Texas Bill - Broadband Over Power Line - Pending..

/ Texas Bill - Broadband Over Power Line - Pending.. #2  
I think it will die, but that is me.

If it makes sense, it will not happen. Plus it will take $$$ out of someones pockets....aka cable people....

/ Texas Bill - Broadband Over Power Line - Pending..
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If it makes sense, it will not happen. Plus it will take $$$ out of someones pockets....aka cable people.... )</font>

Well,
VOIP/cable works (very well, thank you) and the Ma-Bells are for the first time really feeling some competition (not counting the onslaught of the various wireless entities).
The electric utility companies are also feeling some competition for the first time.

Like I've always said, competition makes the pie larger for all.

I guess, by your analogy, it doesn't make sense. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Maybe someone slipped up... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Texas Bill - Broadband Over Power Line - Pending.. #4  
Sure I also have VOIP and well, it is the same until you have problems. If you want CHEAP service then VOIP is it. Now it you want reliable and hassle-free operation, VOIP is not it. With a LAN line and/or cell phone you have one thing and one thing only to worry about, the company that provides service. Throw in VOIP now you have 2 businesses and then add in you. Lot of issues for a $15 monthly bill.

I feel it will not be a hit in all or most state. It is not as simple as offering broadband…Look how long it took HDTV to start coming out. …….Again, it is a pipe dream here and the people not with T3, t1, broadband and maybe DSL are the ones hoping it will coming online soon. For me, I have had broadband over 6 years and want something faster. 4 to 8 mbps is getting pretty old....

Then again, broadband can mean have a huge delta in mbps too.

/ Texas Bill - Broadband Over Power Line - Pending.. #5  
Service from Ma Bell?
You wait all day for them NOT to show up.
They bring the wrong equipment after you tell them what the issue is.
You spend 5 minutes talking to a machine before someone picks up.
They hide fees in your bill automatically that you do not need to pay if you ask them to remove it.
They SELL you phone number (southwester Bell had admitided it) to phone sales people.

That is not service in my opinion. I used to think "thats just the way it is all over"

Thats untill I went to a smaller CO-OP that is in my area!!

Again this is just my opinion.

/ Texas Bill - Broadband Over Power Line - Pending.. #6  
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you want CHEAP service then VOIP is it. Now it you want reliable and hassle-free operation, VOIP is not it. With a LAN line and/or cell phone you have one thing and one thing only to worry about, the company that provides service. )</font>

I agree VOIP is not the greatest thing. A LOT of reliablility issues. (BTW - it's called a land line) In our small college, we support around 4k phones. We are at present moving from the cat's meow (Avaya PBX - downtime <2min in 6 years) to some bs that, just based on $$$ that the board of directors approved (Cisco VOIP downtime at least 8 hours every other month).
But, I disagree with you about wireless. It goes up and down too frequently to count without equipment.

Maybe issues are different for residential VIOP than there are for business V'P.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I...want something faster. 4 to 8 mbps is getting pretty old....)</font>

I agree with that too. It's fun to patch in to the college backbone (twin T3s)...stuff loads NOW! Just seeing what's possible kind of spoils you.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Service from Ma Bell?
You wait all day for them NOT to show up.
They bring the wrong equipment after you tell them what the issue is.)</font>

WOW, that's bad. I've never had an issue with the Bell's (or Verizon) I've worked with. Maybe it's because I know the terminology and jargon to talk with them on their level (I am a telephone technician). Also, I know the unpublished numbers to call and get things done.

/ Texas Bill - Broadband Over Power Line - Pending.. #9  
I know about it a lottle also - but I told them when they installed it that it was a 200 YD run - when they came out they said - ok this is ove 100 FT I need to bring another truck out next week.
This was after they stood me up 3 times!! & I got the " hmmm I do not know what happened today" answer.

OH well I guess I am done venting

/ Texas Bill - Broadband Over Power Line - Pending.. #10  
From what little I've heard, it's super fast, very reliable and will be available to anybody with electricity. There's an allot of positive points to it that I'm really looking forward to.

Eddie