Whole house generator - - generac?

/ Whole house generator - - generac? #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
We are still without power after the storm at the end of August. While it is a huge expense for our budget, given that the storm season is not over, & that we seem to be in a cycle of very active seasons, we are about to buy a whole house generator. I cannot do the work myself, so I'm at the mercy of installers. I've been quoted $6k for a 15kw Generac Plus, including transfer switch - - installed. I'd still have to make arrangements for a propane tank. Anyone have experience in this area? Is it a fair price?

Thanks,

Jack

/ Whole house generator - - generac? #2  
You should search the forums here on "Generac" - I believe you will find several unhappy customers. If memory serves me correctly there was one who a problem with his immediately after purchase and it took an unreal amount of time to get Generac to do anything about it (like a year) ..... and I'm not sure that they ever did .... the remedy may have come from whoever he purchased it from.

/ Whole house generator - - generac? #3  
I didn't get a Generac, I got a Coleman that looks just like it. I would recommend that whatever you get, get one with a Honda engine. I had one with a B&S, and had nothing but trouble with it.

3 years ago my 10KW unit with transfer switch cost about $3500 + electrical hookup of about $400. The propane company hooked up their line for free as part of the tank installation.

Then the company that couldn't repair my generator let me upgrade to the 11KW Honda engined one for another $500. I should state that I had my house wired with the installation of a generator in mind, so the electrical hookup was pretty simple.

In my humble opinion it would be worth the piece of mind no matter what the cost. And $6K doesn't sound that bad compared to what I have and the inflation since 2002.

One more thing, check with FEMA, they may cover some or all of the expense if you get it while your power is still out. I got $200 from them after our area was declared a disaster area after the ice storm last winter. That was for fuel for the chainsaw and generator. If I would have had to buy those items during the blackout, I would have recouped almost all of my expenses.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Whole house generator - - generac? #4  
I have a Generac 15KW propane powerd unit. It's the air cooled 3600RPM model that was purchased from the "Electric Generator Store" in Ohio. Shipped right to my door. IIRC the cost was right near $3100. That included the transfer switch and the 15KW upgrade.

Installation was included in the electrical cost of the new home, so I don't have a breakdown for that. The cable that connects the transfer switch to the unit was about 6' too short, so we had to add a box to splice on longer wires.

No problems at all with the unit. Yes, it's louder than a liquid cooled unit would be, but as long as the air conditioning is working I can sleep fine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ran about 8 hours total after Monday's storm.

/ Whole house generator - - generac? #5  
I use to sell generac generators several years ago,& can tell you that if you are going to run a/c that generac doesnot recomend the air cooled mod. To go with the 4 cyl water cooled mod.At one time they put out a memo that stated that if a/c was connected to an air cooled generator that it voided the warranty. I would say to call generac tech. dept. to see it this has changed.

/ Whole house generator - - generac?
Thanks for the feedback. I was assured that the unit would handle one of my heat pumps at a time, but not both of them. That's something I can live with. I will definitely ask about running the AC - - if I can't, I won't go with it. thanks.

Jack

/ Whole house generator - - generac? #7  
Heat pump or a/c unit same thing as far as load. Did the person that is trying to sell you the unit telling you it will operate your unit ok ? I wish you luck , but like I said call generac for their opinion on running a/c /h.p. unit on air cooled engine .

/ Whole house generator - - generac? #8  
"At one time they put out a memo that stated that if a/c was connected to an air cooled generator that it voided the warranty"

-That's bologney. Please educate me as to why the generator cares what it's output is being used for. If the unit is of adequate size, including surge capacity for start ups, then what is sucking juice at the end of the cord shouldn't matter a bit.

I use every available watt from my cheap coleman 6850 surge generator. I've run RV A/C units, welders, and anything else that uses electricity since that is what a generator is for.

/ Whole house generator - - generac? #9  
In Ohio, Home Depot sells the 15K Generac for $2995.00 and charge $1,000 for the install. Sometimes they have a 10% off sale if you use their credit card. Central ohio stores normally have 1 in stock. I don't know how good they are, but they look like a decent unit. With their setup, you get the most for your money (generator, transfer switch, wiring, etc..)..

/ Whole house generator - - generac? #10  
If it doesn't say in the installation instructions, sales brochure, or owners manual not to run an A/C unit, and it doesn't, they haven't got a leg to stand on. That's my opinion for what it's worth.