160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs -

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #1  

sassafraspete

Platinum Member
not heaven but you can see it from here... Brown C
Tractor
Branson (kukje) 4020, 40hp turbo
160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn\'rs -

Golly, I just saw the latest pictures on Katrina....which is now a Cat 5 (catestrophic) and packing 160 mile per hr winds. They said there could be damage as far north as Nashville TN. That got my attention. I suspect we will get effects even here in Indiana.

My heart goes out to all you TBN folks in LA, MS, AL.... I hope you are taking this one seriously.

sassafraspete

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #2  
Re: 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn\'rs -

Pete every time I see one of these on the news it makes me feel secure knowing that we live so far inland. Course tornadoes are still a possibility anywhere, but the coast has just been pounded this year.

Be safe out there.....

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #3  

Break out the water wings.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #4  

Seems like I saw a PBS show about how vulnerable New Orleans is to a hurricane since the city is so low. This may get uglier than most.

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs -

I just came in from weed eating, and now they are saying Katrina is at 175 MPH...about the effect of an F3 tornado. They were also saying storm surge could be from 20 - 30 feet. New Orleans is under mandatory evac. Some unbelievable shots of TV... this thing is huge. I wonder if Dan Rather will come out of retirement to stand on the beach holding onto a sign. It better be a 40 footer.

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #6  

This storm sure blew up overnight. When I got up this morning, I was shocked to hear it was a Cat5 with 160mph winds. If it is now 175 mph, I truly hope those in its path got out in time. With all the hurricanes this year and last, it makes me glad I live in MI. Give me a blizzard over a hurricane any day. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I was reading an article on the Weather Channel's website. Katrina does have 175mph winds and is expected to grow larger and stronger. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Here is the article:

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/?from=wxcenter_news

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #7  

A long time ago there was an article in Scientific American projecting more violent storms, droughts, and deluges caused by global warming. Throw in rising sea level from polar melting and I won't be surprised to see many moving inland because of home insurance cost. The summer that Charley later hit S. Florida, my Mom's insurance co dropped coverage of her Arcadia, FL neighborhood. They all scrambled to find another carrier. Later, it was flattened by Charley.

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs -

What amazes me is the sheer size of this thing. On photos, the cloud cover stretches nearly the entire north- south edge of the gulf...eg cancun to New Orleans. They are saying there have only been 3 cat 5s to hit the states.... Andrew, Camille, and the labor day storm of 35. Camille killed something like 250 people. Strangely enough, they were saying 100 of them were in Virginia....due to flooding. So, it's hard to say what impact it may have inland.

I've been trying to get some work done today, but keep getting drawn back in front of the tube watching as this thing develops. I can't imagine the long term effects if there is a direct hit across New Orleans.

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #9  

I'll take an Earthquake any day.........

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #10  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'll take an Earthquake any day......... )</font>

Dang. Neighbor, that was going to be my line.

Anyhow - we hope you folks in the Gulf region come through this ok. Please keep us informed.