OSHA Regulations

/ OSHA Regulations #1  

imported_OWDouglas

Silver Member
Does anyone know what the OSHA regulation for standing on a hard concrete floor. I checked the OSHA website but could not find what I am looking for. The scenario is, at work they expect people to stand for approx 2 3/4 hours straight, without being able to sit or take a break. The floor is concrete. I was just wondering what OSHA's stand on this is. Appreciate any response. Thanks

/ OSHA Regulations #2  
I don't know if you'll find any such regulation. Standing on concrete isn't good for your legs and feet. I'd talk to your boss about getting some rubber mats. Another thing is using a small box (on the floor) so you can get one foot elevated a few inches, then alternate with the other foot. That eases strain on your lower back.

/ OSHA Regulations #4  
I've never heard of any such regulation, and I do have some experience with the regs. That's not to say there isn't one, but since I'm not involved in manufacturing work, I've not seen one.

Your best bet would be to first discuss the problem with your supervisor. Explain the problem and see if a solution can be reached. If not, then move up to your safety director. You might need to get your union involved, if you have one. In other words, follow proper procedures to ensure that you have documentation regarding the problem. If you still cannot get satisfaction, then you have the right to contact OSHA directly. And understand that it is your right to do that. You cannot be disciplined for taking such an action.

If there is no specific regulation regarding the problem, OSHA would use the General Duty Clause to deal with the employer.

Good luck.

/ OSHA Regulations #5  
To my knowledge there is no regs on length of time employees can stand regardless of the walking surface. As suggested, ask for an anti-fatigue mat or a foot rest. As far as the General Duty Clause, I doubt OSHA would site your employer. I'd check to see if OSHA has issued any field directives (instructions to their inspectors on how to deal with situations not directly delt with by the regs) on this issue. In discussing this with your safety coordinator, I'd approach it from the ergonomics side.

I have overseen my factory's safety/ergo program for 10 years and we have not had a Lost Time Accident in 4 years and have the best safety record in our corporation. I believe the main reason is because we embraced ergonomics early on. The very first change we made was buying anti-fatigue mats for all employees who had to stand to do their job.

If your employer won't buy the mat, consider buying your own, after all its YOUR body at the end of the day.

/ OSHA Regulations #6  
The only regulation that a case like this would or could fall under at this time is the General duty clause. OSHA has not adopted an ergonomics standard yet and probably will not for a while.

The only way I see you could make this an OSHA issue is if you had a lost time worker comp. case for an employee who had some kind of problem in that situation. Any reasonable company would provide the proper antifatigue mats.

Randy

/ OSHA Regulations #7  
Have you asked for an anti-fatigue mat? I am sure they will give you one.

/ OSHA Regulations #8  
I thought the Fed reg had a 2 hour max without a rest period?

Can the layout be changed & operator job be multitasked to allow for all class motions? I'd look there before adding mats & boxes - they are tripping hazards, maintenance hassles & may degrade static conductivity requirements.

/ OSHA Regulations #9  
you could try dansko shoes. they are designed for standing on concrete for extended periods of time. i have worn them for 16 hours straight and they make a big difference. they are recomended by the american podiatric society. they are not perfect, but my body doesnt hurt after work either.