We are running it dry

/ We are running it dry #1  

chucko

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx1800
I don't know were to post this as TBN does not have a place labeled stupid

We have a big diesal gen set here in case of a power outage.

We have a outage this moring and they don't hook it up.

I go to lunch and see it running and ask why is it running if the power is already up (it was only down for about 1 hour)

They say they were told not the leave the fuel in it so they are running it out. It have about a 200 or 300 gl tank on it

so how well will this thing work afer being run dry?

think they know how to bleed the injectors? I do but I will play dumb

what happens to a enpty tank in the tropics? I guess the water that will get in there will be far better than the fuel

no need to answer the questions because I know the answers.

/ We are running it dry #2  
Why don't you drain the tank for them and use it in your tractor if it is good? If you airtight the tank it will be fine empty. Otherwise condensation may develop inside depending on the temperature changes.

/ We are running it dry
I would have took the fuel if given the chance

/ We are running it dry #4  
IF they run the fuel out of it how will they run it the next time they need it?

/ We are running it dry
I don't know what they are thinking or even if they are thinking. I really worder is they have anything to think with. It was still running when I went home last night

/ We are running it dry #6  
I'd be draining it if it were me. I'd at least fill up my cans before it is all gone. Explain to the idiots that you can save them some hours on the engine by draining the fuel out of the tank.

/ We are running it dry #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> can save them some hours on the engine by draining the fuel out of the tank </font> )</font>

Not to mention the oil and filter change that should just about be due by the time you run 300 gallons through it with no load.

I admit that I run gas and 2-stroke engines dry before storage but I've never done it on a diesel. In fact, I'd probably go in the opposite direction. I'd fill the tank full, stabilize the heck out of it and be ready for the next outage. I can't think of anything worse than trying to get a couple of hundred gallons of diesel delivered during a major power failure. I would have thought that would have been darn near impossible. If they're that worried about it, drain or burn a 100 gallons or so every year or two and have it refilled with fresh, stabilized stuff. At least you'll be ready.

/ We are running it dry
Went by it on the way to lunch today....it is still running!