Television Buying Advice

/ Television Buying Advice #1  

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
Once again, I'm turning to the TBN brain trust for advice. You guys have not steered me wrong yet /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. We are looking to buy a new TV as a Christmas present for ourselves, and I am confused with all the options and features available. Let me explain what I want from this purchase:
1. Bigger screen, 32-36"
2. Front jacks for camcorder playback
3. Good picture quality.
My TV reception comes from DirectTV (local channels from a simple set top antenna) I will be hooking a VCR( and probably a DVD eventually) to the TV. We use it for plain and simple TV viewing, and the occasional video. We are not "movie freaks" looking for surround sound and movie screen format. I just would like a biiger picture than our current 27" set.
The whole HDTV thing has me confused. I personally don't care whether or not I have a HDTV, but I don't want a set that will be useless in a few years. Does anyone have advice for me, from specific brands and models to helping me sort this whole HDTV story out?
Thanks, Will

/ Television Buying Advice #2  
No really much help here but you are on track with DirectTV. I get local channels with my dish so you might want to see what they offer. Most smaller 30 to 40” tv’s have the component inputs (RGB) and digital comb filters. I would stick to Sony, Hitachi or Toshiba on them but that is me. From 300 to $700. The only down fall of the regular Tv sets of this size is the weight and depth. They are awkward. I just say this since many times people buy these units and do not realize how deep and heavy they are. Most units should also have the front RCA jacks too.

If you want to upgrade to a better set, get one that has the old super-video outputs and inputs. If you “might” get into audio down the road forget the Dolby Digital (DD) on the TV. You NEVER use it since you would buy a audio receiver with 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1. The TV DD sounds like a tin can.

If you want HDTV there are some that are like $800 and up. But unless you are a need for HDTV (HD signal) I would not waste the money. I think 2006 is the magic year for HDTV, so it is up to you.

I would just weight out what you want right now and then things you might do down the road movies (dvd), sound, cables to connect (monster is the best). etc. Again just think long term, not just today. Then do some homework on some A/V forums. I have a few that I love to visit. The people make me look antiquated.

You might get a kick out of this:

I am a huge movie guy and my small Toshiba 60” did not cut it. So I bought a Epson PowerLite 821p Projector.

Small Toshiba 60” TV
http://home.comcast.net/~mburnickas/61_inch_1.jpg

Epson PowerLite 821p at only 10.9 feet! I love. only 8 lbs and the size of a small shoebox. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://home.comcast.net/~mburnickas/Epson_at_1091ft2.jpg

/ Television Buying Advice #3  
From what you say i think u don't need HDT TV. just get a good set 32" (i like sony) and your thinking on front av jacks is right on. lots of nice 32 " sets out there today at very reasonable $$$$.

/ Television Buying Advice #4  
First, I don't have a lot of interest in TV so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I would think it wise to buy as large a standard CRT TV as you can fit in your location. In practical terms that limits you to a 36" set I think. I do know Sony made a 40" CRT TV at one time and may still, but they are very expensive for the 4" increase in size.

TV in this country is in transition and in X number of years will all be HDTV. I think you want a HDTV if you plan on using the TV you buy for more than a few years.

Actually HDTV produces a pretty impressive picture, but in addition to that, the HDTV also has a line doubler feature, that tends to make a non HDTV broadcast picture look a bit better than a standard broadcast picture.

You also want a flat screen set, even if you don't know that yet. Something about the flat screens that make them seem so much better.

The good news is that TV sets really have come down in price. So it is possible to get a 36" flat screen standard CRT type TV a lot cheaper these days than when we bought ours about 5 years ago.

Even then, budget is a consideration.

The real question though is should you buy a standard aspect ration ( 4:3 ), or one that is the new wide screen standard (16:9 ).

Not sure what the answer to that one is.

You did not say how big. My comments are directed towards a direct view standard CRT type tv set. If you are thinking larger than 36" then the tune changes.

If you can afford it and the size works for you, go with a 36" direct view standard CRT, HDTV ready for sure. It does not cost that much more and you will be happy with the result of this decision.

