All around shotgun

/ All around shotgun #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
Okay, this is a tough question to answer because there really is no way to objectively answer it, but here's my choice. We have two rifles: a Ruger 10/22 squirrel gun and a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem for deer, coyotes, etc. The problem is I'm away from the property a bit, and (1) the wife can't hit the broad side of the barn with the .22, and (2) she can't shoulder the .35, and (3) the one time she managed to fire the .35 it knocked her right off the porch into the snow. Got my rifle all wet! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

She can, however, handle a shotgun. In fact, after half an hour of working on her stance she turned out to be a pretty darned good shot with a 12 ga pump. So we've been shopping around for a nice 12 ga pump with synthetic stock and a bbl in the range of 24-26". We like the Remington 870 and there seem to be a lot of them out there. We also like the Winchester 1300. There are others, but those two feel comfortable to her, and since I'm getting this primarily for her to use in defending her flock of chickens, that carries a lot of weight. It will most likely replace the .22 as my first choice for squirrelling, but that's secondary.

Any comments on the reliability and ease of maintenance on these two shotguns?

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ All around shotgun #2  
Pete, if you like the Remington 870, I'd say that's the way to go. It would be my first choice; one reason being that a lot of police departments use them because of their reliability. I'm certainly no gunsmith, but I understand that some really expensive guns have such close tolerances that everything must be perfect for them to work; i.e., clean, properly lubricated, etc. The 870 seems to work well even under adverse conditions.

Bird

/ All around shotgun #3  
Pete,
If the kick does not bother your wife than go with the 870. But if you want just a gun just as reliable as the 870, step up to the 11-87 by Remington. It has a lot less kick as it uses the gas from the fired shot to cycle the next shell in. This action takes away alot of the kick and makes for a smooth shooting gun. And it is very light and will shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells, so you can have some light loads for squirrel and heavy stuff for varmits. Cost is alittle more, but its well worth it.

18-30445-von.gif

/ All around shotgun #4  
Pete,
I agree with Von. The 870 is very reliable and an excellent gun but will bruise your wife's shoulder if she shoots it much. I have an older 1187 that I hunt with and it's reliable when kept clean and easy to work on plus very little recoil.
18-64320-TractorsigK.JPG

/ All around shotgun #5  
BD, it is hard to find a better gun than the Remingtons. I shot competatively as a sponsored shooter by a gunsmith down in Houston. For shotguns the 1100's were all we used. They are easy shooting, a very all round gun, and one of the most reliable. One of the best things is the very large aftermart parts for them.. Special stocks, sights anything you might want to modify. I have several as loners for when friends come by, but my number one gun is one I found in a pawn shop for $125. It was refinished and built to fit me and setup to my liking, and was still under $275. You might want to look into a 20ga. I know that it does not sound very manly to some, but some of the best shooters and hunters I have ever seen shoot only the 20. There are thousands used every day for dove hunting in south Texas. To reduce the recoil as much as possible you can get the barrels ported, and the forceing cone back bored. Chock tubes are nice and can extend the shotguns uses.

/ All around shotgun #6  
The Ithica 20 gauge featherlight would make a nice scatter gun for the wife.

6-27459-jimsford.gif
jim

/ All around shotgun #7  
pete: when i was looking for a gun for my son(a few years ago) i looked at the newer 870, with syntheitic stock, ended up buying a used 870 with wood stock, just seemed like a better shotgun.but being an old guy /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif i am partial to wood. i do beleive the new 870 is fine. not too familar with the 1300 . don't keep up on the new ones anymore. but my 1200 is one sweet gun.

/ All around shotgun #8  
Just a thought.Look into a youth model .A little smaller and easyer ta handle .Kinda like a camp gun.

/ All around shotgun #9  
The Remington 870 is a great shotgun. This thread brings back sad memories, as mine was stolen by a nephew who borrowed it for dove hunting and then pawned it to support his alchohol habit.

Alan L., TX

/ All around shotgun #10  
kerr, those are pretty nice little guns all right. I still have my H&R Topper with 20 gauge and 30-30 barrels.

Bird