160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs -

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #11  
Re: 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn\'rs -

I just read a report that predicts that 60 to 80% of the housing in New Orleans will be destroyed. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif They also said that the French Quarter could be under 20 feet of water due to a 28 foot storm surge. They predict that there will be 1 million homeless from this storm. Ferocity like that is almost unfathomable.

I'm sure all of us will have our fellow TBNers in our thoughts and prayers. Be safe!

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #12  

Camille

Don't let your guard down. I'm 50 miles south of Nelson co. We had 13 inches of rain that night. Those folks were caught off guard. The storm came over the blue ridge and set right on top of us. I talked to a Mr. Cash that lived near the Tye river. He said it rained so hard that night there was little air to breath when he went outside and tried to get to his truck. The locals say it rained 32 inches in places in 12 hours. Many folks were never found after the water went down. They searched for weeks up and down those creeks and rivers.

I also remember Hazel in 54. That one went on into Canada and lives were lost there too.

I have a bad feeling about this one tonight. Maybe because I remember so well,Camille in 69. Looks like the same path.

I'll close with this. May God be with anyone in the path of this one. You're gonna need Him. And for you folks inland. Don't let your guard down till this thing has gone. They can be killers days after making land fall and a thousand miles inland under the right conditions.

I'm going to bed now and say my prayer. And hope all those here will have a story they can tell after this one is gone. That'll mean you made it through it.

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #13  

This one's got me shaking in my boots. They've mentioned the flooding, the destruction, the environmental damage, the affect on oil prices...and that's just the beginning. We could be talking about almost a million refugees, massive economic loss, enormous unemployment, and none of that take into account that it might destroy the insurance industry.

I hope none of this is as bad as I can see it. But then, I keep hearing the newsmen saying things like, "This could last for weeks or months...", and all I have to do is look around to see houses still under repair, and villages of FEMA trailers with displaced residents, almost a year after the category 1 storms that hit us last year.

One consultant on CNN just breached the suggestion that has concerned me -- that it's possible it might be easier to abandon New Orleans and start again somewhere else. His suggestion was met with total silence for a few seconds...

The most fortunate circumstance so far was the absolutely amazing and effective job the officials did in New Orleans to get people to evacuate. I would not have thought it possible.

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs -

Oil prices are already heading higher because of this, and you are right...the impact on all of us in terms of higher insurance rates....they have to make it up somewhere. I just can't imagine the environmental disaster that will be, if New Orleans gets flooded. And the potential for power outages all the way to Cleveland as late as thursday....that one has me concerned. My thoughts will be with those in harms way tonight.

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #15  

Speaking of oil prices, the oil companies say that they evacuate the rigs when a storm approaches, but as I recenly found out, this isn't quite the truth. One of the members of our church is riding out Katrina on a rig south of the Louisiana coast.

Steve

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #16  

Don,

The consultant was likely correct. At least people are not staying and have been taking these storms seriously. I saw a report that 80% of the people had left.

After Floyd hit NC a few years ago, flood victims where living in FEMA travel trailers for a couple of years. That is bad but the floods hit low lying areas all over the eastern part of the state. But with New Orleans it sure sounds like most of the city could be gone. Floyd left thousands homeless but it could be very local. I saw a couple of trailer parks that where all but wiped out. The water slowly flooded the parks. Once the water hit the bottom of the trailers they where gone. BUT, there where a couple of trailers that where JUST sitting high enough not be condemed. It does not look like New Orleans will be so lucky...

I guess we will know by the end of today. And then the center part of the country is next. I know they finally fixed some or the roads in the NC mountains that have been closed since the storms from last year.....

Later,
Dan

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #17  

Stephen... I'm surprised you are still hangin' around Daphne. It's gotta be purty rough your way about now.

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #18  

I actually was at work during the passage of Katrina. We lost communications at three of our offices (still out as of this hour) due to a dozen trunk lines being broken in New Orleans, with several of the surrounding offices scambling to cover their responsibilities.

Personally got off pretty easy(as did we with Ivan, than you, Lord). Some siding torn loose, skirting around the house needs put back in place, and a window needs replaced. Very lucky since one of the B.I.L. has part of his roof torn off about 150yds away. Kept in touch with the wife and daughter at her brother's, and the S.I.L., but was still worried sick.

Am prayin' mighty hard that most had the common sense to get to shelter, with loss of life limited. The pictures of the damage, from both the water and winds just flabergasted me.

On a good note, got to meet some of my S.I.L's in-laws from New Orleans. Never got to meet her departed husband, but after today, I feel I've gotten to know him a bit better. The S.I.L. had this bunch of crazy cajuns dropping in at 1am this morning(Monday) after they couldn't make it to Talahasse. I know she was worrying herself sick not hearing from them.

Steve

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #19  

Report I saw this am said 55 dead so far in the Biloxi area. The reporter who was describing what she had seen talked about people she would come in contact with having expressionless faces. "Shell shocked" she called it. Almost like the soul had been sucked out of them. Descriptions have been similar to Andrew reports. Comments like "Nothing left" and "all you can see is where the buildings used to be". Unless you've been there, it's almost impossible to phathom.

Makes you count your lucky stars!

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #20  

We were watching the local news stations last night, the guests so they could see anything of their homes. I imagine I'll be working extra, helping where I can with the damage surveys for the office (The National Weather Service). Also help cover for our office in Slidell that was knocked out(haven't checked to see if anyone has been able to contact anyone there, yet).

Steve