Falling Split Tree

/ Falling Split Tree #1  

rich_ncal

Gold Member
Tractor
TS1610
There are two dead pine trees I would like to cut down. Both trees have a large splitting cracks running far up the tree. One tree is about 8 inches diameter the other about 12 inches diameter.

Any advise on how to fall a split tree and what not to do when falling a split tree?

/ Falling Split Tree #2  
Rich: The split will be less of a problem if you can fell the trees in such a direction that the split in each one is perpendicular to your notch cut and felling cut. Let's say the split runs north to south. You wouldn't want to fell the tree to the east or west because your felling cut would be cutting completely through the split, allowing the tree to act more like two separate trees than one single tree. If you fell it to the north or south, the split will be bisecting the section of wood that will be acting as your hinge, which is not a big deal since at the present time the tree is strong enough to hold itself together, and will remain so as you are felling it.

Since I'm not sure how well-versed you are in felling trees, I'm going to run the risk of telling you something you already know by stating the basic principles I use in felling a tree. (There are some variations to the following guidelines for special situations, but these procedures will work in the vast majority of cases). The notch cut is aimed in the direction you want the tree to go. I cut the upper part of the notch downward at an angle of about 70 degrees. The lower part of the notch cut angles upward at about 20 degrees, for a total of 90 degrees. This allows the tree to travel a full 90 degrees before the two sides of the notch meet each other and break the hinge. The depth of the notch need only be 1/5 to 1/4 the diameter of the tree. The felling cut is usually made slightly higher (about 1" for a 12" tree) than the intersection of the two notch cuts. This gives the hinge a little more flexibility. The felling cut is made parallel to the ground (assuming level ground), NOT down at some crazy angle like some people like to do for god knows what reason. The biggest key to the whole process is to leave an uncut strip of wood (the "hinge") between the notch and felling cuts, about 10 percent of the diameter of the tree. This controls the direction of fall, since the trees fibers are extremely resistant to tearing out sideways but will much more readily fold over. I use the example of the popsicle stick - no one I know can break one sideways, but you can snap one in half the flat way all day long.

If the tree has a slight lean in the direction you want it to go, great - just do the above and over she will go. If it is neutral or slightly backwards in lean, 1 to 3 plastic wedges bashed into the felling cut will usually force it over. I say 1 to 3 because if 1 doesn't do it, put 2 together and bash them in. If the tree is leaning heavily in the wrong direction, mechanical means must be used, as in a good stout rope and preferably a winch, but you can use whatever else you think is safe - tractor (pulling from the drawbar of course), motor vehicle, come-along, pulleys, whatever. Just make sure you have no doubts about what you are doing. If you're not sure, don't do it.

One more thing: trees with heavy leans have probably killed more people than anything else, except maybe for falling branches. This leads to a situation called "barber-chairing", where the tree splits up the middle long before the felling cut reaches the intended hinge. To avoid barber-chairing you must employ a plunge cut into the tree a hinge-width behind the notch cut, thereby establishing the hinge, and then proceeding with the felling cut toward the back side of the tree, away from the notch cut. When all of the holding wood has been severed, the tree is then free to fall in the direction of its natural lean, with the previously established hinge guiding its direction of fall in a controlled manner. Plunge cuts cannot be done with safety (anti-kickback) chain, and can be extremely dangerous. For these reasons, I recommend leaving trees with heavy leans to professionals, or very, very good non-professionals

Hope this helps, and again, if you have any doubts about what you are doing, please don't do it.

/ Falling Split Tree #3  
CT_tree_guy,

That's a very precise and complete response. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. The expertise available at TBN is pretty amazing, and I'm glad you've joined in.

Cliff

/ Falling Split Tree #4  
Wrap a chain or heavy ratchet strap tightly around the tree a foot above the cut and fall them like any other tree.

/ Falling Split Tree
Thanks for the advice.

CT_Tree_Guy:

Your post is very helpful.

I have not used wedges in the past. I will get a few.

MikeD74T:

Using the chain or strap is an idea I did not consider. How often have you done this? If done properly it could make this safer. Could the chain or strap break and hit me?

All: Felling trees and operating tractors dangerous things can happen quickly. Try to be safe.

/ Falling Split Tree #6  
I do it regularly on leaners useing a 'log' chain. I have had two in the past two years try to barber chair. It really gets your attention when the tree 'pops' and the chain snaps tight.

Haven't tried the plunge cut as most of the trees that are problem leaners are well over bar length in diameter. Last one was 38" at the butt.

Harry K

/ Falling Split Tree #7  
Cliff: Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been a "mega-lurker" for far too long and am glad finally be giving something back. To paraphrase JFK, "Ask not what TBN can do for you; ask what you can do for TBN". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm about to officially "come out of the closet" with a post of thanks in Kubota Owning/Operating for everyone's help with my tractor acquisition.

Rich: Plastic wedges are indispensable. You'll be in great shape if you get 3 - 10" or 12" wedges. Bailey's (800-322-4539) is a great source for wedges, files, chains, you name it. They'd be happy to send you a catalog. I like the "rifled" wedges, then the 'Red-Heads", but they're all OK. I've never had to chain-wrap a tree, but there might be a time and place for it. Just make sure the chain doesn't become a projectile, trees can generate some incredible forces.

Turnkey: Remember, you can plunge in from both sides to fell a tree that is twice your (effective) bar length. If the tree is over 2x your bar length, you can plunge cut straight into the middle of the notch cut, right through the center of the hinge, then fan the bar back and forth toward the center of the tree to sever the holding wood that you can't reach from the side plunge cuts. This will still leave plenty of hinge to direct the fall of the tree. Again, the usual disclaimer: plunge cuts can make some crazy kickback; proceed at your own risk.

/ Falling Split Tree #8  
Wow, timely post - almost............

I spent yesterday taking down some dead trees on my property. One had fallen back about 10*, till it was laying in the fork of another. I was planning to just hook on with my tractor and pull it sideways, but my neighbor, who claimed to have a lot of experience (and the tools to match - which gave him some credibility) decided it would be better to fell it. I was dubious, but went along. After cutting it completely in two, it didn't fall, so I hooked my tractor onto it and pulled it sideways - no problem.............

Another one had died and was laying across the upper branches of two different trees. He took his pole saw and chopped off one large branch, thinking it might roll and fall out, but it didn't. We hooked a long rope on it and just pulled till it was down. The third one was a large, dead tree, close in between two live ones. It was somewhat intertwined, but we both thought if felled correctly it would just come down. We got it cut properly, but it just leaned a little and hung on. So, out came the rope again, but this one fought us. Finally I just put the tractor in low, 2nd and pulled it till it fell. Then all I had to do was chop up the mess................all! It was a long day and I sure was tired when we were done..............

/ Falling Split Tree
Thanks for all the information. I fell and cut up both trees today. Just need to clean up the junk and get the good pieces split and stacked. It all went according to plan with the trees falling in the intended path.

I do need to learn to get further away. I tend to stand where I have been cutting and watch the trees fall.

/ Falling Split Tree #10  
Kind of late getting back to you but, I've used chain many times. I only have 3/8" & 1/2" chains. Usually use 3/8" because it's handy. Worked for my father & his partner removing trees around houses that could not be reached by bucket trucks. They were both telephone lineman. We all climbed & took the trees down piecemeal. We often chained split crotches so the impact load on our lowering lines wouldn't bring down more than we planned. Often we were also on the leader above the crotch. Have had chains tighten but never more than expected. Have chained heavy leaners that we thought might barber chair but never had one split. Mike