Portable gas generators?

/ Portable gas generators? #1  

fishman

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910; Kubota T1670
Anybody got some advice on good brands of portable gasoline generators? What brand do you consider to be the best and why? What brand is a good value for the money? I am particularly interested in the 3500-5000 watt sizes. Hey, we've already got our nail guns and air compressors picked out, now how about some more toys!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ Portable gas generators? #2  
index_photo.gif

I bought a Generac 5kw portable unit a few years back for about $180. when Builders Square went bankrupt...

Generac was bought out by the engine mfr. B&S. I start it up about twice a year and that's it... have never really used it... but it starts up.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

My choice was based solely on price {steal}...

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

/ Portable gas generators? #3  
I also have a Generac (mines a 12KW (peak) 10KW (continuous)). We got it last year after the Y2K scare went away, and the local Home Depot was trying to unload a boatload of them. We got it for $1500, which is a steal.

We have used it several times, as the power in our area is less reliable, because we are considered "out in the boonies".
It has run fine every time.

That said, any units with a decent B&S or Honda engine should be fine. If you are using it for emergency backup, be sure to get one that has low-oil shut-off. Units that are "brushless" are considered better than "with" brushes.

Also, if you are using it for emergency puposes, consider getting one that runs on LPG or natural gas. You must de-rate the output on LPG 10% from gasoline, and natural gas must be de-rated 20% from gasoline.

The GlueGuy

/ Portable gas generators? #4  
I got a Generac 5KW unit prior to the Y2K turnover. Though I didn't use it then, I have used it since during power outages. It won't carry us through an extended outage, however, since I don't store more than 55 gallons of gasoline on the property at any one time.

I've since realized that a smaller generator capable of squeezing more running time out of each gallon of gas is preferable to a larger unit capable of running more of my house. I want to be able to outlast an extended outage--especially during the cold Vermont winters. A less-thirsty smaller 2KW unit capable of running my heating system, the fridge, and my well pump (not all at once, mind you) would be ideal. Now if I just had the money..

/ Portable gas generators? #5  
Fishman, most of my personal experience with generators has been a couple of Onan (gasoline powered) generators in motor homes and a Kohler (LPG powered) in a 5th wheel travel trailer. All were fine generators, but expensive. Of course, I've also used a little 3kw Genrac that my brother had and a 3kw Coleman that a neighbor has. So long as you get one that has the capacity you need and it's run under load frequently, you'll probably be happy with it. Both my brother, who used to be an RV service tech, and other service people have told me that most problems with generators are a result of lack of use. Manual in my last motorhome said to run it at least once a month (I thought once a week was better) and I'm not sure whether it said 50% or 75% load for an hour if I remember right. One of the neatest of the little generators I've seen used though was a Honda. On most of the little ones I've seen used, you had to set the throttle up to full speed and that's where it stayed until you were through with it. On that little Honda, it idled down (much quieter), but when you turned on a power tool (saws in this case), it automatically revved up. When you turned off the switch on the saw, it idled down again. Much nicer to use.

Bird

/ Portable gas generators? #6  
Bird,

The Generac unit I've got has that feature. Generac calls it "idle control".

BTW - My Generac model is a 10000EXL.

The GlueGuy

/ Portable gas generators? #7  
I'll throw in with Vermonster. I have a 5KW Generac, it's noisy, it sucks up a lot of gas and I could get by with a lot fewer KW's, just enough to bump the freezer and the frig. from time to time.

Al

/ Portable gas generators? #8  
Make up your mind, Portable or 5000watts. Its one or the other. You can get a portable 300watt to 1500watts unit that can be carried in one hand, but at 5kw your talking about a 8-12hp motor, cage to hold it all and a pretty good size genset. Portable in this class is 2 man portable or a heavy unit on wheels.

MY mom named me Gary.

/ Portable gas generators? #9  
When I was shopping a few years back (prior to the Y2K rush), I discovered that one of the main issues to consider is "occasional duty" versus "continuous duty". Some of the other experts on this board will have help define the difference. To me, 3-to-5 hours at a time is occasional use where 10-to-24 hours usage a day is continuous duty; I don't know where you would draw the line between the two.

I bought a 3500 watt "quiet" model from Sears to use with my motorhome and THEN found a good deal on a brand new 4000 Watt Onan generator (purchase price, installation labor [with required modifications to camper generator housing], and tax was less than the suggested retail price). The 3500 watt model has been great but supposedly wont last very long under continuous duty conditions whereas the more expensive Onan is a really good continuous duty model.

Bottom line: The more expensive "continuous-duty" models like Onan are much better; you'll have to decide if your usage can justify the extra $$$-per-watt for the better models.

Kelvin

/ Portable gas generators? #10  
Absotutely. My 10KW Generac tips the scales at 375#. Took 3 1/2 of us to lift it off the truck. Even though it has wheels, and is called "portable", it is a struggle to move it anywhere.

The GlueGuy