If you were in the market for a sedan

/ If you were in the market for a sedan #1  

_RaT_

Tractor
Kioti 3510-SE HST
Our Minivan is going, we would like to replace it with a sedan type car, or even a small SUV, 2WD is fine. I have investigated on the internet a Nissan Maxima, Toyota Avalon, Acura, Lexus, Subaru, Honda and of course all the American cars. Any advice or recommendations? I have not paid much attention to cars so I'm counting on others to advise me about this "unknown" area. Our goal is to stay around $30K or less.

PS Kubota L3830 HST for sale /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ If you were in the market for a sedan #2  
Well in Cali, you don't have to worry about snow so an AWD Subaru Legacy GT or Mitsu EVO is kind of foolish even though they are very powerful and fun.

Honda's are made just as strong today as they were years ago, but there design is lacking in my opinion.

The new maxima's are gorgeous, but I don't know about their reliability. The altima 2.5's are also nice and have a very powerful (235 hp) motor.

Toyota's are unbeatable in reliability but they have an outdated design, inside and out. Again in my opinion.

I test drove a Ford Five Hundred and was very impressed at what you get for a reasonable price and a great warranty.
Just don't get the CVT (Continously Variable Transmission), it's really annoying how the rpms go up to about 3,000 and then just sit there while the car continues to speed up. Like a snowmobile.

Test Drive them all. Find who wants to make you the best deal and what is most fitted for your needs.

Hope this helps,

/ If you were in the market for a sedan #3  
If looking for a midsize car in that price range and trust JD power take a look at the Chevy Impala #2 or Buick LaCrosse #4. (Buick Century #1 / Pontiac Grand Prix Tied 2). The LaCrosse is probably a bit more comfortable and quieter with a 4/50 warranty. The Impala was redesigned for '06. If you prefer a larger car and can wait about a month the new Buick Lucerne is basically a Cadillac DTS with a few less bells and whistles. I saw one in a dealer today nicely equipped around $32,000.

Kurt

/ If you were in the market for a sedan #4  
I am very happy with my 2005 Ford Freestyle Limited. It sits on the Volvo Frame/AWD system and is rock solid on turns and wet pavement - haven't tried snow .... yet. This comes with a 3.0 6 cylinder with the CVT. Contrary to the above, I am happy with the CVT - smooth transition power, and the engine sits in the peak of the power curve nicely. This engine/trans combo is a little slow off the line, but my "hot-rod" days went out with my second kid. The Freestyle weighs ~500 lbs less than the Pacifica (it's closest American competition) and has more interior room. It gets ~22 mpg city, 26 mpg highway. Exterior put together very well, interior panels seem a bit flimsy, however. Maybe they updated for 2006?

The Limited seats six, and the seats are very versatile - I keep the back seats folded down most of the time and got some Husky liners to keep them clean - can carry a lot of junk back there without getting anything dirty.

I'd buy again.

/ If you were in the market for a sedan #5  
I too would recomend you drive the CVT before discounting it. It is a different feeling, but after a few miles, its really cool and increadibly smooth. The 500 and Freestyle are on the same platform so depending on what you want, it could be a wagon or sedan. Keeping with the Fords and giving you another idea, I would recomend you look at the Escape. It is a nice little SUV with good reliability. There is a hybrid version of it as will be in the others soon. If you dont spend most of your time in traffic or city driving, the HEV would take forever to pay for itself.

Also, dont forget there are Mercury versions of all three. I cant tell you much about the others, but think you'd be completely satisfied with any of the Fords we mentioned.

/ If you were in the market for a sedan
<font color="blue">Well in Cali, you don't have to worry about snow so an AWD Subaru Legacy GT or Mitsu EVO is kind of foolish even though they are very powerful and fun.

</font>

Actually not quite true. If you look at the snowfall totals for the country, just right up the road from me in Lake Tahoe are records hard to beat by any place in the country. Tahoe City does or did hold the highest amount of snowfall in inches for one storm. We get several hundred inches a season. I believe about 400 inches. I already have a 4WD vehicle so I don't need another.

/ If you were in the market for a sedan #7  
The Subarus are fantastic vehicles, especially in snow, ice (within reason), wet roads, and in the dirt.

/ If you were in the market for a sedan #8  
Hi Rat,

As mentioned earler the Nissan Altima is a great car--I purchased my '05 in 10/04 and have been very satisfied with all aspects of it... the model I opted for was the 2.5 liter 4cyl (170hp) as it gets 27/32 mpg for me, and that was my rationale for the purchase.

I drove the Accord, Camry, & Mazda 6 and at 6'3 inches, iut came down to the Camry & Altima, with the Altima having a better finish, more power, better price... and it's the best looking car of the bunch (IMO).

Looks like you may be looking for a"bigger name" sedan though-- (sorry--can't help you there!)

Happy tractoring! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ If you were in the market for a sedan #9  
We have just managed to put 5,000 miles on our first Toyota Corolla and we love it, better than 40 MPG is nice also.

Our previous car was a full size Buick Lesabre. The Toyota seats are more comfortable and there is a feeling of roominess in a smaller car I didn't expect.

On a trip we had two adults in the back seats who were comfortable as well as us up front, I didn't have to move the seat to afford them more leg room which I enjoyed.

The Camary is one step up but I have no experience with that model.

Randy

/ If you were in the market for a sedan #10  
I'd check out the new Impala SS with the V8. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Or 2000 Impala LS has been very nice for the two years we've owned it. LOTS of room for five and a huge trunk for trips.