New Dodge Diesel Truck - Auto or 6 speed?

/ New Dodge Diesel Truck - Auto or 6 speed? #1  

Kelvin

Platinum Member
Tractor
B2910 & BX23 (previously B2150 & B7100D)
Short Version of the Post: Are there any reasons to avoid either the automatic or the "new" 6-speed in the new Dodge 2500 and 3500 trucks?

Details...
It appears that new Dodge diesel truck prices are the best that they've been in a while. These prices (33K-34K for a nicely equipped quad cab 4x4) are tempting me to purchase one when I don't actually NEED one. I've even noticed that the "new" asking prices are lower than most 2004 and 2005 "used" asking prices.

The majority of the 2005 trucks on the lots have the new 6-speed transmission while at least one has the old 6-speed transmission (on the old 6-speed transmission reverse is to the far right and up; the new 6-speed transmission has reverse to the far left and down). I'd guess that about 20% of them have automatic transmissions.

Usage:
(1) Haul my Kubota & implements around (around 5000 lbs). I currently do this with my much smaller Dakota, which is still running fine as it approaches 160k miles...
(2) Use to tow rental equipment 1-3 times a year. Examples: Excavator [8000 lbs], Man-lift [6000 lbs?])
(3) If I buy this truck I'd probably sell my older motor home and buy a pull camper to go behind the Dodge. Size of trailer would be determined later. This would be the only long-haul towing situation that I anticipate.

Besides reliability issues, are there other concerns that should be considered when looking at the two different transmissions? Any significant issues with fuel economy?

Thanks for any comments,
Kelvin

/ New Dodge Diesel Truck - Auto or 6 speed? #2  
May I presume to reply as if you were a close friend or family member? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Why are you looking at making such a significant purchase if you don't need a new truck? If you take out a loan, isn't there something else you can do every month with the $500-$600 for the new truck? If you have enough cash, why not take the family on a nice vacation, and still have a bunch left to make home improvements, or purchase a new tool or implement you can use on your property.

To me this seems like you are just making an impulse purchase...just like the auto makers want more of us to do.

Again, I hope I haven't presumed too much in offering my opinion.

Dave

/ New Dodge Diesel Truck - Auto or 6 speed? #3  
Kelvin,
Does that pricing go away on August 1st ? I think that is the end of the employee sale price program ? Do you know about the new Dodge Mega Cab that is coming out in a few months ? Even the rear seats recline ! It is suppose to be 12" longer in the Cab than the new Crewcab Fords !
As far as Transmissions, I would think the manual would do better on Mileage . My next door nieghbor just bought a new Dodge crewcab with automatic transmission and loves it .
I liked the new Dodge ,but with a Back/neck injury it is difficult for me to get into .That was a major reason I went with Ford .I wish Dodge would also put a little more padding on their rear seats . Heck of a truck though with that Cummins .
allen

/ New Dodge Diesel Truck - Auto or 6 speed?
Dave,
I can see where some folks may be offended by your comments, but I understand where you are coming from and am not bothered at all. The attitude from whence you speak is really why I haven't purchased one of these yet, even though I have been tempted to get a heavy-duty truck since the late 1980s. Thus, the one area where you may be wrong is the "impulse buy" notion, as I have been shopping many years, looking for that elusive "really good deal" on a heavy duty truck. I have mostly been looking at used trucks as I can't stand the idea of putting $34K into anything that is a guarenteed negative investment.

When I bought my land out in the county in the mid-1990s my '92 V-8 Dakota was all the "heavy-duty" that I needed. Since then the Kubota tractors came along and I have always told myself that if (when...) my Dakota needs replacing I'd replace it with a 3/4 ton or 1-ton pickup just due to the tasks I find myself wanting and needing to do. I plan to keep the Dakota regardless.

Regarding the family & family expenditures, my youngest child has about two years left in college (I hope) and my wife is a bigger tight-wad than I am, and they are ALL pushing me hard to buy this new truck because I "work real hard and always drive old vehicles". I had pretty much talked myself out of this purchase until they started applying pressure. I will still drag my feet for a few days; if they're all gone by the end of July then my decision will have been made for me!

Let me point out that I already have an old 1974 Ford dually flatbed that I thought would quench my desire for a heavy-duty truck when I purchased it a few years ago. It is a great truck, but flatbed trucks cannot be insured on my normal automotive insurance policy, thus I had to take out a farm truck policy, which is really cheap but very restrictive on how I can use the truck (like the truck should not normally leave the county). Most of what I want to do (like tow rental equipment for personal, non-farm usage) is beyond the scope of the insurance policy.

Keep the advice coming!
Kelvin

/ New Dodge Diesel Truck - Auto or 6 speed?
Allen,
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do you know about the new Dodge Mega Cab that is coming out in a few months )</font>

Yes, I've seen some of the reviews on the Mega-Cab. It sounds like a really great truck but it'll be a LOT more expensive than what is available right now, and the current "good-deal" price is already more than I want to spend.

