What is proper etiquette for posting on the net?

/ What is proper etiquette for posting on the net? #1  

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
The other day I saw a post where a users full name was spelled out.

I have always thought it taboo to use full names and addresse's in all public forums and posts unless the owner explicitly gave permission to do so. I am naturally excluding information passed relating to business information like a Tractor Supply address and phone number.

What are your thoughts about your personal information being plastered on the Net without your prior consent, I'm curious?

/ What is proper etiquette for posting on the net? #2  
Pineridge,

You are very likely talking about my posting which I have since edited at the request of the person involved. The posting however was not definitive and was worded as a legitimate question relating to information I found through google. I have already apologized to the person involved even though I only asked if the username I found on the net in another forum from another site was actually that person. I had no proof either way... I realize none of that made sense unless you knew the whole story.

I accept full responsibility and like has been mentioned before when reading things people typed, versus things that are spoken misunderstandings will occur. Based on humerous behaviour in regards to protecting identity in another thread from that person, I misunderstood that to be a "humerous" attempt to hide identity and not a sincere desire to do so. In my line of work I deal with net etiquette more in a week than most do in a month, but in this case, I read the situation completely wrong.

As I said, I have extended my sincerest apology to that person. I hope he forgives me.

/ What is proper etiquette for posting on the net?
Getut I was actually only asking this question in general conversation. I was not specifically directing it at any one member and I really can't say that your post was the one that I saw in the first place, sorry if it struck a nerve it was not intended to do so.

Just trying to find out how other members feel about this issue. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What is proper etiquette for posting on the net? #4  
Using full names is not a problem. There are thousands of people with the same name as me and you and most everyone else. While I would not give out my address, that is probably not a problem either unless someone wanted to come looking for you because of something you said. But if someone really wants to find you, there are many search sites available that you can access to find out about most anyone. Something as simple as appraisal district web sites. You can search a name and, if they own property, it will tell you where it is located.

/ What is proper etiquette for posting on the net? #5  
In almost all of my postings I include my full name and my general location. That's because I tend to stand behind what I say and have no fear of not being anonymous.
The general reasons to be a little less forthcoming are generally related to identity theft .... I'm less worried about it on the sites I frequent, than I am about all the information that is in the daily mail.
The only time I have a problem with names and addresses and the like being used is when they're not yours (yours is gemneral, not aimed at you or anyone in specific) and you're using them to "out" someone that you don't like, agree with, etc.
"Net etiquette" will differ depending on venue, group, and mode of communication.

/ What is proper etiquette for posting on the net? #6  
Bill.

I would have to agree with you on this issue. I think some people go overboard about their privacy, but maybe thats an outback aussie attitude. If anyone wishes to send me money please send to

Vin Dowd
p/o box 1139 or Crocker Rd
Waikerie
South Australia
Australia 5330

/ What is proper etiquette for posting on the net? #7  
Provide your bank account information and I'll direct deposit it to your account!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ What is proper etiquette for posting on the net? #8  
The difference the way that I see it is that if a person chooses to post his name, or for that matter, any other information about themselves, that is fine. It is when another person makes the information available without the person who's information it is, and they don't have the ability to censor or remove it where the problem lies. It would be like me posting someone else's home telephone number. Since I am the one that had his information posted that is referred to in this original thread posting, I will say that I am not angry at the person that did it, because they immediately removed it when requested. The last time that this happened to me on this site, was last year. In that post, the fellow TBN member did a lot of research and posted my name, address, and date and location of birth, and even my telephone number if I remember correctly. In that instance, a PM to a moderator was all that it took to have it removed. In this last instance the moderator that I sent the PM to declined to edit the post stating that </font><font color="blue" class="small">( "you know how it infuriates you (and others sometimes) if a moderator edits any of your posts, and now you're asking me to edit someone else's post that violates no forum rules that I'm aware of."*)</font>. I can clearly understand this moderators thinking, however, I believe that this is one time that the rules need to be modified. The moderator that I PM'd, also said that there was no way to know if </font><font color="blue" class="small">( "He simply asked if that was your name, and since I don't know whether it is or not, that means I don't know whether this is a joke you want to play on him, or whether it's a serious request."*)</font>. I can also see this side of the moderators dilemma, and I believe that there should be some way that a moderator has to verify who we actually are without that information being available to the general membership. Just like the site has our personal e mail address, but it is no longer available to others, so should our real names be available, and any other information that he management would need to administer the site. I fully understand the dilemma that my request put the moderator in and his reasoning behind his reply. While personal information is available to some that know how to ferret it out on the internet, most people don't, and I for one, prefer that my personal information not be publicly published without my consent or my doing so on my own. If you click on the profiles of the active members here, it is about evenly split between people that have only listed their first name or no name and people that have posted their full name. Identity theft by a professional thief is difficult to resolve, but making it easy for the person that doesn't know how to do it isn't to my liking. The time that it takes to fix your credit is quite extensive and difficult and I am certain that none of us want to experience it. I have never hidden from any one at TBN and have freely given them my name, address, phone number, e mail address, etc. when there is a reason to do so. I just don't see any reason to put it out to the world. The next time that you have some spare time, do a Google search on your home or business telephone number, your address, or your user name on this and other sites. You will be amazed at what information is already out there about you. There are a lot of lunatics out there that can do some serious damage to your lifestyle without trying if they get even the smallest amount of personal information. An example would be calling your home in the middle of the night and hanging up when you answer. Have that happen a few times and you will want to resolve it quickly, but can't since some calls cannot be traced with caller ID. This is just one example, and I won't go into others so as to help the internet trolls with how to be more obnoxious.. With 16,870 members presently registered on the site, it is hard to know the moral character of all of them. If you want to post your personal information, that is fine, however, others shouldn't be posting your personal information without your concent. Thanks....... Junk...

* Quotes posted with Moderators Permission.

/ What is proper etiquette for posting on the net? #9  
<font color="blue">The other day I saw a post where a users full name was spelled out... </font>

I believe the general rule of etiquette should be this...

If a TBN poster uses his or her name on the forum, it is perfectly acceptable for me to use that poster's name also.

However, if that poster NEVER refers to themselves by name in the forum, then I should show repect of that person's privacy and only refer to them by their screen name.

/ What is proper etiquette for posting on the net? #10  
I think that's a pretty good summation. It's a rephrasing of the Golden Rule, Do unto others as they would have done unto themselves. It doesn't always work, but it eases some of the rough edges.