Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ?

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #1  

Mike_C

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-22
Since childhood I have heard the term Bush Hog, but now on TBN I'm hearing several people use the term Brush Hog. Which term is the correct one???

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #2  
<font color="blue"> Which term is the correct one??? </font>
It depends on the context...I think. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bush Hog is a brand name, whereas brush hog is a generic term for a mower that's not a finish mower, i.e., a rotary cutter. In Australia, and maybe other countries, they're called slashers. Although, as you noticed, people use Bush Hog and brush hog interchangeably.

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #3  
I believe the correct term is rotary cutter.
Bush Hog is actually a name brand that people use to refer to the rough cut mower just like people always refer to tissues as Kleenexes. I do this myself quite a bit.

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #4  
Which term is the correct one? Rotary Cutter.

Brush or Bush pretty much means the same thing. There is a company named Bush Hog, and they probably took that name because Bush Hog probably is the more common term used.

Many people say, "can I have a Kleenex?" even though they may or may not be referring to the company called Kleenex, but rather a tissue in general.

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #5  
Bush Hog is a brand name. It has been around for a long time. The brand name has become synonomous with the tool as a generic name.

It's kind of like Kleenex or Saran Wrap. Kleenex is a tissue; if I ask for a Kleenex, most folks would hand me a tissue whether it be Kleenex brand or another brand.

What you describe is a Rotary Cutter. I have a Kubota BL348. It is specifically described in the manual as a "rotary cutter".

I have a Bush Hog on the front of my Kubota. A Bush Hog 1846QT loader that is /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #6  
That's funny! A few of us were replying at the same time. And all of us used the Kleenex analogy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #7  
Ok Robert, I'll change mine to Xerox machine and copy machine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #8  
And besides all the names already listed for a rotary cutter; i.e., rotary cutter, brush hog, Bush Hog, and slasher, they're also known in some parts of the country as shredders.

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #9  
I vote for shredder... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #10  
I will have to go with Bird and call it a shredder. Growing up in TX I've never heard it called anything else. If I told my Dad or Grandfather I was going to mow the pasture I would get some funny looks--What are you doing with the lawnmower, go get the tractor and shred the pasture. But alas, a if it walks and talks like a duck, it must be.

That's what is great about this place: people from all over.