First Truck for a Tractorman

/ First Truck for a Tractorman #1  

glennmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota L3430
Maybe I need a truck.

Let's put it this way: I've gotten more and more involved over the past 12 months with tractoring and all its related projects, implements, materials, detritus and trips; and my primary load carrier is the back seat of my Mustang convertible. I've been creative, but it's getting to me.

So, maybe I need a pickup truck. I've had cars, vans, small SUV's--but never had and know nothing about pickup trucks. So I'm looking for suggestions and advice.

I'm going to try to make this simple. Here is what I don't want: the fully-accessorized, super-powered, wet dream "Rolls Royce" of pickup trucks. This will be a second hand vehicle on a tight budget.

Here are the minimum requirements:

1. 4x4
2. Can pull an 18' trailer with 8,000 lbs. of tractor and tractor implements on it.
3. Can be used as a commuter vehicle that will be parked in a parking garage.
4. Won't scare away the wife from driving it.
5. Is reliable, durable and problem free.

Thanks.

/ First Truck for a Tractorman #2  
Glenn,
What's your price range? You are going to need a 3/4 ton at least and from there it's just what you want; Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc. None of them are trouble free and depending on who you talk to it's debatable whether they are durable and reliable. You're not going to touch anything close to your specs. that has less than a hundred thousand miles on it for less than 10k. After 100k it's a crap shoot on any of them.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ First Truck for a Tractorman
Perhaps I should add that the trailering is the least important. Just has to be able to do it occasionally.

/ First Truck for a Tractorman #4  
Cowboydoc probably has already given the best answer.

My own thoughts are that the truck you want ain't been invented yet./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ First Truck for a Tractorman #5  
glennmac,

Now you see - if you hadn't traded in that BX2200 then think of the truck you could have had!! TresCrows, what do you think? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Seriously though - are you sure on the 8000lbs figure? I know a 2910 doesn't weigh that much.

Patrick

/ First Truck for a Tractorman #6  
glennmac,
My input is that the towing requirement is in direct contrast with the fuel economy aspect of the commuter vehicle. The longer the commuting distance, the greater this contrast.

A non-dually 3/4-ton or 1-ton pickup should achieve most of what you are asking. I believe that most "properly equipped" 1/2 ton full-sized trucks are rated to tow over 8,000 lbs and may actually suffice for your occasional towing needs. The popular opinion on this board, however, is to steer toward the 3/4 or 1-ton trucks.

One problem to consider with a 4x4 (1/2, 3/4, or 1-ton) is that a lot of them (especially newer models) have 16" or 17" tires & wheels. Most of these trucks will not fit through a standard 7' high home garage door. I don't know how high the garage is where you are commuting to but you'll need to check it.

Truck Trivia for your shopping: Most of the Chevy, Dodge and Ford truck model numbers use the following naming scheme:

1/2 ton trucks begin with a "1" (15, 150 or 1500)
3/4 ton trucks begin with a "2" (25, 250 or 2500)
1 ton trucks begin with a "3" (35, 350, or 3500)

Additionally, the big 3 usually have at least 3 models that are more heavier duty than the 1/2 ton model. I've seen this in the form of...

(1) a "standard duty" 3/4-ton and a "heavy duty" 3/4-ton with one type of dually 1-ton model, or
(2) one type of 3/4-ton model and single-wheel 1-ton and a heavier duty dually 1-ton model.

Note: There may be an even greater breakdown than this from some of the manufacturers; if so, I'm not familiar with it.

The best recommendation that I can come up with is a 3/4 ton standard cab truck (usually available only in a long bed) or a 3/4-ton extended cab truck with a rear seat (typically available in both long and short beds; go for the short bed to ease the daily commuting hassles). I've seen a lot of the SUV type women driving these trucks without much problem. Other than fuel economy this could be a decent commuting vehicle if it'll fit in the garage that you need it to. As far as reliability, I've heard good and bad things about all three of major US manufacturers. I know very little about the new V8-Toyota Tundra (1/2 ton); it might also be a consideration.

Kelvin

/ First Truck for a Tractorman #7  
Glenn,
I tow my B2710 on a 16ft. trailer behind a Jeep GC with a 6 cyl. in it. So if trailering your tractor is the least of your concerns, you may not need a truck at all. Remember a uitlity trailer can double as a truck for hauling heavy loads.

18-30445-von.gif

/ First Truck for a Tractorman #8  
Glenn,

I usually stay out of these truck discussions, but my vote is for something that says Toyota on it. I'll pretend that your reference to a tight budget is out the window at this point, and you'll need to work with me a little on Item 2 (do you really need to tow that much at one time with your B2910?) The Tacomas are rated to tow 5000 lb, the Tundras 7200 lb. I think Von has mentioned towing his B2710, etc. and trailer occasionally with his wife's Cherokee, and that can't be rated for any more than 5000 lb towing. Maybe if you can make a few compromises the Tacoma is OK, otherwise the Tundra could handle it all.

Items 1, 3, and 4 are no problem, and I believe you would have Item 5 nailed!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Rob

/ First Truck for a Tractorman #9  
Von,

You sneaked that one in on me, and I even mentioned you in my post!

Rob

/ First Truck for a Tractorman
Thanks for the ideas and explanations. You gotta realize your dealing with a real ignoramus here. I don't know what the "tonnage" refers to, although it obviously relates to the size. Dont know what "dual" means.

As to the hypothetical trailer, I'm making believe I own a larger tractor with backhoe that I'm taking to a dealer or to help someone with my rig. More realistically, I probably wouldnt have more than 5000 lbs. Never having trailored anything large, I dont know what rated to tow X thousand pounds means. Pounds of what? The weight of the trailer and its cargo? The weight pushing down on the hitch?

Long/short bed sounds obvious. Short sounds better. Dont want one of those rear seats.

Aren't Fords the best of the domestic bunch. I was hoping there was a Japanese offering. I know I could research this in other ways, but I would turn it into my typical obsessive perfectionist crusade searching for the ideal vehicle. So, I'll accept direction: a Toyota Tacoma it is, until proved otherwise.

I also like Von's idea of using the trailer itself as the beast of burden. If I understood trailer weighting, maybe my Mustang could pull it.