Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Fullsized JCB Loader/Backhoe

Default Junk Yard Wars

Anyone ever see it?

Saw it once and immediately enjoyed it. Seems they have a challange (with two competing teams) to build a hovercraft, rocket (and land egg without cracking), submarine, boat, car crusher, remote controlled plane and various other items. They have 10 hours to scour junk yard and put together what ever contraption they can and at end of show, the race is on to see whose is best (or even works!).

Enjoy seeing what they come up with, last night Brother in law (to be) came over and had problem with childs wheelchair. Needed some repairs. We got a real laugh that it took us maybe an hour to find parts/fix this wheelchair and these dudes have 10 hours to build a hovercraft!!

Presuming the tractor types folks to be MORE rather than LESS mechanically interested, if you haven't seen it, I'd venture to guess you would enjoy it. It's on TLC.

Platinum Member

Default Re: Junk Yard Wars

I haven't seen it (am channel deprived) but my brother raves about it. This is adding to the pressure for me to get cable / satellite ...

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Richard,
    I've seen some of their shows and think it is a hoot. My wife just rolls her eyes. Oh well, guess I do the same thing when she turns on the soaps.

MarkV

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7500

One of my buddies just raves about this show. Kept telling me about it all the time, and said I would really relate to it. However, since we live in the country, and I'm too cheap to get a satellite dish, we will never have it in out home.

Got a chance to see it at his place a couple of weeks ago. The two teams were to build a brick building wrecking machine. One crew went low-tech and built a swinging ram. The other crew when high-tech and built a hydraulically-powered wrecker. At first it looked like the low-tech would win because the high-tech was so complex. However, when they started, it was obvious the high-tech machine could eat brick circles around the ram. In the end, the low-tech machine won because the high-tech machine (1) broke a weld on the support arm (they fixed it in record time), (2) Blew a hydraulic line (fixed it again in record time), (3)blew all their collant out of the radiator (fixed this too (welded it!) in record time. The whole race was a near dead-heat at the end.

The low-tech team said at the end this was one case where the better team lost.

What a hoot! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

The GlueGuy

Tractor
    Kubota L3650/AC B210

Like GlueGuy and RPM, I am channel deprived. First time I heard of the show I thought it was one of those urban legends, like the junk yard where for $20.00 you get a handfull of tools, a car hood to drag parts out on and 1 hour to get whatever you want and can drag out.

It's supposed to be around here somewhere... excuse me, I've gotta keep looking!

SHF

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L4610HSTC

Ahhhhh, Junk Yard Wars! My wife and I really love it but are temporarily deprived (almost 6 months) as it seems that the satellite dish on our camper can't receive a signal through the solid metal roof of our shop building. Not complaining mind you but we do live in a pickup camper off the truck siting in the floor of our shop building. It has been one thing after another B U T tomorow the plumber somes to connect the septic system and make last plumbing connections.

Maybe we can celebrate by watching J U N K Y A R D W A R S.

I would settle for a rerun of one of our favorites like Catapult launched person carrying glider, or working cannon and target shooting with it.

Patrick

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2710

My wife and I live in a shop building. My satellite dish is just out the back overhead door to the south. Its mounted on a vertical 2 by 4 nailed to a horizontal 2 by 12 with a couple of braces and 2 bags of sackrete to stabilize. Been that way for 7 months and working fine. I did brush against the 2 by 4 with the rotary cutter one day and had to re-adjust it.

Alan L., TX

Tractor
    Kubota B7100HST & Kubota L4610HST w/FEL

Richard
    LOL![img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img] I watch it all the time. Nearly posted here about it.What's better than that is I work in it every day.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]It's even spawned my other handle,"Junk Yard Warrior".Fifteen minutes after some piece of crap machine from auction is dropped of the truck they're sending over an operator and screaming for production.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I've never seen how large the junkyard is on the show overall...I think mine's bigger[img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    regards
    Mutt

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710 GST

Yep! It's one of the reasons I keep the satellite subscription (DUD) alive ... there were 3 seasons in the UK and now one season in the US. Last weekend, they had a new, special 2 hour US vs UK edition .... building the best car masher. The US won with a pretty cool winch operated sledge hammer. The UK went the hydraulic route and it worked well ... except that the hydraulics turned out to be stronger than the support for the cylinders.
    Those of you that are TLC-deprived are missing a real laugh ... and some tips on jury-rigging! (or as the Brits call it ... blodging)

too bad that common sense ain't

Tractor
    Kubota B2400, Bobcat 331 Mini-Excavator

Jeff delPapa has a web site for his team The NERDS, the American team in the English series.

http:// www.the-nerds.org/NERDS/

He describes the process from the point of view of a participant and has links to the other Junkyard Wars web sites.

(Be sure to watch the NERDS audition video.)

Ed

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast