diesel pickups

/ diesel pickups #1  

TimberXX

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 770 Italian 2 Wheel Tractor, Grillo 107d, BCS 853, Deere x350, Deere x730
of course i just started my job and my car died. i need a new (to me) truck. I would like a diesel. My mother had a 1977 mercedes diesel and put 436,000 miles on it. Any comments on the engines, is it worth the extra cost. They are hard to find used in extended cab models. any websites would be great. I heard that 18 to 20 mpg is the norm.. is this true? they dont get crashed tested by the federal gov't... so how do they do? of course i dont wanna start any chevy vs ford vs dodge debate! hahaha thanks guys

/ diesel pickups #2  
The last tank of fuel thru my '04 Dodge quad cab 3500 4X4 (auto, 3.73 ratio) cummins was 17.22 mpg combined city/ rural (2 lane) hiway ...............not bad for a truck that heavy........I've heard of 2500 series 2wd regular cabs getting around 25 or so.......My truck has several enhancement add-ons that make it hard to drive it without enjoying the power or I'm sure I could see about 19-20.......I know I used to !!!

/ diesel pickups #3  
I have a 2003 F-250, CC, 4X4, 6.0 diesel w/the 5 sp auto trans. Prior to that, I had the same thing in an 02 and a 2000 truck, except that they had the 7.3 liter diesel and 4 sp auto in them. All had the towing pkg on them too. I average 15.5 mpg in the city and 17.5 on the highway empty. It doesn't change much until I add a stock trailer and start hauling calves or something else. Mpgs go down then.

If I were you and I didn't need the power for hauling something, I'd really have to think twice about diesel. They do not get better fuel mileage than gas!! They are more expensive to buy initially and to operate generally. Oil chgs are 30.00 more, at least, and initial cost is $5000.00 more when new.

Diesel used to be 20 cents a gallon cheaper to buy, but now, it's more expensive than gasoline, which is pathetic because it's cheaper to make.

Just some thoughts for you.

/ diesel pickups #4  
I love my 97 Dodge, hated the 5 speed after losing 5th 4 times, so I put in a 6 speed. I'll always go diesel, especially good for towing.

/ diesel pickups #5  
I think anyone who's contemplating a diesel pickup who doesn't absolutely need the towing /weight carrying ability should have to follow right behind one and smell it for about 300 miles, that should cure you. I'm not anti diesel in general, (after all, my tractor is diesel) but these things really stink on the road. If you ever get stuck behind one in heavy traffic it can be brutal. If you don't absolutely NEED it, buy gas...............

/ diesel pickups #6  
I only get about 13 highway and 10 in town with my Dodge diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Oh well, it isn't exactly stock though. I have no problem out running the 6.0 liter 2wd Chevy pickups or the 5.0 liter Mustangs. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That's not bad for 4X4 dually diesel pickup that weighs nearly 8000 pounds. Oh yeah, it's sort of different to leave 4 deep dark black marks for a hundred yards or so from a stop light. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif As far as towing, I've towed 15k over 100 mph without any problem. I'm not really sure that is legal, but it sure surprised the BMW 7 series that I ran down on the interstate. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ diesel pickups #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think anyone who's contemplating a diesel pickup who doesn't absolutely need the towing /weight carrying ability should have to follow right behind one and smell it for about 300 miles, that should cure you. I'm not anti diesel in general, (after all, my tractor is diesel) but these things really stink on the road. If you ever get stuck behind one in heavy traffic it can be brutal. If you don't absolutely NEED it, buy gas............... )</font>

Mine doesn't stink unless I'm getting down on it. Then, in your gas pickup you won't keep up to smell it anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I doubt I'll ever buy a gas pickup again unless I'm sure I'll never need to haul a load or pull a trailer.

/ diesel pickups #8  
I agree. I love riding my bike behind one. It lasts for about 10 seconds until I pass the slow smelly thing! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ diesel pickups #9  
I must agree 100%. I sold my F350 powerstroke back in 2002. Never looked back. I did not NEED a truck, let alone diesel. Now with diesel being over $0.50 MORE per gallon them my 87, more initially cost, more maintance etc. I will take my gas car over that or my bike.

/ diesel pickups #10  
Well, Dargo, unless you're running along behind it, how would you know? Just because it's not spewing black smoke doesn't mean it's not stinking. I actually don't blame the diesel process, it's probably the high sulur fuel we use in this country. I can tell when I'm behind a diesel pickup well before I can pick it out of the crowd, even on a busy hiway. It's probably just me, I probably have an overheightened response to the fumes.