Sad day for English Hunting: Fox hunting banned

/ Sad day for English Hunting: Fox hunting banned #1  

Bob_Skurka

Fox hunting with beagles, something that has been considered the sport of kings has now been banned. It is still legal to hunt fox, just not with dogs. They have been slowly nipping away at gun owners to the point of complete bans on many types and strict registration of the few remaining types of guns. Hunters have endured all sorts of malcontents pestering them while at their sport. It is just a sad thing to see.

Here is an article from the BBC:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Defiant hunts put ban to the test
Huntsman holds up fox shot by South Durham hunt on Saturday
Foxes were still being killed on Saturday Thousands of hunt supporters have been out on the first day of hunting in England and Wales since the ban on hunting with dogs came into force.

The Countryside Alliance called on hunt supporters to meet as normal, but vowed they would stay within the law. Although hunting with dogs is now a criminal offence, exercising hounds, chasing a scent trail and flushing out foxes to be shot are still legal.

One anti-hunt protester was taken to hospital after a violent clash in Kent. The man suffered facial injuries after an incident involving a group of men at the end of the East Kent Hunt, near Ashford. In Wiltshire, police arrested four men under the new law suspected of hunting with dogs. The group, from South Wales and Ireland, have been released on bail but police say they may face prosecution under new poaching laws.

It is believed more than 270 hunts went out on Saturday, just one day after the ban came in. They were greeted by big crowds in many areas of the country, with actor Jeremy Irons and former minister Kate Hoey among the supporters.

Anti-hunt groups - such as the League Against Cruel Sports - deployed 100 monitors at hunts to check for illegal activity.

WAYS TO HUNT LEGALLY
-Hunting rabbits or rats instead of foxes or hares
-Using no more than two dogs to flush out a fox to be shot
-Drag or trail hunting (using an artificial scent to hunt with hounds)
-Using hounds to flush out a mammal to be hunted by a bird of prey
-Exercising packs of hounds without using them to hunt
-Using terriers to flush and shoot foxes, to protect gamebirds

Mike Hobday, from the league, said video evidence of the law being broken was to be passed onto police. "Our evidence suggests that most hunts did operate within the law, many meeting and promptly going home and others peacefully exercising their hounds or drag hunting. "However, we have received reports of what we believe is clearly illegal activity by a number of hunts across Britain."

BBC correspondent Simon Hall at Postbridge on Dartmoor in the West Country said 2,000 people had turned out to welcome the hunt. And the BBC's Sarah Mukherjee, with the Beaufort Hunt in Badminton, Gloucestershire said several hundred people had gathered on foot to see the hunt, with 150 on horseback.

Tom Heap, BBC rural affairs correspondent, said it appeared that hunstman had, for now, been sticking to the new rules.

And while there was big turnout in support of the hunts on Saturday, he said it remains to be seen if the level of backing can be maintained. Before riding out with the hunt, former minister Kate Hoey told crowds: "We will prevail and this law will have to be overturned."

Judith Moritz, in Melton Mowbray, said anti-hunt activists were out to monitor the four hunts operating in that part of Leicestershire, but were outnumbered by large crowds of followers.

The Countryside Alliance said the meets would show the new law was "impossibly difficult to determine" and open to different interpretations. Chief executive Simon Hart said: "There has been hunting in England for 700 years. This [ban] may take two or three years, perhaps two or three months, to unpick.

"It will be nothing more than a temporary break in normal service, as broadcasters say."

Conservative family spokeswoman Theresa May said if the party was in government again it would make sure the law was repealed.

Suffolk Chief Constable Alastair McWhirter, the Association of Chief Police Officers' spokesman on rural policing, told the BBC the law would be enforced, although the police would not break up hunts. The Attorney General Lord Goldsmith has so far not issued any instructions to police on how they should deal with any hunters who do violate the law. He said he would consult the director of public prosecutions and the police "in the near future" to decide what measures to take on hunting prosecutions. )</font>

/ Sad day for English Hunting: Fox hunting banned #2  
Tally Ho Bob,

What next, no hounds no traps.

