23/32 Does it exist?

/ 23/32 Does it exist? #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I got rearended in my '95 F150 pickup a month or so ago. Having pocketed the insurance check, I purchased an aftermarket rear bumper for $200 and had a ***** of a time getting the old bumper off. There were some nuts that I could not find a socket for. 11/16 was too small and 3/4 was too big. 17mm was too small and 18mm was too big. I looked all over, even at Sears and could not find a 23/32 socket. Is there any such thing? I finally got the bumper off and the new one installed, but it took about 6 hours including the search for the right tool.

Alan L., TX

/ 23/32 Does it exist? #2  
How rusty was it? could it have rusted down to a smaller size?

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

/ 23/32 Does it exist? #4  
Allan,

Some metric sockets come in 1/2 sizes. These usually show up in the cheaper socket sets and usually are limited to 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 mm etc. In other words, the smaller sizes. I've never seen them in the larger sizes, but they may exist. Or, your bumper may require a special "dealer only" tool to remove. 23/32 probably does exist, but it is such an uncommon size, it would be virtually "dealer only". You may have to go to an actual tool store, (specialty store) to find one.

SHF

/ 23/32 Does it exist?
With the help of the Lord and a forked stick I successfully removed the bumper. Oh, and a hack saw too.

Alan L., TX

/ 23/32 Does it exist? #6  
Allan L.

Been there, done that /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. I've also been to the point where I welded a nut over another one so I could get a wrench on it. Angle grinders and Dremel tools with abrasive blades are my best firends. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

SHF

/ 23/32 Does it exist? #7  
I am not sure why the 23/32 was in use, but I have a one that came with a Sears Craftsman socket set that I bought years ago. It came in most larger socket sets. I still have the one I bought when i got some cash for a birthday gift while in highschool. I do remember using it on two diffwerent times, but not for what. But they are out there..

/ 23/32 Does it exist? #8  
right 17 small 18 too big, i found only amazon has cheap 23/32 socket for sale, no ebay, old sets are probably the best and were made with GOD given intelligence, tool companies are now run by yuppies and America is waining, i wish there was a complete 32 set, much less a 64 or 128, that very well could be a 17.5 but they dont even know what your talking bout at CEO level. I also wish all sockets had a hex end as well as drive size, in tight mechanics i could use a reg. wrench to turn socket instead of socket wrench. Also deep sockets should all be deep well, they are cheapening up and only boreing them 1 inch or so down.

Last edited:
   / 23/32 Does it exist? #9  
My Dad had a cure for things like that...an acetylene cutting torch...not very graceful, but effective.