Tranny fluid

/ Tranny fluid #1  

lawnduster

Bronze Member
Tractor
CAT 966, Case 580
how often should i get the tranny fluid in my van checked

/ Tranny fluid #2  
Checking is free and easy. Just pull out the transmission dipstick while the engine is running and the transmission is in neutral. Wipe it off, and put it back in. Pull it out and look at the end to see if the level is correct. Do this after the van has been run for at least 30 minutes. Then smell the transmission fluid. If it smells burned, then have it changed. If it is a dark brownish color, it needs to be changed. Depending on the mileage, and whether it is synthetic or dino based, determines the change interval. If dino, I would change at least every 35,000 miles including the filter. If synthetic, check with the owners manual. Changing fluid is a cheap way to preserve the transmission. Driving sensibly is the other way.

/ Tranny fluid #3  
Ditto what Junk said.....

Also, if you change it or add to it, make ssure you use the correct fluid. There are many types out there now. Ford for example uses about 5 different fluids in current modles. usually the dipstick will say the type of fluid required, otherwise it should also be located in the owners manual.

/ Tranny fluid #4  
Also also, if it hasn't been changed in over 100,000 miles and if it's not burned smelling, don't mess with it, just top it off. The best way to change it is with one of those machines that exchanges the fluid, otherwise if you just pull the pan and change the filter, most of the fluid is still in the torque converter.

/ Tranny fluid #5  
If you wanted to DIY and get most of the junk out, you can drop the pan, replace the filter, refill, and then remove the tranny return line and route to a bucket. Have someone start the car while you add fresh fluid to the fill tube. You are replacing what is getting pumped into the bucket. When the fluid coming into the bucket is bright red (like the stuff you are dumping in), you are done. You'll want to have at least as many quarts handy as your manual says is capacity.