Ryobi Cordless Tool Experiences?

/ Ryobi Cordless Tool Experiences? #11  
I've had the 4 tool kit for about 5 years, would recommend it to anyone.

/ Ryobi Cordless Tool Experiences? #12  
Hazmat, about 10 years ago I had a Ryobi 12v drill/driver I really liked. I liked it so much I decided to build a wood plank fence and use screws instead of nails. The fence was about 400' long. Halfway through the project the drill self-destructed. The motor and electrics were fine, but the plastic case just split and cracked in all directions. I went to Lowes to buy a replacement and they showed me that the Ryobi was a "consumer grade" or "homeowner grade" tool. It was not certified for commercial or professional use, but the Dewalt was. I bought three 12v Dewalts with six batteries and have used and abused them for over 10 years. They all still work fine.

So, I'd just say to read the fine print and see what kind of use the drill is recommended for and compare that to your intended use. I'm not bad-mouthing Ryobi. I'm just saying that if I had read the fine print I would have known that it was not intended to be used for heavy-duty work. The new ones might be just fine. I'd say you should read the fine print no matter what tool you buy.

/ Ryobi Cordless Tool Experiences? #13  
IMHO when it comes to cordless tools you get what you pay for. If you want a kit that is light duty and rarely used ryobi would be the way to go. If you plan on heavy duty abuse then go with Dewalt. The Rigid line of cordless tools looks tough. The drill/driver doesn't seem to be well balanced though. Just get what fits your needs.

/ Ryobi Cordless Tool Experiences? #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( IMHO when it comes to cordless tools you get what you pay for. If you want a kit that is light duty and rarely used ryobi would be the way to go. If you plan on heavy duty abuse then go with Dewalt. The Rigid line of cordless tools looks tough. The drill/driver doesn't seem to be well balanced though. Just get what fits your needs. )</font>

I agree but I had a Dewalt. It went into the trash. Batteris could not work for ______.

/ Ryobi Cordless Tool Experiences? #15  
I have one of the "kits" from Ryobi, use it for some light duty stuff around the house. My only concern is the keyless chuck, it will come loose from a bit. Everything else is great.

At work most guys have dewalt, but I have ryobi drill. have worn out two batteries, replaced them for 49.00, and it still works great.

/ Ryobi Cordless Tool Experiences? #16  
I've had several brands, about any you can name,Dewalt-Black n Decker. They all had battery issues. They all had chuck issues. I replaced the chuck on most of them with a stronger one for about $20(I think).

Bottom line for me is, I will always have one. The best deal I can find, as long as it feels like it has some quality built in. I dont have brand loyalty here, none of the batteries last and its almost just as cheap to get a new drill than replace the battery. BTW, I have heard that the Interstate battery stores will build them for you, something to think about. I havent tried it yet, but I do have 4-5 drills here with no batteries....... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ryobi Cordless Tool Experiences? #17  
I've had my Ryobi 4 in 1 kit (circular saw, sawsall, screwdriver/drill, light, charger, two batteries) for two years. Everything still works fine except 2 few weeks ago one of the batteries went south (the yellow and green lights on the charger come on at the same time). I use the drill all the time; maybe I might switch brands in the future but now I always want to have a cordless drill.. The sawsall is ok - the blades make the difference. The circular saw eats batteries - I can can cut about 20 - 30 " inches of 2x4 and then the charge is gone, and it can't cut really thick wood. I'd do it all again except I might swap the circular saw for something else.

/ Ryobi Cordless Tool Experiences? #18  
Although, I don't actually have any experience with the Ryobi brand kit, I do have some experience with the DeWalt kit as we just purchased this kit for my dad. We got it at close to cost which is the only reason we bought it. Here is what we have found so far:
The 18 volt XRP Dewalt batteries hold their charge quite well.
I used the recipricating saw to cut the pto shaft off for my tiller. I was very impressed as it went through both pieces like nothing.
The skil saw has plenty of power as well and you can rip a 2X4 with little problems and still have plenty of battery to do other tasks.
Used the drill to drill holes for anchors into solid concrete walls.
Now for a couple of the downsides.
My dad likes his old 9.6 Makita drill better as it is lighter and more compact and easier to use for most applications.
The cost is outrageous. I think the seven piece set plus two batteries we cost normally retailed for around $700.
The tools can get pretty heavy after a while with the batteries weight.

Bottom line is that if I had to pay retail for either one, I would have to go with the less expensive as I can't justify the cost of the DeWalt set unless I was a contractor using them everyday.

/ Ryobi Cordless Tool Experiences? #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I hope I don't get 'drilled' for this, since you didn't ask, but the Sears Craftsman sets are probably on about the same quality level as Riobi. )</font> I believe Ryobi makes the cordless tools for Craftsman.

/ Ryobi Cordless Tool Experiences?
Thanks for the input - I've got a 10 year old Makita cordless - It is on batteries 3 & 4 (generics $25 each - couldn't see spending $50 each for a 10 year old tool) but is getting a bit tired. It has umpteen hours on it & has been dropped countless times, so I can't complain.... Sounds like the Ryobi is a good value for the $, but may or may not hold up forever. I have seen some good deals on refurbed Makita, Bosch & Dewalts... Ahh decisions...