getting rid of briar bushes

/ getting rid of briar bushes #1  

twinstackram

Silver Member
Tractor
international 234
We bought 8.5 acres last yr. it has a 1 acre pond on it, on one side of the pond it has a lot of rose bushes or briars,I'm wanting to clear,I know that they have a very good root system,thought about burning off what I can then go from there,do you guys have any advice for this?

/ getting rid of briar bushes #2  
I assume you are getting rid of Mulit-flora roses. I have been pushing them out on my property with my FEL. I have sprayed in the past with Chaser and know it will be a long battle to rid our property of these. You do have to either mow or treat the area with chemicals to rid yourself of these pesky briars.

/ getting rid of briar bushes #3  
We had some of them. I must confess I don't know much about how to deal with them properly.

But it SEEMS like in our case, after brush hogging them and keeping at the area, and planting some grass seed, that they are not there anymore.

As a matter of fact, I am wanting to get some more growing on the right away for the new sewer line that went in recently. To add at keeping the motorcycles/ATVs away... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wonder what the best way to getting them growing again is???? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ getting rid of briar bushes #4  
Henro,
just let the area grow up, they will come back. The birds in our area keep them seeded too often. Groups in Illinois have been trying to make them a noxious weed which means you must control them. I have never had a problem getting them to grow, just a problem getting them really killed. Do you have any around you which are still growing? The red seed hips are what you need to put down to seed them.

/ getting rid of briar bushes
where they are is far enough up from the pond I could possibly get my dads D4 cat to clear them and some of the other unwanted stuff out of the way,but I don;y want to disturb that part of thepond to much because thats where most of the water comes from. I want to get it where we can walk all the way around the pond,besides that I get tired of getting butchered up when I drive by them when I mow.

/ getting rid of briar bushes #6  
<font color="blue"> I want to get it where we can walk all the way around the pond,besides that I get tired of getting butchered up when I drive by them when I mow. </font>

twinstackram,

Does that mean you cannot cut them for some reason, like the slope is too steep for your tractor? Or you don't have a rotary cutter?

My experience (limited perhaps, compared to some) is that if you cut them and continue to mow the area, they will not be able to grow back...

/ getting rid of briar bushes #7  
Henro,
We have some on our farm which are too big to drive over and to wide to push in with a FEL. I ussually cut them back with loppers until I can get into them with the FEL. I have also pushed a log over them to protect me when pushing them out. They can get really big, but you are right. if you mow them you control them

/ getting rid of briar bushes #8  
As the others have said keep them mowed down and they will go away. Be careful they can put holes in your tractor tire !

Ben

/ getting rid of briar bushes #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> lot of rose bushes or briars, </font> )</font>

Multiflora Rose

/ getting rid of briar bushes #10  
I doubt that burning will do much on multiflora rose. I have it growing in spots all over my property--any uncultivated spot with an opening in the trees. I've spent the past few weekends trying to cut roses and blackberries away from an old barbed wire fence enough to take out the fence, and in the process got into some poison ivy, so be careful. I have tried some poison ivy and brush killer spray on roses around the edge of my yard (made by Ortho I think, but there's a Roundup brush killer product too) and it seems to slow them down and will kill them eventually, though it might need more than one application. I don't plan to eradicate it all though (as if that was possible)--I would miss the smell of wild roses during that brief period in May when they bloom.