Well Depth?

/ Well Depth? #1  

JimBinMI

Veteran Member
Tractor
2015 Kubota BX25D-1, New Holland TZ18DA
Just wondering, especially with some of you needing rain, how deep your wells are?

Up here in Michigan, I'm too far from town so I have my own, I would guess that many posters here do too. My well is only 118' deep, they hit solid rock at 108' and the water on the other side of it. I say only because my brother in law used to live in Montana and he said the wells he came across there were much deeper.

If you have one, how deep is your well?

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Well Depth? #2  
JimBinMI, water wells in this area vary greatly in both depth and water quality. The town of Frost has had it's own wells forever I guess and I don't know the depth, but a lot of folks complained about the taste, and the safety, so they just got hooked up to buy water last year from the city of Corsicana. I don't have a well; we have a member owned and operated community water system (about a thousand members) that buys the water from Corsicana. I know one guy who had 4 wells drilled on his place and never got any water, others have 30' to 40' wells just to water their yards and gardens (not fit to drink), and one guy who built a new house and had a good well drilled this year at 125'. In other words, tremendous variation in a 10 mile radius around us.

Bird

/ Well Depth? #3  
JimBinMI, as Bird said, in N. Georgia our wells can vary by hundreds of feet in depth. Down the mountain from me (1/4 mile) a well was drilled 150' and hit 30 gallons a minute. Up the mountain, about the same distance, they went 300' and hit 15 gallons a minute. Know a guy about a 1/2 mile away that has drilled 2 wells and still has sand in his water. We went 300' and thought we were ok until the pocket we were in went dry. Went back down the same hole and are now at 650' with 3 1/2 gallons a minute. We have great water now and haven't had any problems even with the 3 year drought we are in. Three years ago, when we drilled, it cost us about $7000 for this well. Sure hope it is the last one. If it hadn't been coming out of my pocket, per foot, that drilling rig was fun machine to watch.

/ Well Depth? #4  
When I lived in Jamul, CA (Inland from San Diego), we lived at 2500 ft elevation and were 30 miles from the Pacific Ocean. Had nearly 3 gpm water after drilling 650 ft through SOLID granite rock! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Took 10 days to fill the swimming pool! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Well Depth? #5  
Good water in this area is only about 200 feet deep. The water from my well tastes absolutely wonderful after you run it through a water softner and a reverse osmosis filter. Just like bottled water! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Well Depth?
Wen,

We have good water too, but we have iron so we use a softener. We do have a hard water tap at the sink for drinking and a filter on the refridgerator water, both taste good to me but some people on city water don't like the hard water taste.

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Well Depth? #7  
Why would you want to drink the un softened water? A ro unit does the finishing touches.

/ Well Depth? #8  
That is what the water softener does - makes the hard water soft. You are supposed to drink it! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I use it for small quantities of iron too. It does a really good job and the fixtures stay white! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Well Depth? #9  
Our well is over 450'. It tested at 14gpm. We are very heavy in iron. We run a mondo sized Rain Soft conditioner with a RO for drinking.

Our friend two miles away is about 300', and crystal clean.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Well Depth? #10  
JimBinMI: Regarding depth of wells, where I live in northern Ca. wells are anywhere from 20' to over 800'. Water quality varies greatly in a small area also. My well is 308' deep with about 25gpm and every mineral known to man. It is also 86 degrees at the well head. Had I known before I had my house plans cast in stone I could have heated the house with it. I have a Kinetco filter system to give me drinking water and household water but I still can't water plants with it because it has boron in it. A half mile up the highway a neighbor has a well that is 140' deep with over 200 gpm of the coolest, sweetest iron free water you would ever want to see. I could have bought that property but no I had to have a live creek. I just got the water system for irrigation from the creek hooked up last week and now I can wash my cars and have greenery around the house. Just can't drink the water from the creek because it runs by a cattle yard and roping arena. Oh well, built in fertilizer. This is probably more than you wanted to know about me so adios.