New "Daylight Savings Time"

/ New "Daylight Savings Time" #1  

bczoom

Veteran Member
New \"Daylight Savings Time\"

With the new energy bill, it looks like we're going to get an extra 6 weeks of daylight savings time starting in '07.

For our neighbors to the north (Canada), has there been any talk of doing the same or are we going to be on different time zones with you during that period?

Well, unless I replace all my VCR's and stuff, it looks like I'll be changing the clocks manually (since they don't know about it)... Or do I just let them blink 12:00 as they do now? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ New "Daylight Savings Time" #2  
Re: New \"Daylight Savings Time\"

Black electrical tape covers up that darn flashing 12:00 nicely. I wonder why they all want to keep telling me 12:00? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Must be some sort of code...

/ New "Daylight Savings Time" #3  

The better get the middle of the country on board, because in some areas, they never change to daylight savings time, when other do. Unless it is a Federal Mandate, it isn't going to happen. I remember a post here last year where it was disgusted quite a bit.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New "Daylight Savings Time" #4  

even those blinking are correct 2 times in 24 hours, leave them alone......or have your kids set them!

/ New "Daylight Savings Time" #5  

they should change it and leave it the same all the time...

/ New "Daylight Savings Time" #6  

I've always thought that Daylight Savings was backwards. In the Summer, when the days are loner naturally, and we already have a couple of extra hours of daylight, they adjust the clocks to give us yet another hour. In the Winter, when the days are short and we really need the extra hour in the evening, they take it away from us. Doesn't make sense.

/ New "Daylight Savings Time" #7  

I'm with you, Don. They say it's so the school kids can go to school with more light in the early morning, but I say, let the kids sleep in another hour.

Cliff

/ New "Daylight Savings Time" #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( they should change it and leave it the same all the time... )</font>

I wouldn't mind that at all. This changing back and forth gets old. I don't remember doing this growing up in the 50s and 60s.

This is addressed to no one in particular. I fully admit it is a picky little point and it's offered just as an FYI. Just as we would say that injectors are a fuel saving invention, this clock changing is supposedly a daylight saving invention. There is no "s" on the end of saving. Some would argue that nothing is really "saved". I've heard some call it sleep wasting time.

For those of you old enough to remember WW II, I have a couple of questions. I have heard it said that during the war they had double daylight saving time. Many people not in the military took jobs in munitions factories, yet still lived on family farms. They got up in what must have seemed the middle of the night, went to build weapons, then made it back home with enough daylight left to get farm chores done. Is this correct? Did they stay on this system the whole 4 years or did they jump forward and back twice a year? When I grew up school libraries were full of books about World War II, of which I read every one I could find. I am still in awe of what that generation endured and gave for this nation and for liberty throughout the world. I am disappointed not to see all those books still in the library.

/ New "Daylight Savings Time" #9  

Daylight savings time is an economic thing. the longer we are up the more money we spend.

Ben

/ New "Daylight Savings Time" #10  

"In the United States, the clocks were moved ahead by one hour from the standard time during WWII, (from February 9th, 1942 until September 30th, 1945), and no changes were made during the summer months."

Here's a web page with some history of the practice.