Next time you are somewhere with a bunch of TVs on display, check out the difference between normal (old fashioned) TV and the HDTV pictures. Do you want to see those lines on the screen? I don't, and they are more obvious the larger the screen size goes.

Now this being said, I can also confuse you a bit by saying that we bought a 40 standard type Sony projection TV from a friend which we use to watch movies sometimes. And even though we are used to are 36" HDTV in the living room, we certainly do enjoy the movies on that old fashioned 40" projection TV.

Go figure! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Still, I say whatever you buy it should be at least a HDTV, and maybe a widescreen type to boot. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Television Buying Advice #5  
I suggest you go to a local audio/video retailer. The new types of TV's or monitors such as LCD projection, smaller plasma etc are pretty amazing. My personal preference would be for a smaller LCD projection which can be had at a reasonable price plus it is 1080i or high definition with DVI input which is the next level beyond componet video. I don't care much about broadcast high definition, but in the coming year, DVD will be going HD with either Sony's BluRay technology or Tohsibas HDVD. Surround sound can be a complete waste or an incredible experience much depends on the quality of speakers and their placement as well as the room setup. There is much information to digest through so I would suggest a trip to Circuit City, Good Guys etc will get you up to speed about what is available. My interest actually is more in the audio then the video end but I am open to improved video technology. Even todays DVD players have advanced to the "affordable" range with regards to SACD or DVD A. Both offer the possiblity of some pretty incredible audio only performance. Good luck in the maze of video. Rat...

/ Television Buying Advice #6  
As stated earlier, in 2006 HDTV is in by federal law /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

The way I learned about this stuff is talking to people who are in the business of Audio/Video. They can answer ALL of your questions and direct you as to what is right for YOU. Gerard

/ Television Buying Advice #7  
I could be wrong, but it seems like I read that DIGITAL TV will be required by 2006, but that does not mean HDTV. The FCC wants the TV stations to go digital because they can squeeze a lot more channels into the same bandwidth. But the DIGITAL broadcast does not have to be HDTV, instead it can be multiple channels of regular resolution TV.

/ Television Buying Advice #8  
I just bought a Panasonic 27" Flat-Screen TV/DVD/VCR Combo for my fiance' for Christmas.. my big rear projection TV is currently on the blink.. I think the switch relay has gone bad.

/ Television Buying Advice #9  
<font color="purple"> I could be wrong, but it seems like I read that DIGITAL TV will be required by 2006 </font>

You are correct. Digital broadcasting is what will be mandated.

HDTV needs a digital signal; it runs over digital only. But digital itself does not mean HDTV.

All of my local (Phoenix) stations are broadcasting both digital and analog channels. I view only the digital channels; that's where the HDTV programming is, when available. When HDTV is not being broadcast, the digital signal results in a crisper regular view.

/ Television Buying Advice #10  
I too will be getting a new TV for Christmas.

Sounds like you and I are in the same market so let me throw my 2 cents in.

I'm going to get a flat screen CRT type. Leaning towards the 36" Sony.

My reasons for not going with a newer type:
HDTV - I don't really need it. A digital signal looks great. Also, my cable provider only has about 5-10 HDTV channels available but has probably 150 digital channels as well as a few analog. Oh... and you have to pay extra for the HDTV channels.

Plasma - Very nice but still pricy. They're coming down in price very quickly. I think I'll wait a few years until supply has exceeded demand and the prices really do down.

Projection - Very nice as well but have been hearing of a lot of problems with the parts for the video (whatever the lighting elements are called). Either they blow or need annual adjustment. I've heard for this reason, purchasing a 5 year warrantee is highly recommended.

I've found on several (although not all) of the Plasma and projection type TV's that the view gets lost when looking at the TV from a side angle.

Kid factor - I believe a CRT TV is more "kid proof". The tube can be cleaned easily and the TV weighs so much that it can't be moved by a child. Many of the projection and plasma TV's don't have a screen that can be cleaned easily. They also weigh so little that a child could move or worse, knock over.

Brian