Veteran Member

Default BP explosion

What an awful thing to happen. I feel for all those injured and the family and friends of the deceased.

The irony of this is it happened when there is a shortage of oil as well as coinciding with a sudden drop in price.

Tractor
    L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM

Default Re: BP explosion

I was visiting a refinery in Houston yesterday, when this happened. It's very sad indeed. That's 14 people that didn't return to their family and loved ones at the end of their day.

It just shows you how fast things can change. I've been in three refinery/chemical plant evacuations. Two of them were small explosions, the third was a hydrogen cyanide leak. The cyanide leak gassed three of us, one guy went down and had to be dragged out (recovered immediately). Myself and the third guy managed to get to fresh air and were fine. It's scary stuff.

Tractor
    Kubota B2620, Toro 2000 Series Z Master

My brother works for an environmental company and is contracted out by a ton of refineries in the Houston area. Thankfully he was no where near that when it happened. I also have another brother who is an operator at a petrochemical refinery. They are dangerous places to work. It is a shame so many lost there lives and countless were injured. I heard on the news that the explosion busted windows miles away.

You would never believe the devastation unless you were seen the effects at ground zero. I seen 12" I beams pulled out of the ground concrete footing rebar and all heaved 1000'
    We had a big explosion where I work back in 1993.

Tractor
    KIOTI CK20 GEAR.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but do you think it could be terrorist related? I haven't heard yet what caused this to happen. Gerard

Tractor

They said the cause is associated with construction work. Employees with Jacobs Engineering were doing work on the unit that exploded.

Tractor
    KIOTI CK20 GEAR.

This may sound very odd, but that's good to hear. Gerard

Tractor

Here's a photo of some of the destruction. This photo is from AFP news group.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks as though a tower blew.

Egon

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't know if I'm the only one, but do you think it could be terrorist related? )</font>

I think that is a natural thought process, but i don't personally think it was terrorist, just an unfortunate industrial accident.