TSC Store Coming to Town, NOW WHAT??

/ TSC Store Coming to Town, NOW WHAT?? #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
Tractor Supply Store is coming to my town, first location in New Jersey I think. They are taking over a 53,000 sq. ft. old Ames Store that has been vacant for the last few years. I have never been in a TSC store BUT I see a lot of people posting about it. So what kind of store is it? How often do you go? what do you buy? do they have good buys/sales? On a local level what type of store will this new large chain store now provide competition to? Do the locals have to worry, what effect did this store have when it came to your area?

/ TSC Store Coming to Town, NOW WHAT?? #2  
I have 4 or 5 TSC stores withing an hour drive.

Here's what they sell.

Oils, fram filters, hand tools and some air/electric/gas tools.. lawnmowers.. pushl to ZTR, board, wire and chain link fencing.. animal cages.. trailer repair parts ( axles, hubs, wireing ). Automotive and tractor lamps.. a decent spread of TISCO tractor supplies.. like points, and small parts.. starters.. etc.. mostly ford stuff.

water pumps and tanks.. stock tanks.. grass seeds.. lawn and garden.. herbacides and pestacides. feed and livestock care..meds to harness and tack.

Welding/cutting/brazing equipment and supplies.. clothing.. mostly cowboy-ish stuff. some books and magazines.. farrier supplies... some kids farm related toysa.. perhaps a 4-wheeler or go-kart or two.

Tires tubes and rims for many atv/tractor/trailer applications.

Hardware and fasteners.. metal stock.. etc.. tubing, chains and rope in bulk,.

That's about all I can think of of fthe top of my head.. I'm sure stock varies by region.. and I'm sure I missed alot of stuff.

Probably small hardware stores and farm stores will be their direct competition.

/ TSC Store Coming to Town, NOW WHAT?? #3  
As Soundguy said, they have a little of everything, so we'd never be able to list it all; quite a number of tools, air-compressors, etc. I've bought a box blade, a middle buster, rabbit cages, rubber boots, drill press, rubber mats, rabbit raising books, watering bottles, feeders, chain, plumbing supplies, etc. I especially like their system of selling nuts and bolts simply by weight.

/ TSC Store Coming to Town, NOW WHAT?? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How often do you go? what do you buy? do they have good buys/sales? )</font>

1. Too often. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Generally stuff that isn't eaily available elsewhere close. For instance spray tips for our 25 gallon sprayer ..... Lowes and Home Depot don't carry them. (Actually I bought the sprayer there too.)

3. Some of their pricing is decent - I picked up a pair of 130' garden hoses for $29.99 each .... lifetime warranty ...... the premium 100' hose at Sears is $45. They currently have a 6 months no payment, no interest going on purchases of $300 or more when you use your TSC credit card.

/ TSC Store Coming to Town, NOW WHAT?? #5  
This is probably the easiest way to see alot of the stuff they have: TSC

/ TSC Store Coming to Town, NOW WHAT?? #6  
Start putting in your Father's Day,Birthday, and Holiday hints in. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif One of my favorite stores. I go more often than I should but what the hay!? They are like the Ace/True Value Store for Ranchers and Farmers. My kids love the store too. My two year old son likes the tools and tractor stuff and my three year old Daughter likes the Schneider animal toys. (He said with a tear in his eyes.) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Prices are average. Win some, lose some, But for the exceptionally rare they can't be beat.

/ TSC Store Coming to Town, NOW WHAT?? #7  
My guess is "if you like it here, you will like it there" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ TSC Store Coming to Town, NOW WHAT??
WOW looks like a place to go to have some fun shopping, shopping and fun in the same sentence?? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for the info.

/ TSC Store Coming to Town, NOW WHAT?? #9  
I personally don't have much use for the feed bins, corral fencing, horse liniment, etc., but I just bought my 16' tube-and-mesh pasture gate from them, along with a GTO opener and a couple of keypads. The pricing on them was better than anywhere else I could find. On the other hand, I bought my 15 gallon sprayer from Harbor Freight because it used the same tank and pump, and was about 1/3 less money. I have bought some inexpensive tools on sale at TSC and had great luck, and bought a couple of furniture dollies on sale that fell apart the first time I used them (special purchase; their normal dollies are OK).

I get all my 3 point-hitch pins and gadgets there but would buy a compressor from Sam's Club first. In other words, it depends to a certain extent what you need, and like everything else, it pays to shop around. I have learned (from experience) to never buy on impulse, anywhere.

Before I had rural property and a tractor, the only thing I bought at TSC was a landscape pull-behind wagon and bird feeder supplies.

/ TSC Store Coming to Town, NOW WHAT?? #10  
I have several TSC stores with 25 or so miles of me. Its a hardware stores, feed store and implement store all rolled into one. All the stores me are different based on the market. One is big in horse supplies, another is big in 4h/hobby farms, another one is a glorified home and garden center.

The quality of the help they hire will make or break the store. They need people who know how to talk the lingo, know the area and are willing to help customers.