BP explosion

/ BP explosion #1  

daedong

Veteran Member
What an awful thing to happen. I feel for all those injured and the family and friends of the deceased.

The irony of this is it happened when there is a shortage of oil as well as coinciding with a sudden drop in price.

/ BP explosion #2  
I was visiting a refinery in Houston yesterday, when this happened. It's very sad indeed. That's 14 people that didn't return to their family and loved ones at the end of their day.

It just shows you how fast things can change. I've been in three refinery/chemical plant evacuations. Two of them were small explosions, the third was a hydrogen cyanide leak. The cyanide leak gassed three of us, one guy went down and had to be dragged out (recovered immediately). Myself and the third guy managed to get to fresh air and were fine. It's scary stuff.

/ BP explosion #3  
My brother works for an environmental company and is contracted out by a ton of refineries in the Houston area. Thankfully he was no where near that when it happened. I also have another brother who is an operator at a petrochemical refinery. They are dangerous places to work. It is a shame so many lost there lives and countless were injured. I heard on the news that the explosion busted windows miles away.

/ BP explosion #4  
You would never believe the devastation unless you were seen the effects at ground zero. I seen 12" I beams pulled out of the ground concrete footing rebar and all heaved 1000'
We had a big explosion where I work back in 1993.

/ BP explosion #5  
I don't know if I'm the only one, but do you think it could be terrorist related? I haven't heard yet what caused this to happen. Gerard

/ BP explosion #6  
They said the cause is associated with construction work. Employees with Jacobs Engineering were doing work on the unit that exploded.

/ BP explosion #7  
This may sound very odd, but that's good to hear. Gerard

/ BP explosion #8  
Here's a photo of some of the destruction. This photo is from AFP news group.

Attachments

• 612833-BP explosion.jpg
    612833-BP explosion.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 173
   / BP explosion #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't know if I'm the only one, but do you think it could be terrorist related? )</font>

I think that is a natural thought process, but i don't personally think it was terrorist, just an unfortunate industrial accident.