Welders Inverter vs Transformer

/ Welders Inverter vs Transformer #1  

_RaT_

Tractor
Kioti 3510-SE HST
I have been pondering the idea of replacing my old Lincoln 180 AC stick welder. I would really like to try my hand at TIG as well. Stick and TIG welders are very similar as far as a power source goes which is why a TIG box can typically be used to do stick welding. Question I have is have anyone tried using the "new" inverter type welders. Seem so much handier because of weight and size. I am looking at either the Miller Dynasty 200 DX or the Lincoln Invertec V205-T. I sent a PM to Harv but he seems to have disappeared. The bonus of this type welder for stick welding over my old 1963 Lincoln 180 is having a DC output, something I miss having.

/ Welders Inverter vs Transformer #2  
Harv is back, he posted yesterday. He may need a day or two to catch up.

/ Welders Inverter vs Transformer #4  
I have the Thermal Arc TA-185 stick/TIG inverter unit. It comes complete with all accessories (cables, foot pedal, torch, consumables, etc) and can be had from several of the internet sellers for around $1700 delivered. I got mine from IOC.

The pros and cons of these inverters have been discussed to death on both the Hobart Welders and the Miller Motorsports forums. The general consensus is that the TA-185 is the best bang for the buck of the inverters. The Dynasty 200 DX is good also, but with all the same accessories it costs almost $1000 more than the TA.

/ Welders Inverter vs Transformer
Thanks Mad, I have little time for TBN, no way I'm getting into another forum. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif