Well problem

/ Well problem #1  

kenneyz

Tractor
Bx 2200
OK guys I need some help, here's the facts as short as possible:
1) well is 250' deep with 100 feet of water
2) all was working, just very slow to build pressure, over 2min to get from 30 to 50 psi
3) gauge is new(bought yesterday), pressure tank holds air pressure set at 25 psi, well on set at 30 psi.
4) I THOUGHT pump was bad, had 1/2 hp 220v pump in well, pulled pump and replaced it w/ new 1/2 hp 220v pump.
5) Well now will not build any pressure. with hose connected you get a good soild stream of water @~14 psi; close valve to let pressure build in tank and it sits @ 30 psi and will not rise. Pump is running, pulling 5.5 amps on each leg, resistance is 6.3 ohms across pump.
now the real question.....was i just lucky all those years with the old pump.....meaning is a 1/2hp too small. the box says it's rated for 170'max, and I've got water @ 150 depth. With the hose on wide open the old pump would push water about a foot straight off the end of the hose, the new one will push it about 3, almost 4 feet.. a big improvement..but I can put my hand over the end and stop the flow with little or no spray leaking. I beilve all is ok(check valve and all) on the well pipe, we dont get any air and there was water right at the pitless adapter when we lifted the old pump out(btw..it was 15 years old). I really need some help guys, this is my old home and I have a buyer under contract so I need to get this resolved fast. Thanks in advance Ken. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Well problem #2  
Is there any indication of a leak between the pitless adapter and the water tank?

Perhaps pull the pump up untill you can put a fitting on the tubing and the see if the pump will pressure up.

Egon

/ Well problem #3  
The HP of the pump is only one part of the equation. You need to read the chart to see how many GPM at the elevation that you have the pump set at and then it will also give you a PSI rating for that depth. Some pumps are designed for deep wells and others for shallow wells. Not all pumps are created equal.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Well problem #4  
Also check for underground leaks AT and AFTER the pump head connection, like if it runs an underground line from the barn to the house.

We had such a leak, and it took me about three years to locate it. LOTS of high electric bills, replaced pump, etc etc.

Finally, a John Deere backhoe dig up around the pump head and we discovered that the "fitting" was done with PVC, instead of brass (by previous owner) and had snapped off when cold weather hit (-20, etc.).

The sign of this problem may be large areas of very wet spots, or even some puddling, which may be some distance (50 feet or more) from the well head. If you have any "mystery" spots of wetness, check for leaks in buried lines.

Hopefully, your problem will be solved easily.

/ Well problem #5  
You may be working at near max capacity of the pump. 250 ft well with 100 ft of water = lifting water 150 ft. @.43 psi per foot you need about 60 psi just to get the water to the top of the well. Somehow that doesn't look right to me but I can't spot the fallacy. Anyone??

Harry K

/ Well problem
All fixed!!!!!! Yep, the new pump was too small. We dropped in a 1hp tonight and I've got tons of pressure. The original 1/2hp pump was also actually larger than the new 1/2hp pump. ( just the pump section itself ...not the motorhead) I talked with a well driller today and he said it may have an extra stage, and that's why It kinda worked all that time, but it was too small anyhow. Whew....I'm glad that's over. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif