Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2710

Default 23/32 Does it exist?

I got rearended in my '95 F150 pickup a month or so ago. Having pocketed the insurance check, I purchased an aftermarket rear bumper for $200 and had a bitch of a time getting the old bumper off. There were some nuts that I could not find a socket for. 11/16 was too small and 3/4 was too big. 17mm was too small and 18mm was too big. I looked all over, even at Sears and could not find a 23/32 socket. Is there any such thing? I finally got the bumper off and the new one installed, but it took about 6 hours including the search for the right tool.

Alan L., TX

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N

Default Re: 23/32 Does it exist?

How rusty was it? could it have rusted down to a smaller size?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7500

Alan,

A '95 Ford should be pretty much all metric. Is it possible that it's rusted or something?

The GlueGuy

Tractor
    Kubota L3650/AC B210

Allan,

Some metric sockets come in 1/2 sizes. These usually show up in the cheaper socket sets and usually are limited to 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 mm etc. In other words, the smaller sizes. I've never seen them in the larger sizes, but they may exist. Or, your bumper may require a special "dealer only" tool to remove. 23/32 probably does exist, but it is such an uncommon size, it would be virtually "dealer only". You may have to go to an actual tool store, (specialty store) to find one.

SHF

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2710

With the help of the Lord and a forked stick I successfully removed the bumper. Oh, and a hack saw too.

Alan L., TX

Tractor
    Kubota L3650/AC B210

Allan L.

Been there, done that [img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. I've also been to the point where I welded a nut over another one so I could get a wrench on it. Angle grinders and Dremel tools with abrasive blades are my best firends. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

SHF

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota /L2650/ LA450/B4690 -- John Deere 450 Dozer

I am not sure why the 23/32 was in use, but I have a one that came with a Sears Craftsman socket set that I bought years ago. It came in most larger socket sets. I still have the one I bought when i got some cash for a birthday gift while in highschool. I do remember using it on two diffwerent times, but not for what. But they are out there..