Chickens

/ Chickens #1  

chucko

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx1800
The next door neighbors have girls that at into FFA they have fences most of their yard off. The whole yard is maybe 2.5 acres. Is this little area the now have 3 cows, a donkey
several pigs off and on, a goat and they are talking about a horse. I have no problem with any of this as they all seem very well cared for but they also have chickens that they are allowing no to free range and you know how chickens are they will soon start going all over the place. I have run them out of my yard several times and as my garden is starting to put on fruit I have to wonder what they will do to it.
I hate chickens! But that is beside the point they are now in my yard! Wonder how mad they are going to be when my lab kills one? Don’t get me wrong I could are less what they have in “their yard” but when it starts becoming a problem for me I start to care. Bad thing are they are fairly nice people and we do have to live beside them.
Thanks for allowing me to vent

/ Chickens #2  
Have you let the girls know that your dog likes chicken and unfortunately, there's probably nothing you could do if the chickens are within the dog's territory?

/ Chickens
buddy at work just said "if god gives you a lemon ... make lemonaide"
so I guess it is chicken soup time

/ Chickens #4  
My tennant brought home a rooster one day. I found out about it at 4 am in the morning. I told them that if it woke me up again, I was having chicken for dinner. They got rid of it.

Chicken soup or any other type of meal sounds about right to me. If its on your land, eat it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Chickens #5  
If the chickens do not create too much other grief on your property, then I would welcome them into the garden! Chickens love to eat snails and slugs and will also control other pests like grasshoppers (they really love grasshoppers).

Now it might just be me, but if I have the option of a chicken eating the pests off of my plants or spraying my plants with poison, then I'd take the chicken's non-poisionous pest control every day of the week.

However, if the chickens are causing the dogs to bark and howl, or if they are leaving a mess on my patio, chair, car, or heaven forbid, on one of the tractors, then it might be a good time to make up some chicken and dumplings for dinner.

/ Chickens
"chicken and dumplings " now there is a plan!

/ Chickens #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Chickens love to eat snails and slugs and will also control other pests like grasshoppers (they really love grasshoppers). </font> )</font>

Yes they do but they will make a mess of a vegetable garden and seedlings in a hurry too. I've been toying with the idea of getting a few layers for a while now. The only thing that stops me is that my wife hates chickens but if she gets a few eggs out of the deal she might be a bit more tolerant. Like Eddie, if one wakes me up at 4 o'clock in the morning it's going to meet the breadcrumbs and deep fat fryer in a hurry.

If it were me, I'd warn them that my dog roams my yard and that I won't be held responsible for "damage" to their birds if they come over on to my property. You'd only be telling them this, ofcourse, to prevent any heartbreak to the girls when something bad happens to their birds. Then I'd let the dog loose and have at it. That should be the end of that problem if the cayotes and hawks don't get there first.

/ Chickens #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> If the chickens do not create too much other grief on your property, then I would welcome them into the garden! Chickens love to eat snails and slugs and will also control other pests like grasshoppers (they really love grasshoppers).
</font> )</font>

And they love tomatos amongst other things,a chicken will butcher a garden.....I know from experience. I raise chickens and I had to put a fence up around my garden.

/ Chickens #9  
My wife makes the best chicken and dumplins ever to grace a pot............

Bring it on!