Ham Radio?

/ Ham Radio? #2  
Anyother Ham's on this fourm?

Several Ham's and cards. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Just kidding.
1967 I built the last shortwave offered in tube and listened to Radio Free Europe from my bedroon at night with the ear phones. That wire is still in my folk's attic to this day. To pursue money and property and a place to scratch the ground I chose to study AC/DC theory and "And, Nand, Nor curcuits". We're manipulating the and-nand-nor now. Allen Bradley powers some mighty nice manufacturing operations and other industries with Programable Logic Controllers. I never have sat down long enough since to do that kind of communication till the net and PC.
Besides, those stingers crowd my night view of the sky but it is a good hobby and or medium.
I have no numbers to throw @ cha.

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ Ham Radio? #3  
I'm WA3GWK. I haven't mounted a rig on the BX2200 yet, but give me some time. The top of the ROPS is a great place for a mag mount antenna!

Dave

/ Ham Radio? #4  
albamadave
I've lost track. How many watts are you allowed today and can you get Mother Mabelle and some good fiddle on the RoPs while you fiddle the 60" mower? I'm not keen on the Kubota and if it's a mag, but I would wonder about reception and running too much power from a small 12 volt. My luck would be to have the thing on a boom mic and not hear the horse fly until he took a chunk out of me. Thats when I'd wish I didn't have a seat belt on.

/ Ham Radio? #5  
Not a Ham but I have had "All you need to get your Ham Radio Technician License" by the ARRL on my bookshelf for several years. I just haven't got around to actually tackling it since kids arrived. The couple of folks that I do know have advised me to wait until the kids are older - only so many hobbies you can juggle at any one time.

/ Ham Radio? #7  
I'm not, but my G'pa was. He had one incredible collection of QC cards from the '40's through the '70's. My Uncle still has his old '50's Hallicraft reciever; still works good.

My grandfathers only claim to fame was he was on the radio(lived in N. Calif), talking to a guy in Pearl City, early in the morning, back in '41... Him and the guy there were talking; my G'pa heard planes in the background and then bomb going off. The other guys said "My God, we're under attack, we're being bombed". They signed off for the rest of the war(radio silence).

My Grandmother walked into the Ham shack with a fresh pot of coffee, and remembers my Gpa giving here a deathly stare, and saying "My God Ma, we're at war; the Japanese are bombing Pearl Harbor". My Grandmother said the look on his face, she never forgot.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Ham Radio? #8  
Hawgee, I think the limit is 2KW PEP output these days. Much more than I run.

I might add a tape player to listen to Flatt and Scruggs, but I don't try to pick my dobro and drive the tractor at the same time!

Dave

/ Ham Radio? #9  
<font color=blue>dobro</font color=blue>
Nice key word. My favorite. Even if played badly.
Nickle Creek "ain't" bad either. Looks like that music will always be "unbroken".
Do all Ham operators like smoked ham?
I do like your numbers. Like having "4 HUNTN" on a pickup truck. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Ham Radio? #10  
I got my license amost 20 years ago, but haven't been active in over 10 years. I did remember to renew my license a couple years ago to make sure I don't have to start all over again someday. Just too many other things (kids, etc) to keep up with. Things have probably changed a lot. Last I heard they don't make people learn code to use voice. I guess that's OK, but it kind of made me feel cheated, since I went to all the trouble to learn code! I've been thinking of looking into what kind of setup I could get to use like a cell phone in case of an emergency, since I don't want to pay a monthly fee just to have a cell phone for emergency use. Any ideas on that?

N4IMO