Hearing protection

/ Hearing protection #1  

toddler

Gold Member
Tractor
Previously: Kubota B2710. Now Deere 3520
Hi All,
Was reading another thread, and it touched on hearing protection. Got me curious. I wear earmuff type hearing protection when I use my tractor, lawn mower, or contractor saw. Always. Use a helmet/hearing protector/face shield when I chainsaw (with chaps) or use a "weed wacker".
(Usually wear a hat too without the helmet, but accidentally left it inside yesterday. I now have burn lines in front of and behind where the earmuff headband was on my poor balding head to remind me of that./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif)
Anyway, do most of us/you wear hearing protection, or am I in the minority?
Todd

/ Hearing protection #2  
I use a helmut, face shield, ear-protector combination when operating a chain saw, weed-eater, DR trimmer, etc. but not on a tractor.

/ Hearing protection #3  
Todd,
I wear the muffs w/speakers and use a "walkman" radio for cutting the grass. With 5 ac. of yard it gets boring while cutting. If I am doing loader work or just moving around and getting on and off the tractor alot I don't wear them.

18-30445-von.gif

/ Hearing protection #4  
Todd -- Having served in the navy and Marine Corps, I've always been protective of my hearing. That said, however, I wear them on the tractor only when operating at PTO speed. Borrowed a digital sound meter from work and found that the noise levels only begin to approach (not hit) the limits for prolonged exposure above 2400 rpm when measured from Clementine's seat at head height.

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Hearing protection #5  
I wear the muff type (Sordin is the brand), but like Pete, only at PTO speeds. I go for full riot gear when weed-whackin': Boots, jeans, long sleeves, safety glasses, hearing protection, and a hat. I've been hit by loose gravel, twigs and other stuff that was moving too quickly to identify. The muff-type hearing protection not only blocks sound but acts like a hard hat for my ears, too.

Paul

/ Hearing protection #6  
If spending more than a few minutes on the tractor, I wear ear muffs. Usually, I wear the same outfit I use for the chain saw and brush cutter; a Husky helmet/face shield/ear muff combo.

I have so many bushes and poison oak that try to wack me in the face, the face shield comes in handy!

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Hearing protection #7  
I always -- always wear hearing protection using any equipment, weedeater, chainsaw, tractor.... I will not let anyone else use any of my equipment with out hearing protection.... I have to much trouble talking to my father. Also have some hearing loss do to early exposure to gun fire, and DO NOT want any more...

/ Hearing protection #8  
I'm like Jag...I have some hearing loss and don't want to loose any more. I wear the foam plug type when I'm using my Gravely to mow the lawn or when using the Kubota.

/ Hearing protection #9  
Foam earplugs at PTO speed and chainsawing for more than a minute or two. I definitely need to add some leg armor to my collection for weedwhacking /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Hearing protection #10  
I DON'T CURRENTLY USE HEARING PROTECTION BUT AM PLANNING ON GETTING SOME SOON - MY WIFE COMPLAINS THAT I TALK TOO LOUD WHEN I COME IN FROM WORKING ON MY BX!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif