Ridgid Power Tools Lifetime Service Warranty?

/ Ridgid Power Tools Lifetime Service Warranty? #1  

stevenf

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M9000
We are in the process of building our house and I'm wondering if anyone has a lot or any experience good or bad with Ridgid Power Tools. They are sold at Home Depot and recently began offering a Lifetime Service Warranty that covers everything that wears out except blades and sand paper it does include batteries on rechargeables. I realize that there are better made tools like for instance Dewalt but Rigid with their lifetime guarantee is hard to beat. What does everyone think should I be buying better tools (major stuff like table saw, compressor and such) from Home Depot made by Ridgid or are they so cheaply made that they will be in the shop being repaired for a lifetime instead of being useful or with a lifetime service warranty do ya'll agree What A Deal!
Steve

/ Ridgid Power Tools Lifetime Service Warranty? #2  
Rigid is now owned by Home Depot, so as long as they don't go out of business, you are "in good hands". I have heard it said that the reason for the lifetime warranty is that the tools are not that robust. I don't believe this to be the case, because repairs cost them money. I see this as a marketing gimmick to get the brand a foot up on the competition of the name brands. I don't care for the "feel" of some of the tools, so I continue to buy those tools that feel comfortable in my hands, rather than those with the longest warranty. I figure if they last for my lifetime, then someone else can worry about longevity if they buy them at my estate sale.

/ Ridgid Power Tools Lifetime Service Warranty? #3  
I purchased the Rigid 12" slide compound miter saw w/ laser about 2 years ago. I love it! I've used the heck out of it already. Seems very stout and I have had zero problems with it. After setting up the saw initially, it has remained very accurate. (even after hauling it all over the place in the back of my truck.)

I recently read a review of table saw's in the current issue of "Wood" magazine. They compared Dewalt, Delta, Grizzly, Jet, Rigid, Craftsman and I think one called General...... Rigid came out on top as an overall performer. Wood's only gripe against the Rigid was the number of turns of the handwheel to raise the blade: 32 turns.

For what it's worth................

Regards,
Duber

/ Ridgid Power Tools Lifetime Service Warranty? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Wood's only gripe against the Rigid was the number of turns of the handwheel to raise the blade: 32 turns. )</font>

I don't know a whole bunch about that stuff, but to a layman (me) I'd think that would mean you could get a much more accurate measurement than if the whole thing took 2 turns to do the same job??

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

(at least, that's how I'd market it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

/ Ridgid Power Tools Lifetime Service Warranty? #5  
My only Rigid tool is my planer. I chose it for that very reason, the lifetime warantee.

I have a few complaints with it, but overall, it works fine. When I compaired it to the other brands and read the reviews, it seemed the Rigid brand was at the upper end with the most reasonable price.

Fine Homebuilding magazine does tool reviews every now and then. Rigid is always there best buy tool. They rate if very highly.

As for Dewalt, I've had good luck with my drill and 7 1/4 inch saw. I had very bad results with my 4 1/2 inch grinder. Not sure if I'll buy Dewalt again because of the grinder issues.

Porter Cable, Delta, Bosch and Milwakee are brands I like.

/ Ridgid Power Tools Lifetime Service Warranty? #6  
I have a Porter Cable cordless drill, probably 7-8 years old. Best drill I have ever had but the batteries are about gone now and I can't find....even through PC replacements. Decided to get new and thought breifly of Rigid but really couldn't find anything about them in comparison to other brands so didn't. Went with Milwalkee. Got the 18V lock-tor combo (1/2, drill/driver/hammer, sawzall, 6 1/4 circular, flash light and tool bag) Chose this one because of the name, quality and they are running a promotion right now...send away and get another tool ($200 value) free. Getting the 18V 1/2 impact.

Hope it holds it holds up as well as the PC did.

I did look at Rigid in the store. Their product does look like it is built well.

Regards,
Kevin

/ Ridgid Power Tools Lifetime Service Warranty? #7  
I worked for HD till early 2004 and when they transitioned into purchase of Ridgid. We often judged top of the line tools by the returns.

We identified that Ryobi was the best seller by volume, and also the highest in returns - so that equaled out and it was the lowest price cord and cordless tool available.

The next highest return rate (and third slowest mover) was Milwaukee cordless due to high battery failure rate. A $80 dollar battery (18V) contractor grade averaged 5 months.

DeWalt cordless contractor grade tools were (are?) the best high end money maker with the lowest return rate. Especially the 18V 1/2" Steel chuck cordless drill-hammer drill. The worst designed DeWalt tool (EddieWalker hit it right on the head) is their 4 1/2" corded angle grinder. I have one, and I am in complete agreement with Eddie.

Ridgid was #2 in all categories except returns.....#5. Ridgid will be around for long haul.

And finally the most surprising / disapointing tool for 2003 & '04 from a contractor customer survey pole with all tools sold by the HD.........Makita. With exception to their sliding compound miter saw, they have not updated nor improved their power / cordless tools in the last 8 years.

Mark

/ Ridgid Power Tools Lifetime Service Warranty? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Rigid is now owned by Home Depot...)</font>

Junkman,
I looked all over the place the see a press release etc. and couldn't find anything. Where'd you hear it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'd love to read about it.
Thanks
Phil

/ Ridgid Power Tools Lifetime Service Warranty? #9  
i am trying to sell my craftsman radial arm saw for $150: so i can get a compound sliding miter saw: i am looking at the hitachi: but haven't seen the ridgid: the hitachi is $500; how does that compare to the ridgid price??
heehaw

/ Ridgid Power Tools Lifetime Service Warranty? #10  
Ridgid is not owned by Home Depot. The brand is owned by Emerson (formerly Emerson Electric), my employer in St. Louis. Emerson used to make the Craftsman power tools up till a few years ago. Craftsman tools are now made by Ryobi. Emerson no longer manufacturers the tools, they license that to some huge tool OEM conglomerate, I cant remember the name. Emerson also has (or perhaps had) a parterner ship with Bosch.
I know there can be HUGE arguements over power tools, but with so many of the tool companies being assimilated by other companies (ie. Black & Decker's recent purchase of Porter Cable), I'm not really sure how much difference there really is on some of these tools.

-dave