Lookin' to buy a quiet generator... suggestions???

/ Lookin' to buy a quiet generator... suggestions??? #1  

SonnieP

Silver Member
Tractor
See my signature in post.
Lookin\' to buy a quiet generator... suggestions???

I'm lookin' to pick up a new generator somewhere in the 5000 to 7000 continuous watts range... but I'd like for it to be a little quieter than the Coleman Powermate we have now. I'll be giving that one to my father-in-law since his went ka-put. I was checkin' out the ones at www.duropower.com ... they have a model 8000 that runs at a continuous 6600 watts and it rated at 69db, which is about 20db quieter than our Coleman... price shipped is $850. Didn't really want to spend that much, but I will if that's what it's gonna take to get a quiet one. I may even opt for one of their cheaper models with less watts. I've just never heard of this brand. Anyone know anything about them? Or have any suggestions? If you sell generators or know anyone who does... drop me a PM with a phone # and I'll call. I'm ready to buy as soon as I can find one that will fit.

Thanks!

/ Lookin' to buy a quiet generator... suggestions??? #2  
Re: Lookin\' to buy a quiet generator... suggestions???

Sonnie,

I have a Powermate 7000 and agree that it's noisy.
Do you use yours in a variety of locations for portable power or does it normally stay in a single place and used for power outages and such? My situation is the latter but let me throw out what I'm thinking.

Have you considered a different muffler or some type of enclosure? I'm going to try and find an alternate muffler but may also build some type of enclosure/sound barrier for its emergency power situations at the house.

I'm not familiar with the generator you're looking at but what specifically caught my attention is there's no name brand on the engine. I hopped over to their "engine" section and see the same 13hp engine there (again, no visible name) for $249. I'm going to assume it's some Chinese brand. I did a quick look on northerntool and a 11hp (slightly smaller) B&S Vanguard with no ele. start is $754.

Brian

/ Lookin' to buy a quiet generator... suggestions??? #3  

I have a Makita 6100R generator. It is rated at 74db at full output. I don't know if all the manufacturers rate them at full output. To me it seems very quiet. It also has "auto idle" so if there is no electrical load it automatically goes to idle. Of course then it is extremely quiet.

Phil

/ Lookin' to buy a quiet generator... suggestions??? #4  

I don't believe that quiet and cheap will occur at the same time in a generator.

Genuine Honda engines will have the quietest engines in a portable generator.

/ Lookin' to buy a quiet generator... suggestions???

We will use it mostly for power outages... it's becoming a regular thing in south Alabama ya know, and where we live about all it takes is someone to sneeze next door. When it goes out we are at the end of the line so it takes a few days to get it restored. We haven't come up with any other uses for it as of yet. Haven't considered closing it in or installing a larger muffler.

I've emailed DuroPower on the engine and db rating. May call them later on this morning... they are a few hours behind us so they are probably just rollin' out of the bed or maybe eating breakfast at the IHOP right about now.

We had a Makita a long time ago... paid dearly for it and ended up taking it back because felt like we'd wasted our money. One of those situations (about 10 years ago) where we went through the storm, was without power for several days, then went and bought one. At that time we lived somewhere else and got to thinkin' how often we lost power, even in a major storm. Couldn't justify it. Took it back unused and got our $1400 back. Very nice generator... just expensive back then. Haven't seen one in my willing to spend price range recently.

Honda's are fairly quiet no doubt... but they are also proud of their products... way over-priced IMO.

The Powermate we have is quieter than my father-in-laws that broke... but I just thought I might find a little quieter one this time around.

/ Lookin' to buy a quiet generator... suggestions??? #6  

Sonnie, while they cost more, have you given any thought to a tri-fuel generator that runs off gasoline, propane or natural gas? I bought one years ago and have never regretted spending the extra money. I have mine plumbed into the natural gas line and we've had some extended outages that would have been a nightmare to have to deal with if I had to keep putting gas in the tank every 5-6 hours. Its not so much the grief of refilling as having to keep so much gasoline on hand, or to have to run out and buy it every day to keep the generator running. Not a big deal if the power goes out for a few hours, but if it goes out for 12 to 36 hours then you need plenty of gasoline on hand.

Propane & natural gas also burn much cleaner than regular gas so plug fouling is much less of an issue.

Just a thought. But it comes at a higher price.

You know Bob... I have not thought about that but it might be a good idea. We own a propane tank and we keep if filled for the gas grill and a small gas log heater in our palm room. Heck, we only fill it up about once every 2.5 years or so. While we have a 300 gallon gas tank, we have to hook it to the generator just to pump gas out into cans... last time we got smart and filled the cans prior to the storms arrival. Yet it aggravating to have to keep gas poured in the generator every 8-10 hours. Propane would be the ticket.

Do they make a kit for conversion or do you just have to buy one specifically built for it? What brands make them?

Now you got me spending more money... it may end up being all your fault. You may have to pitch and help out.
greengrin.gif

Thanks!

/ Lookin' to buy a quiet generator... suggestions??? #8  

I presume they sell kits, but I don't know who or where to get one.

I bought mine from Northern Tool several years ago (maybe 8 years ago?). It uses a Briggs Vanguard 16hp V-Twin motor with electric start. It looks like the only real difference between it an a motor that runs straight gasoline is that mine has a propane/natural gas regulator mounted on the side to hook into to. I'm told that the carb may be a slightly different version than a straight gasoline type carberator? But I honestly don't know.

I leave the natural gas valve in the OFF position except for when we have a power failer. To switch over to the generator I simply rotate the gas valve and turn the key. I have a "battery tender" hooked up to the generator's battery to make sure it is in good shape. I replaced the battery about 2 years ago. In the basement I have a professionally installed cut-over switch so I don't backfeed electricity into the power lines to prevent accidental electricution of the utility workers. It is as simple as starting the generator and flipping the cutover switch. I don't have the fancy units that "exercise" themselves each month, nor do I have the auto switch that automatically turns on the generator when the power fails.

What is nice is that when all the neighbors houses are dark, I can sit in my living room and watch HDTV on the big screen, eating microwave popcorn, and I can take hot showers in the morning because my well is powered and my food is not spoiling in my fridge/freezer, and heat my house in the winter. And while a couple of them with gas generators make frantic trips out to the gas station (closest one is about a 35 minute drive round trip assuming there is no line at the pumps), I can relax and not worry about the generator stopping during the middle of my favorite movie.

You got me beat on one thing then... while we were able to watch the big screen, our satellite was out so there was no HDTV... only the local station and they weren't showing HD at the time, only weather news. We did have the fridge and freezer running... along with the coffee pot, fish aquarium (wife insisted), and a fan.

From the looks of it... we may be needing it again very soon. Maybe it will go another direction.

/ Lookin' to buy a quiet generator... suggestions??? #10  

Yes, they do make tri-fuel kits but whether they make one for your Coleman, I don't know. Try this site for information and they are helpful when you call.

A set up like Bob's would be ideal. I looked into the exact same set up a couple of years ago after a 30 hour power loss resulting from an ice storm, the longest we have ever had. Our outages are few and usually last from 2 to 8 hours so the expense wasn't justified and it is pretty expensive. After all the research I did, I don't think you are going to find a cheap, quiet generator for occasional use. The two things seem to be mutually exclusive. Honda and Yamaha probably make the quietest out there but they are certainly not cheap. Good luck on your search.