1999 silverado comments

/ 1999 silverado comments #1  

crafty

Tractor
b2910
I have not been on this board for quite some time, if my post is redundant in comment and complaints I apologize. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar exerperiences to mine. if so have you resolved them or do you still spend more time at the dealership then driving.

I have been a long time fan of Chevy trucks, I have owned about 10 in my 16 years of driving. I have never had so many problems with a vechile until my '99 1500 5.3 z71. I have 37000 miles worth of grief:

1)The rear disks had to be replaced at 500 miles
2. Sliding window had to be replaced 6 times due to water leaks.
3. On the fourth transfer case (only used when pull the trailer with 4 quads out of the back yard about 2000lbs total)
4. Computer has been flashed over 6 times to update the shifting, timing, "fix the pining" which I still have.
5. Door hinges squeaking terribly.
6. Brake Master cylinder defective replaced twice.
7. Steering shaft replaced three times still rattles.
8. brakes are soft, pads look good, pedal hits floor dealer said it is normal.
9. Daylight running passenger side lights replaced monthly.
10. Put 600 lbs of crushed stone in the bed which sank the ass end 4 inches now the rear end bounces traveling down the highway, so much for the idea of a half ton.
11. on the fourth trannie dealer said I should put a trannie cooler on since I'm overhearing it with the quads/trailer, (I do wood working/cabinet making as a hobby) pulling the wood shop (3500lbs) and the camper (4100 abs). I asked the dealer if he meant in addition to the factory cooler and what exactly I was doing beyond the capibilty of the truck. thier response was a shoulder shrug.
12. third rear axle seals keep blowing out.
13. second throttle body gas pedal still sticks.

any comments appreciated.

/ 1999 silverado comments #2  
Whew, crafty, that sounds tough./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Sorry to hear it. I haven't had a vehicle that bad since the '66 Ford sedan I bought new.

Bird

/ 1999 silverado comments #3  
With as many problems as you've had, I have to ask why you still have it?

I'd sell.

Dave

18-29411-dave.jpg

We're all in this together! (3)
Ex-Executive Ex-Yuppie Tractor Owner

/ 1999 silverado comments #4  
crafty,

You and I are in the same boat. Well, actually, your boat is sounds much worse than mine but go to Dr. Dan's thread about Ford Diesels and you will see my complaints about my 95 K2500 6.5L Turbo diesel...

My truck has not been in the shop as much as yours but we have similar complaints.....

I'm going to see what happens with my truck over the next 10 months or so and if I have to keep putting out money for repairs, its going to get sold....

Later..
DanButNotTheDr. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 1999 silverado comments
I would like to sell or trade but it is hard to bring perspective buyers to the dealer and show them the torn apart vechile on the lift. Most buyers also refuse to paying blue book at this point too.

/ 1999 silverado comments #6  
Crafty,

I don't know if your putting us on or you actually have a truck from haiti...

If you had those multiple/repeat defects, your truck more than qualifies under your state's lemon law and General Motors buy-back program.

Contact your state's attorney general's office for more information.

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ 1999 silverado comments #7  
Crafty, I had a 71 Ford that was in the shop 48 times in the first seven months(all major drivetrain components replaced at least once). The day the warrenty wore out, I sold it and bought a 72 Chev p/u that I put 150,000 + trouble free miles on. They all produce the trucks from hell on occasion.

/ 1999 silverado comments #8  
Re: 1999 silverado - Lemon Laws

Connecticut Lemon Law Statutes

Regarding "lemon cars", this law greatly affects the rights of car buyers. For any product which has a written warranty if any part of the product, or the product itself is considered defective, the warrantor must permit the buyer the choice of either a refund or replacement of the product.

Law firms have argued successfully to juries that the lemon manufacturers should be given three attempts to fix the defect. Continued attempts to repair beyond the initial three should not be allowed. This is called the "three strikes and you're out" principle.
{from the web}

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

/ 1999 silverado comments #9  
Crafty,

I recently had the same problem but with a Dodge ram Q-cab 1500 4x4 w/360. What I thought was a tranny problem turned out to be an engine problem. The problem was diagnosed as a lean-burn mis-fire. Dodge admitted they had a problem and were working on a fix but had none at the time. Well that was not what I wanted to here /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. They offered me a 100,000 mile warranty on the truck but I usually sell at 36,000 and I was there. I declined their offer and filed for arbitration on the truck. Well to make a long story short, they wound up buying the truck back. Cut me a check and I replaced it with a 2000 GMC Z71 4x4 4dr. There are some things I miss about the Dodge vs. the gimmy.

Check out your options as far as filing arbitration. My owners manual had the forms included with it. If yours doesn't contact your dealer. Good luck!

2-31714-Cliffsig.gif

/ 1999 silverado comments #10  
I have not in the past been very brand loyal, but I have to say that GM trucks are the biggest piece of junk on the road. My agency which uses 4x4 trucks for public land management forestry use has had so much trouble with GM trucks self-destructing that we will not purchase any more. EVERY chevy 4x4 always has problems with the front axle, transfer case and transmission. In addition, the shock mounts always break and the ball joints and dash electronics never last. The motor is about the only thing that seems to work OK. Sure we use them rougher than most people do, but we also have just about every other brand made and we never have that much problem with other brands (we have about 80-90 4wd trucks at my location).