An Early Christmas Present

/ An Early Christmas Present #1  

pequeajim

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 425
I want to share a moment of happiness with you all.

Back about a month ago, my wife and I went to a Life Line body screening center. They screen you for several “old people” type of illnesses, (as my son likes to say), one of which is an ultrasound of your aortal artery. Everything came out great for me except the aortal scan which turned up an aneurism.

This is the largest artery in your body and if it is ruptured or cut, well… Let’s just say that it’s been nice knowing you….

I must say that this shook me up a bit because having one of these, you never know what might rupture it. You have to take it easy the rest of your life and at 49, I was not looking forward to that!

I went to the doctors last night for a consultation about this. He advised me that I could live normally, but no impact sports, or vigorous exercise. Well, there went my Rugby (just kidding…). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do ride ATVs though and I was really afraid that I would have to say goodbye to that activity.

He wanted to schedule a CT scan right away to confirm the size. On the size of the aneursim, yellow flag is 3 cm, orange flag is 4-5 cm and red flag, (get to the hospital quick) is greater than 5 cm. Mine was 3.3 cm, so probably not life threatening right now; he wanted to know for sure.

I had the CT scan done today. A CT scan is a series of high resolution pictures of slices of your body, pretty cool!

Since my wife works at the Imaging Center where I had this done, I was able to look at the pics myself, scary! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Anyway, we were in the waiting room and the doctor comes up to us with a serious look on his face and I immediately thought that the ambulance was coming for me!

He paused and said those magical and wonderful words. “THERE”S NO ANEURISM!!”. “Nothing exciting to see there all!”

Phew, was I happy!

I know there were a lot of people praying for me over the past couple of weeks and I want to say thank you! This was a terrific Christmas present for sure!!

Never underestimate the power of prayer!

Jim!

/ An Early Christmas Present #2  
Sounds like the best Christmas present...take care!

/ An Early Christmas Present #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Never underestimate the power of prayer! )</font>

Jim, good for you! Have a wonderful CHRISTmas!!!

/ An Early Christmas Present #4  
WOW, Jim that is great news.
I am interested in this Life Line Body Screening Center. I have never heard of this, is it something new?
PJ

/ An Early Christmas Present
Thanks guys. "I'm a happy boy" as the song goes...

Paul: Here's the web address.

http://www.lifelinescreening.com/

They have several groups that travel around the country. My company's medical covered half of it. I think the total cost is $125.00 for all four tests.

Well worth it if you are over 45.

Jim!

/ An Early Christmas Present #6  
Very happy for you and the outcome...but I'm confused(what else is new)....the original scan shows 3.3mm and the last scan shows nothing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ An Early Christmas Present
The original scan was a ultrasound. This is no where near a clear as a CT which is very high resolution. What showed up on the ultrasound was not what they thought it was. I have no idea what they were dimensioning, but I am sure glad it was not an aneurysm.

/ An Early Christmas Present #8  
Congratulations and best wishes! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ An Early Christmas Present #9  
<font color="blue"> “THERE”S NO ANEURYSM!!”. </font>

Great news /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif !! I'm sure you'll be going to Midnight Mass this year. HAPPY HOLIDAYS! G

/ An Early Christmas Present #10  
Having had my share of scary stuff since I was 47 I can fully appreciate the relief you felt. Glad to hear it worked out OK.

Folks, pay attention to your bodies. Especially when you get past 50 if something doesn't feel right get it checked out ASAP.

I had a heart attack when I was 47. When it happened I refused to believe I was having a heart attack for about 30 minutes before I had my wife call 911. I had an terrible chest pain but kept trying to blame it on indigestion. Fortunately, I remembered that my Dad had a chest pain when he was 65 that he thought was indigestion and waited well over 8 hours before going to the emergency room and it was too late. He died 5 days later. It only took me 30 minutes of denial to make the call.

One last bit of advice: My cardiologist said that if I ever thought I was having another one call 911. When you get to the emergency room in an ambulance they will get to you immediately. If you walk in on your own you may not get looked at for 2 hours or more and it could make the difference between life and death, don't risk it.

Bill Tolle