Mini Mag-Lite LED upgrade

/ Mini Mag-Lite LED upgrade #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Both bulbs burnt out on my mini Maglite. I was at REI; they had Maglite bulbs. Right next to them, they had a Nite Ize LED upgrade kit. So... I got one.

I installed it, and used the lite on a backpacking trip in Point Reyes this last weekend. It worked really well. The light was bright(3 LED's). It still had a blue tinge to it though, that I have noted in a lot of LED lights. It is pretty hard to make the white light spectrum from an LED, since the Silicon makeup will favor only a portion of the spectrum.

The ad on the package claims 4x battery life, and 10yr/100,000 hour LED life.I only used it on the overnite trip; a regular bulb and batteries would do fine there, so time will tell...

I did note that there was less variation on the beam pattern as the lense was adjusted. And, when using it as a candle, the LED's threw more light forward than to the sides.

The "kit" had the LED replacement "bulb" and a new reflector.

/ Mini Mag-Lite LED upgrade #2  
Could not find a price, what did it run you?

/ Mini Mag-Lite LED upgrade #4  
That's excellent since the pen type LED lights are more like 17$. Good idea to REI or whoever came up with it.

The narrow projection of LEDs is why they are difficult to use in automotive lenses. They point in one direction as compared to the everywhere output of the standard bulb.

/ Mini Mag-Lite LED upgrade #5  
whatever you do, don't look here!!!!!

DON'T DO IT!

don't click on the left side where it says "LED lights" either, because you will have to buy a flashlight before all is said and done.

DO click on the review pages cited at the bottom of some of the
flashlights though, before you buy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ps... I have ordered from these guys and all went well.

/ Mini Mag-Lite LED upgrade #6  
Home Power Magizine had a do it yourself led conversion with a radio shack led and 3 n batteries and a longer spring

back 2001 I've been using it ever sense then

I think led part # is 276-320

you drill out refelector to clear led

trim leads of led so its same over all lengh of mag bulb

put 3 "N" size batteries in battery compartment make (they are loose) roll up card board from led pakage and slide between batterys and inside of flashlight to fill void

measure from bottom of batteries and get a longer spring to trach cap (i used an old motor brush spring)

put led in lamp socket if it dosen't turn on remove and reinstall 180 degrees and it will light

install refelector

tom