Moving a 3000+ lbs. safe?

/ Moving a 3000+ lbs. safe? #1  

Birdhunter1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
It looks like these folks are having a problem. I'm sure with all the vast knowledge of semi-useless data we all have we could get it done.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Dead Man's Family Stuck With Locked Safes

LAWTON, Okla. (AP) — Steve Lee loved the thrill of cracking open a safe after he figured out the combination.

Now, family members are trying to figure out how to move the giant fixtures from the spot they've occupied for years outside his former business.

Lee kept a half-dozen safes outside his corner store, but after his death in 2000, no one has the combinations — or the means to move them.

An attempt to move one of the cannonball safes caused a hoist truck to teeter, meaning it weighs at least the truck's 3,000-pound lift capacity.

Glennis Lee said her husband occasionally would bring the massive safes home with the help of a wrecker or other equipment. Each came with a story, whether it contained guarded valuables for an individual or cash for a bank. And many came with a mystery.

Lee said her husband imagined he'd run across a lost treasure someday.

"That was always Steve's big dream," his widow said. "I'm sure that would be every locksmith's dream."

As far as his family knows, the closest Lee came was a roll of quarters.

However, he hid his own treasure, a coin collection worth $4,500, inside one of the safes out on the sidewalk. When he died, the new shop owner, Clarence Weber, cracked open the safe for the family.

Family members doubt the other locked safes that remain hold any valuables.

"Nobody's going to traipse off in the middle of the night with them," Glennis Lee said. "It's kind of like moving a house."

)</font>

/ Moving a 3000+ lbs. safe? #2  
Those cannonball safes are nice.

My fatherinlaw died in 2000.. he lived a few cities over, and me and the wife had to go clean his house and remove belongings so the estates lawyer could sell the house. The very last thing was a cannon ball safe that we were going to leave.. but the intended owner didn't want it.

I called a safe company.. they came out with a dolly on the back of the truck.. kida like a round hay bale dolly ( doodlebug).. anyway.. we had to lay down aluminum sheeting in a path from the safe to the sidewalk. Use a few prybars to get it moving ( has big OLD casters )... once we got it rolling it wasn't bad.. rolled it onto the doodle bug and it had a hyd tilt.. tilted it just enough to get weight over the trailers axle. We then use a couple 2" nylon straps and a safety chain to tie it down. Metal latches kept the hyds in place.

It would have cost me a couple bucks per mile to move it.. so i sold it to the guy on the spot for 75$ cash. I probably could have got more.. but had no time.. and I was taking a half day of work just to get that last detail worked out so the lawyer could get the house closed.. ( this was in another city than I lived in. )

Just me and another guy moved it.. both of us were 5'6" and about 160#.. so it's not too big a deal.

Soundguy

/ Moving a 3000+ lbs. safe? #3  
For those of you like myself that may not be familiar with cannonball safes I found the following. Cannonball Safes, so called because of the shape of the security compartment mounted on the base, were in general use in financial institutions from 1890 to 1920. The safe on display was built by the Mosler Safe Company in 1890.

Attachments

• 674591-safe.jpg
    674591-safe.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 480
   / Moving a 3000+ lbs. safe? #5  
I've never seen those "cannonball" safes before. They are cool. I have two large safes; one in my office and one in my house. This is in addition to a "small" additional document safe in my office. They are always fun to move. All my friends and employees disappear when it's time to move one. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I got so fed up with everyone whimpering and whining about getting my "small" office document safe upstairs to my office (weighs 280 pounds), who is going to be on what side and how will everyone fit in the stairwell, that I just bear hugged the thing and ran up both flights of stairs with it by myself! Rather than gloating, I spent the next two days realizing that I should work out a wee bit harder if I'm going to make a habit out of doing that! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Moving a 3000+ lbs. safe? #6  
Here are two links for cannonball safes: