numbers up in an organizer and dialing and driving and not using a headset like I see almost every day.

One last gripe - I am amazed at the new trend of people pulling over to make a call. I can see the reasoning - but there's a real need for some basic education for people as to where it is safe to do this. I almost rear-ended a guy this morning because he was half blocking an exit ramp around a blind corner ...

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #3  

I think they are a great convenience but not doubt they are an extremely dangerous item to drive with. I saw a report where they said that driving while talking on a cell phone was worse than being 2x the legal limit for alcohol. No doubt there has to be some regulation on their use in cars.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #4  

I do about 100 miles a day round trip to work and use a cell phone quite a bit. I too have noticed a lot more folks pulling off the road to handle cell phone conversations. My solution has been a head-set and voice command speed dial so I don't have to worry about dropping something else and being distracted that way. At times, if I know I've got a long conversation developing I'll try and find a parking lot somewhere and pull off the road. I haven't encountered anyone yet who had stopped and was blocking traffic, but that type of encounter is probably just a matter of time.

The thing that scares me the most while driving, and I'll probably be severely chastised for saying this, are women driving large SUVs, putting on make-up, or curling eyelashes, all while talking on a cell phone. It's a more common sight that I like to think about.

Bob Pence
18-33782-bobsig.gif

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #5  

I like my cell phone, the Nextel with the two way radio function.

BUT!!! I hate when the thing rings, or someone starts talking orver the radio feature, while I'm on the can! Jeez, is there no privacy! And of course, the phone is turned up, and the restroom stalls full... The caller, of course, expects a answer too...

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #6  

I like my phone. It's come in handy more than once. I too commute about 100 miles round trip. I just hate when it rings. To solve that, I just don't hand out my cell number. I've had a number of business contacts beg plead and demand it. I just tell them I don't always carry it and sometimes when I'm out, I don't have my phone, I have my wife's. Seems to work.

SHF

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #7  

Hey RobertN ... saw your comment ...

<font color=blue>BUT!!! I hate when the thing rings, or someone starts talking over the radio feature</font color=blue>

Aren't there two 'T's in BUTT ??!!!!

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #8  

Just to be redundant, I too drive 100 miles roundtrip to work! (I guess the magic mileage number for having a tractor is 100 miles-wait until the marketing people get a hold of this one /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif). Cell phones are great when used properly. It seems that everyone that I see in accidents on the side of the road are holding a cell phone - coincedence or not?

DaveV

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #9  

The loud talkers are a pet peeve of mine as well. I travel a lot and encounter all kinds of situations where I hear more than I want to. As a result, I have probably over-compensated in my own use and try to see how softly I can speek and have the conversation heard by the other caller. I get by o.k. and I am sure I am half the loudness, or less, than the loudmouths. My theory is that these folks are obnoxious in other ways as well. I just wish they would travel less.

18-30461-BillSig.jpg

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #10  

I was the same about cellphones until I purchased one some 2 years ago.I have a small contract business and work takes me into some outoftheway places.The cellphone network is intermittent in my area of Aust.and of course when you want it to work it doesn't,typical isn't it! Living beside a main road, in an area where they do work there are alot of people stopping to yak at all hours,and it drives my dogs crazy.As far as driving and talking it is illegal in Oz but I have seen countless people still 'driving' and talking, maybe some folks just never learn unless it's the hard way. I wonder is it the same the world over or not? Kerry.