New driveway - what material and edging?

/ New driveway - what material and edging? #1  

bczoom

Veteran Member
My building is located about 200' from the road and houses a few spare vehicles and everything else.

Presently, I need to drive through the yard if I want to use one of these vehicles. It's a problem when the ground is very wet as it ruts up the yard so I want to put in a driveway.

So, I want to put in a stone driveway. I'm thinking of using 3/4" crusher run for the top surface. A paved surface may be in the future but due to large trucks coming in, I don't want them to destroy the surface.

This new driveway will be in a location that will receive a lot of perpendicular traffic across it (kids riding ATV's, me mowing...).

Am I using the right material whereby the stone won't be picked up from the lateral traffic and deposited all over the yard?

What kind of edging material should I use to separate the stone from the grass?

Thanks
Brian

/ New driveway - what material and edging? #2  
I have been pondering over a similar situation. My storage building is about 300' from the road. I don't live on my land (yet) so I don't mind driving thru the pasture to it. But I want to put in a drive in the near future. Do you plan on laying the rock directly on the ground? Or are you going to cut down several inches and then fill it with rock so that it is level with ground? That is what I was thinking I would do as I will probably have it asphalted some day and I want it as near ground level as possible.
I noticed someone down the road put in a short drive a couple years ago. He put down some grade of white rock and then covered that with some kind of grey crushed stone that looked like crushed granite (?). Appears to have held up well and looks really nice. I may have to stop by one day and find out just what he used.

/ New driveway - what material and edging? #3  
If you use gravel, crushed stone without fines, or crushed concrete.. expect some migration. You could always use edge boards.. or edge brick, etc.. but then that is gonna bother perpendicular traffic at anything other than 'idle' speed.

Could use crushed stone with fines and then top with reclaimed asphalt millings. it packs down pretty decentyl, and will be a decent base for later work, while still providing good stabilization for the big traffic.

Soundguy

/ New driveway - what material and edging?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do you plan on laying the rock directly on the ground? Or are you going to cut down several inches and then fill it with rock so that it is level with ground?)</font>

Here's my general plan (still need confirmation on top material and info on edging to keep rocks off the grass).

I am going to dig down about 1' or so. There is a spring under where the driveway will go so I will probably put down a sched 40 tile to pick that up. The driveway will fall approx. 20' of elevation from the road to the building. That tile will connect to a french drain down near the building.

In the very bottom, I'm going to put driveway fabric (or whatever you call it). Then the tile and approx. 6" deep of 3" stone. Top 6" will be the crushed stone.

/ New driveway - what material and edging? #5  
I wouldn't edge it with anything. Since the road will be at grade and the rock angular, I don't think it will move much. Nothing will stay perfectly in place where a racetrack crosses it. The grass won't grow in the rock and the edge of the growing grass will act as edging to some extent. The road will appear to be sunk if it is at ground level since the grass length may be 3" or so.

/ New driveway - what material and edging? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have been pondering over a similar situation. My storage building is about 300' from the road. I don't live on my land (yet) so I don't mind driving thru the pasture to it. But I want to put in a drive in the near future. Do you plan on laying the rock directly on the ground? Or are you going to cut down several inches and then fill it with rock so that it is level with ground? That is what I was thinking I would do as I will probably have it asphalted some day and I want it as near ground level as possible.
I noticed someone down the road put in a short drive a couple years ago. He put down some grade of white rock and then covered that with some kind of grey crushed stone that looked like crushed granite (?). Appears to have held up well and looks really nice. I may have to stop by one day and find out just what he used. )</font>******
==========
I don't like the gravel being level with the surrounding ground surface as that allows water into the gravel and do the freeze thaw bit.

If the gravel is below the surrounding ground surface that's even worse.
I wouldn't want a water hole with a gravel filter in it for the base of a drive way or garage floor.