How much wood.............

/ How much wood............. #1  

Farmwithjunk

Tractor
Where do I begin.....
..........can a wood truck truck?

We buy and sell firewood by the rick around these parts. Cords, facecords, and all those other terms don't apply here.

So. (a rick is 4'x8'x2') How many rick(s) have you (or can you) stack in the bed of a full-sized pick-em-up truck?

I just loaded 2-1/2, and don't you know, the sun went behind the only cloud in the sky, and it started raining. Now I get to UNLOAD in the rain. NICE. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This will give me 8-1/2 ricks at the house. More to follow in a few days.

/ How much wood............. #2  
Farmwithjunk,

When I was selling firewood in L'ville a few decades ago we sold by the rick and cord. Seems like we could get a cord in the bed of a fullsize PU. I think I was selling a cord for $65 delivered.

Selling was easy, it was the splitting the wood in the summer that was aweful. On land right next to the Ohio river. Talk about hot and humid. YUCK! I developed "issues" with power log splitters. Now I just split with a maul. Being bent over that log splitter all day long left me wondering if I would ever be able to stand straight again. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Later,
Dan

/ How much wood............. #3  
Since one cord equals 2 ricks I can use your funny units. A typical pickemup is loaded with two ricks. More is a bonus to the buyer who seldom wants to buy a quarter cord.

/ How much wood............. #4  
Based on your definition of a rick (4x8x2), that is one-half of a cord. Obviously, the weight of the firewood depends on the species. For the stuff I deliver (ash, oak, maple) the weight of a cord of green firewood is almost 5000 pounds, while seasoned weighs 3500 pounds. So if you stacked 2 1/2 ricks in your truck, you had about 4300 pounds of seasoned (6250 green) firewood in the bed. I would be very concerned about my truck. Even an F-350 won't handle 6250 pounds. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How much wood.............
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Based on your definition of a rick (4x8x2), that is one-half of a cord. Obviously, the weight of the firewood depends on the species. For the stuff I deliver (ash, oak, maple) the weight of a cord of green firewood is almost 5000 pounds, while seasoned weighs 3500 pounds. So if you stacked 2 1/2 ricks in your truck, you had about 4300 pounds of seasoned (6250 green) firewood in the bed. I would be very concerned about my truck. Even an F-350 won't handle 6250
pounds. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

It's dryer than gunpowder. This wood was cut in the spring of '04, then stacked under a machine shed roof. I'm hauling it in a 2500 Dodge. Yep! Those Fords can't take a REAL load!

(Probably around 4000 to 4200 lbs. Red oak, hickory, ash, and some cherry)

I'm about 30 minutes south of Lousville. Wood sells for $60+ per rick, delivered this winter LG&E just got a 64% rate increase on natural gas. I'd look for the wood price to go through the roof now.

Where abouts were you "along the mighty Ohio"? I just finished trimming a house in Cardinal Harbor a few weeks back. (Oldham County)

/ How much wood............. #7  
A 'cord' is 128 cu ft, of stacked wood (not thrown in or on) I've been told.

An 8' pickup bed by 4' wide would have to be stacked 4' high to get the cord. Probably are some wider above the wheel wells, but racks on the sides would be necessary to get a full cord of wood on a standard pickup.

When I split wood with a splitter, I make sure I stand erect between splitting pieces, and don't stay hunched over when the ram is moving. Really helps keep the back in better shape, for me at least. I thought I spent more time 'bent over' while splitting by hand as I would have to stand the piece up and get it to stay there long enough to swing the splitting maul at it. Seems my lower back pain doesn't bother now with the splitter.
Just a different side of the coin. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ How much wood............. #8  
I usually work the splitter and load it while I'm on my knees on the ground. I'm 25 and it kills my back to be hunched over that thing all day too so it ain't just all inclusive to you old fellers!

/ How much wood............. #9  
Yep, I've got my back problems too.. I rented a splitter for the first time this year and mmy buddy and I split 6 cords. We had the logs loaded on the trailer and the splitter set up next to it. We were able to remain standing most of the time. The issue was loading the trailer with wood(lots of bending and lifting) then moving it to the wood shed. I think the key is to use your slaves(kids) to do that part /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif..I also learned not to cut large logs anymore either. Keep them easy to manuver /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I usually work the splitter and load it while I'm on my knees on the ground. I'm 25 and it kills my back to be hunched over that thing all day too so it ain't just all inclusive to you old fellers! )</font>

The difference between 25 and 45 is the RECOVERY TIME after trashing your back. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The company I work for, among other things, does site work (clearing land, grading, ect) before new construction can begin. They cut a LOT of trees over the course of a year. They saw them up, split all the wood, then stack it under a shed roof at the yard. All our employees get free fire wood, provided we keep the place clean and orderly. I haven't cut or split firewood in over 20 years, even though I burn wood in the house and my shop.

I have, from time to time, some downed trees to be cut up on the farm. I let friends and neighbors cut that up and split it for their own use. I'm not splitting any more wood..................!