Going back in time a little, I used to think that I'd be happy with the extended cab Dodge truck, but when I test-drove a used one this past week I noticed that clearing for traffic through the windows in the suicide-doors are much more difficult that clearing through the windows in the club-cab rear doors, particularly on the driver's side.

(I was hoping that the used truck prices would be driven down somewhat by the lower new truck prices, but that apparently has not happened)

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As far as Transmissions, I would think the manual would do better on Mileage )</font>

I would think so as well, but I wonder if this can be quantified by someone. I wouldn't worry about 1 mpg, but 3 or 4 mpg is another story.

Kelvin

/ New Dodge Diesel Truck - Auto or 6 speed? #6  
<font color="blue"> ....are there other concerns that should be considered when looking at the two different transmissions? </font>

To me, this is strictly a personal preference. Kinda like, " Manual, Shuttle or HST" for a tractor purchase.

<font color="blue"> Any significant issues with fuel economy? </font>

I'd only consider this if you plan on long-haul towing situations frequently.

/ New Dodge Diesel Truck - Auto or 6 speed? #7  
Gosh; I wished I was facing your dilema! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Finances dictate my 96 Dodge diesel will have to go many more miles before its even considerd for replacement.

For heavy towing the manual may be better ??? Milage will most likely depend on rear axle ratios. It will most likely do much better than the motorhome.

Have fun shopping.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New Dodge Diesel Truck - Auto or 6 speed? #8  
Kelvin, I have 2 Dodge Diesels setting in the drive way.

My truck is a 03 3500 4x4 Quad cab drw with a 6 speed, and the wifes truck a 04.5 2500 4x4 Quad cab short bed with a auto. Both have 373 gears.

The 3500 was getting 17 mpg before the modifications and the 2500 gets 19 mpg. The 3500 has 235 tires and the 2500 had 275 tires. I noticed that the 2500 runs about 100 to 150 less RPM at the same 70 mph. Now I don't know if thats all due to the tire hight or if the transmission is geared slightly different in high gear, but thats the results we are getting.

/ New Dodge Diesel Truck - Auto or 6 speed? #9  
I've probably researched and tried out too many diesel pickups in the last year. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Besides the money issue, for me it's a power issue. I have a '96 Dodge with a rather pumped up 12 valve Cummins. I've gotten used to a truck that weighs over 8000 pounds with me and a passenger in it being able to outrun a 5.0 liter Mustang. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That's not only from the stop lights, but also on the highway. I'm not picking on a 5.0 liter Mustang, but I use it as a point of reference for acceleration.

After driving my old '96 for years, I get in the new trucks (all brands) and they feel sluggish. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm not a real diesel master tech, but it seems easier to get big time power out of the older 12 valve engines than the new 24 valve. Everyone and their brother talks about putting a "chip" in their new diesel pickup. Granted, I spent more (but not a huge amount more) than what a chip costs, but it's a joke to expect the same boost in performance just by adding a chip. I don't browse the 24 valve side of the diesel sites, but I'm sure that for enough money you can get one to run just as strong; it just costs more.

Now, I'm way off topic because you never mentioned power. I believe the Cummins now has the most torque of any stock pickups available. The reason I wondered off topic was because of the transmission question. As you may have guessed, with the performance modifications, I absolutely killed my stock transmission. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif So, transmissions I do know. I went through 3 before spending the money for one that would hold all the power I have, and then some.

The service manager for the 4th largest Dodge dealership in the country lives just a few houses down from me, and we are good friends. The new automatic transmissions are very well built and stronger than the ones that came out in my old '96. Heck, the '96 transmission is nothing more than the Chrysler TorqueFlight 3 speed transmission with an overdrive tailshaft added. The transmission in the new trucks are not after thought transmissions. As long as you don't make big mods (read, more than adding a chip), you should be fine for a long, long time. If you plan to "bomb" the truck and make a screamer out of it, I'd advise the manual.

As far as fuel economy, you should get better economy in town with the standard shift. On the highway, it won't matter because the automatic transmission will have the torque converter locked and it will be in overdrive. There is no slip to the transmission at lockup on the highway. It will be the same as a standard transmission. Since I sometimes pull extreme loads, I have a command module where I can lock my torque converter in first gear shortly after I get the load rolling. That gives me the equivalent of pulling in 1st gear with a standard transmission.

So, it's obviously up to you. You will get slightly better economy in town with the standard, it will hold up slightly better if you "bomb" your truck, but you do have to always have to shift gears. If you are not going to make heavy modifications to your engine soon, and you don't want to always have to shift gears, get the automatic. Either transmission can be made to hold well over 1000 ft lbs. of torque. It only takes money. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good luck!

/ New Dodge Diesel Truck - Auto or 6 speed? #10  
What ever you do DON'T get a five speed!!! I've got a 97 that's BOMBed, I lost 5th gear 4 times, most before the bombing. I finaly did the 6 speed swap, great tranny for towing, but if most of your driving is around town I'd sure consider an auto. I'm in the same boat as Egon, but if I ever get a new one I most likely will go auto.