They banned rabbit traps in this country. now we have nothing to catch foxes (six rabbit traps around a buried chicken always worked.) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Sad day for English Hunting: Fox hunting banned #3  
Bob, Vin,up here in Canada you need to have all firearm's registered, you need to pass an acquisition course if you plan to purchase a non restricted firearm's, the list goes on and on. To make mater's worse last year they close hunting to a swamp, where many generations hunted duck's, I don't think it's going to get better...cag

/ Sad day for English Hunting: Fox hunting banned #4  
250,000 people went fox hunting today, anyway! Civil disobedience at its finest. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sad day for English Hunting: Fox hunting banned #5  
So is that a red or blue state?

/ Sad day for English Hunting: Fox hunting banned #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 250,000 people went fox hunting today, anyway! Civil disobedience at its finest. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

)</font>

You gotta love those Limey's. Hunt them foxes I say. The rest of the Politically Correct are just a bunch of communist idiots.

/ Sad day for English Hunting: Fox hunting banned #7  
Following the same thread of people who are out of their gourd.

Check this one out (may have already been mentioned here but not sure):

http://www.animalactivism.org/resources/online/story.php?pr=118

If you really want some humor, read some of the comments by people below the article. They will argue anything to justify their point of view.

/ Sad day for English Hunting: Fox hunting banned #8  
I am a hunter,I only hunt what I can eat.
I hate to see hunters rights eroded,but to me the fox hunt in England is kind of vicious to say the least...the dogs tearing a fox apart but that is there tradition and I see a bunch of animal rights wackos that would like to outlaw ALL types of hunting and fishing. I have coon hunted before,I enjoy the hunt but I do not shoot the coon out of the tree( thats just me),I just like to hear the dogs run. I do not care for " canned hunts" where people pay to go to these reserves and have a lion or something turned loose just so some hunter can shoot one,to me that is not hunting that is just killing.
Again I only take what I can eat.

/ Sad day for English Hunting: Fox hunting banned #9  
I hunt what I eat also. I only bother with rodents if their causing me an immediate problem. So hunting a fox to me wouldn't be worth the bother.

But hunters are pressured to stop doing it anyway. Never going to end either because some people need to have a reason to battle something.

/ Sad day for English Hunting: Fox hunting banned
Well folks, I'm a non-hunter, so I eat what other people kill. And as for the fox hunting, I think throwing 700 years of tradition down the toilet is a very sad thing. I consider this a "rights" issue. And while I don't participate, and while I might not even want to watch, I still believe others have the right to participate. My wife wears fur coats, I wear leather shoes & belts, we grill steaks and fish. How are my actions all that much different from those of you who hunt? I think it is easy to say that MY sport is safe because I use the meat to sustain my life, but hunting rights are being eroded all over the globe, often to the detriment of the animals health (over population of deer herds in the US).

There is more to hunting than just food. There are furs and leather, and those are legitimate goods. Further, there is simply the nature of the animal instinct. Fox hunting with dogs may allow the dogs to kill the fox, or those dogs may tree the fox and the hunter may shoot it, in any case the fox is dead. Absent the hunter, in nature, those dogs would hunt down the fox anyway. The English fox hunt is simply a civilized version of nature.

I'm reminded of the "so called assault weapons" and look into the closet and see lovely Mrs_Bob's gold inlayed Remington 11-87 that she used to shoot trap with. According to Senators Kennedy, Feinstein, *****, Harken, et al, that gun is "capable" of accepting a magazine of greater than 5 rounds, therefore it is an assault weapon. Gun banners tried to break apart gun owners and split them into different groups. The military gun collectors were divided from the hunters. Here, we see that "hunting for food" is now separating itself from "hunting for sport."

If hunters themselves split their ranks, then it is no wonder the hunters will lose.