Cordless welder???

/ Cordless welder??? #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
No motor, no cords, to do MIG welding???
ZAP-PAC
Has anyone had any experience with this product?

/ Cordless welder??? #2  
Never tried it, (never seen one)

HOWEVER I have successfully welded using a 24VDC old army genset that put out 100 amps.

I bypassed the carbon pile regulator getting about 28VDC and welded many projects very successfully.

I'd say take any 2 HD truck batteries wired in series for 24Volts and add a rod holder and a ground clamp and weld away.

/ Cordless welder??? #3  
Our mechanic has welded with a handheld spool gun that was made to be hooked up to a bank of batteries.. 24-36v dc.

This what you are talking about?

Soundguy

/ Cordless welder??? #4  
I have a stick welder on my jeep. It runs off an extra alt. Welds really nice. It is a homemade unit. Much less expensive.

That looks like an interesting product. I wonder how well it performs.

/ Cordless welder???
Thanks, it is good to know that they can weld properly.

I am looking for a welding machine for the farm. I have No power in the present shed and will need to weld to build the new garage/shop. I'm taking a welding class now and I am comfortable with stick but MIG is so darn easy, fast and good looking. The problem is that the smallest generator/welders by Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln are $1500+ and they cannot do MIG. To do MIG the Generator/welder would be in the $2500+ range. The disadvantage of the battery welders is the 20-30 minute time limit before recharging. This is the first time I had realized they made these. I found another battery MIG gun called Goweld for about $800.

I am still looking and trying to figure out which kind to start off with. I have several months before I need one and I always enjoy looking for "the next tool". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Cordless welder??? #6  
My setup is a 220 volt, 225amp, AC lincoln stick welder. I use a coleman 6850 peak 5500 watt continuous gas generator to run it at even the highest, well at least 205 amp, setting. I got the welder from a dead guy for free but they go for 250$ or so. The generator came from costco for 499$.

I can remote weld to my hearts content with this setup. My most common use is to add material to the grouser bars of my dozer. The generator spins my grinder just fine too and runs flood lights all while welding along at a more typical 90-100 amps.

DC welers use more wattage so if you run DC stick then the contractor generator listed may not cut it on thick metal.

/ Cordless welder??? #7  
Do you already have welding machines that your like? Or, are you just looking for a portable welder?

How about material size, will you be welding a lot of thick stuff?

Have you thought about the duty cycle of the welding? For example, do you think the task you have in mind will require long periods of continuous welding?

Sorry about all the questions, but before I threw out any potential ideas I would like to make sure they fit. I assume you are trying to keep cost quite low.....

/ Cordless welder???
Highbeam, the generator and separate welder is a possible combination.

WhiteRock, presently I have no welder or generator. The thickest material will probably be 3/8" or whatever "I" beams I use for the second story floor, tractor implement projects, gate, stairs, railing, and fence projects. I will probably be welding slowly and measuring and cutting so duty cycle does not have to be high. I have a half semester of welding experience and can do stick or MIG but would prefer both from one portable machine... am I asking for something that does not exist? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Cordless welder??? #9  
I agree with highbeam. Mig gives you finess and bells and whistles.. but for brute force welding.. an old trusty lincoln stick welder can really glue some metal together. I'd get a 180-225 amp stick welder and use that from a generator.. but thats me. I've got a little buzzbox at home... but will one day upgrade to a larger stick welder.,

Soundguy

/ Cordless welder??? #10  
I don't know if they make MIG units that will also stick weld. They probably do. I have a MIG unit that I use a flux core wire and no shielding gas pretty often. I like it. Not as nice as the shield.

My questions were ground work for the generator path as well. The other guys are already there. The generator gives you a lot of other appliance options and later you can use the welder in the shop.

Depend on your budget/build yourself, I was going to suggest some options using your tractor and putting together an inexpensive generator. If you have a line on a 8-14 HP motor, you could put one together pretty inexpensively. It just depend on how much you like and how much time you have to build. I guess its just exchanging time and money. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif