cord of wood???

/ cord of wood??? #1  

littledog

does anyone know how much wood, small wood like pine blocks that are used as kindling, that a JD 4300 bucket holds in comparison to a cord. ex. 1/4 or 1/3 or how many buckets it would take to make a cord. thanx

/ cord of wood??? #2  
Well ... a stacked cord of wood is 8x4x4 feet if I remember correctly. That equals 128 cubic feet. Just divide your bucket capacity into this and you'll get a rough idea.

If you heap the wood in the bucket then you'll get more in of course.

/ cord of wood??? #3  
Hi ya
well kinda tough to work out.. only way i could think of working it out is make a bin out of gates 8X4 by 4 foot high and fill it up to work out how many buckets to a cord also if selling i think ya have to state "stacked or tossed " cord in NZ ya come under weights and mersures i have seen a few wood dealers getting fined for selling a short cord.. may pay to look in to if it ya selling . someone may know if a rule like that is in the USA or some states
catch ya
JD Kid

/ cord of wood??? #4  
There are more definations for a cord of wood than there are days in a month. There are certainly two different measurements, one if you are the buyer and one for the seller.

Back a number of years ago when every one started burning wood again there were quite a few people who started selling wood to make a few extra bucks. Some one would order a cord of wood and the amount they got varied greatly.

A true cord of wood is a pile of wood cut to four feet lengths piled four feet high and eight feet long. The volume of this stack equals 128 cubic feet. There are about 70 cubic feet of soild wood in a true cord.

Now if you took that same pile of 4 four lengths and cut it to stove length pieces 16" long split it and repiled it it would take up less space than the original pile. Some went to saw dust, and it piles into a tighter pile after it it cut and split.

Some guys would figure their pick-up bed was four feet wide or so and eight feet long and about 18 - 20 inches deep, so a bed full was about 1/2 a cord. Makes a big difference if the wood is piled in or thrown in.

Many states don't allow the cord measure to be used any more. They require wood to be sold by the cubic foot thrown in. I have heard of face cords, which is a pile stacked four foot high by eight feet long stove width 16 - 18 inches. I guess in some places they call this a rick of wood too.

The bucket of a tractor will hold a certian cubic foot volume. Makes a difference how long the pieces of wood are and if it is stacked, thrown in, or scooped up.

/ cord of wood??? #5  
It's 128 cu feet stacked tight, you can get a lot less wood depending on how it is split and stacked if you are buying.

When I am selling I try to set a fair sellable price and then make sure it is way more than a cord, like giving the person 128 cu feet in log form, which makes a heck of a lot more then when split and sold.

I'm always happy to get someone to give me money for something that will rot if I don't sell it.

If you don't thin out the woods you lose on your bigger trees anyway. (at least in W. Wash)

Better to have someone complain about the price then what they are getting. I've sold it by the "pile" but can't ever advertise it that way as the state do gooders are so concerned about people getting ripped off. The idiots (state). It is illegal to sell a "pile" for $5 even if it's 5 cords because you didn't describe it in cords. I just underestimate. So far so good. Don't have time to cut and split. You are supposed to list species or state "mixed". If you want to cheat someone you still can, I wasn't raised that way. The state thinks they can legislate morality, they can't.

I see Cottonwood being sold as firewood. For you unfamiliar with that wood, if you dry it for say 2 years you might be able to throw a piece in the woodstove without putting the fire out. Great for paper fiber, horrible stinky, sparky heatless wood. When fresh cut most logs can't be lifted with my L35 that would easily 2 of the same size Douglas Fir or wet alder.

If you cut it and it freezes?...When you split the rounds it is just like splitting ice blocks, same sound too!

I already have 16+cords in the woodshed, 6x6x12 foot pile of logs in the "waiting" area so I'm happy to get some bucks for those trees that have fallen or from thinning.

del