How much wood.............

/ How much wood............. #11  
I'm with Rozette and Beenthere on this one. When a guy (Rozette)makes a partial living selling firewood tells me a cord doesn't really fit in a PU and goes out and buys a dump trailer to deliver I would buy my wood from him /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Up here (according to the Manchester Union Leader) there is a state law requiring firewood only to be sold in cord units. No ricks, facecords or anything else. Keeps everybody on the same page.

Phil

/ How much wood.............
A cord (2 ricks) won't stack below the top of the bed in a full-sized pick-up, but it WILL haul in an 8' bed none-the-less. BTDT MANY times. A pick-up bed IS 4' BETWEEN the fenderwells, but there's plenty of bed beyond that point. In addition, the stack can (and does in my case) go above the bedsides. I've hauled 2-1/2 rick on an 8' pick-up bed more times than I care to recall. It's a heck of a load, but it will fit.

/ How much wood............. #13  
Farmwithjunk,

The farm I worked on was right along the Ohio river there was not a town in KY nearby but I think the town across the river was Madison. We would drive over there every once in a while to get pizza. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr. Taylor had I think 160 acres on the river. He was going to turn it into a subdivision but the Marble Hill nuke plant was being built just down river from his place. Kinda ruined his plans. I don't think they ever finished it so maybe he turned the place into a subdivision after all.

Anywho, he would cut the trees, top 'em, drag 'em to me, where he would cut them into rounds which I then would split. We would have a mountain of wood at the end of the summer. One year he loaded up a semi to haul the wood to a place by the Watson Expressway. That was out in the middle of no where back them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But the truck could not make it up the grade. We used a big UHAUL filled half with wood to get to L'ville.

Hard to believe that the price of wood has only doubled in a couple of decades...

Later,
Dan

/ How much wood.............
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Farmwithjunk,

The farm I worked on was right along the Ohio river there was not a town in KY nearby but I think the town across the river was Madison. We would drive over there every once in a while to get pizza. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr. Taylor had I think 160 acres on the river. He was going to turn it into a subdivision but the Marble Hill nuke plant was being built just down river from his place. Kinda ruined his plans. I don't think they ever finished it so maybe he turned the place into a subdivision after all.

Anywho, he would cut the trees, top 'em, drag 'em to me, where he would cut them into rounds which I then would split. We would have a mountain of wood at the end of the summer. One year he loaded up a semi to haul the wood to a place by the Watson Expressway. That was out in the middle of no where back them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But the truck could not make it up the grade. We used a big UHAUL filled half with wood to get to L'ville.

Hard to believe that the price of wood has only doubled in a couple of decades...

Later,
Dan )</font>

The Marble Hill Nuke Plant never was finished. (Another Bechtell (sp) fiasco....) Public Service of Indiana (now known as Cinergy) users ended up absorbing the billions wasted. It was de-certified by the nuclear regulatory commission in the late 1980's, sighting gross negligent saftey violations in the construction. It is being stripped of any material that can be recycled. The containment towers (one nearly finished, the other about 1/2 finished) will forever be a scar on the Madison/Hanover area of Jefferson County Indiana.

"Old Taylor Place" is now a thriving up-scale subdivision.

WATTERSON Expressway is the major east/west cross-town link in Louisville.

And who would have known 20 years ago, natural gas/home heating fuels would be at the price they are now.

/ How much wood............. #15  
HGM,

If I ever bought a wood splitter I would make a bench to put it on so I could work standing up. The one I ran on the farm I was bent over all day. I tried to kneel, sit on rounds, etc but I was still bent over for the most part. Day after Day.

I could do sit ups real well in PE! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I built a "table" that is 4x8x3 feet. I pick up the logs with the 4n1 bucket and put them on the table. Then I can saw the log up into rounds while standing. After I split the wood with the maul I stack the wood on pallets. I keep everything covered int tarps. To get the wood to the house I put the pallet forks on the tractor, tie a tarp tightly around the wood sitting on the pallet, and move it to the house.

The pallets really help minimize the work effort.

Later,
Dan

/ How much wood............. #16  
The one I rented was molunted on a trailer and I was able to stand up while using it. With the logs loaded on the trailer, it was nearly waist or lat lease knee high, So bending was minimal. Worked really well for my needs.

/ How much wood............. #17  
My homebuilt is a bit under knee high. Every time I use it, I swear that I will have it cut apart and insert at least a 9" lift.
Would only require cutting the welds on the axle and brace but I welded the p*** out of them. Don't have the equipment to do it myself anymore, probably wouldn't be able to see well enought to re-weld anyhow.

Harry K

/ How much wood............. #18  
When I was a kid my dad borrowed a log splitter that was powered by a large flywheel run off a small engine. You would load the log and then pull a lever that would engage the ram with the flywheel. This was much faster than moving hydraulic cylinders. I haven't seen anything like this since then. Does anyone know if they still make a splitter that is powered by a flywheel?

Thanks,
Kevin

/ How much wood............. #19  
Kevin,

Here a post about the flywheel powered Super Split from last month.

/ How much wood............. #20  
Just my .02. If you stack the wood in very tightly you can get a cord of wood in a fullsize pickup, but it is tight. wood just thrown in will be maxed out at one rick or less. Consider the dimensions inside a pickup bed and subtract the humps for the wheel wells. Basically just enough volume for one cord if stacked very tightly.

Most people around here sell a pickup load of thrown in wood as a cord and in reality it is perhaps less than a face cord or rick.

Ben