tongue weight

/ tongue weight #1  

PLOWER

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4710 JD Lt133 JD 345
As some of you know I am moving to Wisconsin, and when I get there i am trading in my 4100 for a 4700 or 5205 cant decide which one yet though. Any way I have a 18 foot trailer and a Dodge 2500 diesel and I was wondering with the boxblade in the bucket of the tractor facing the truck, if that is to much tongue weight on the truck? I just bought the trailer last week, I'm leaving on Friday 9/28 to bring the tractor up there, but we are not moving intil Oct 15. Thanks

/ tongue weight #2  
Plower,

The figures I have heared are about 10-15% of the trailer weight will be the tongue weight for a bumper pull, and about 20-25% for a gooseneck.

I have found about 10% for the bumper pull is about right.

Fred

/ tongue weight #3  
Could you back the tractor on the trailer?That works best for me,I have a JD4400 and bushhog.I have a 16'trailer and pull it on a C-1500 Chevy 4x4.

/ tongue weight
If i was to back it on the trailer wouldnt most of the weight be in the back of the trailer and make it pull the back of the truck up like over bumps and such. Thanks

/ tongue weight #5  
Plower, I'll venture a guess that you will NOT have too much tongue weight, but notice I said I'm guessing without seeing what you have. I can tell you what I'd do if it were me, and you'll have to decide for yourself. I'd stand a yardstick against the rear bumper on the truck to see how high it is off the ground. Then I'd hook up the trailer and see whether it had changed or not, and if so how much. Then I'd drive the tractor onto the trailer and measure again. I'd also be looking to see if the truck and trailer looked like they were sitting fairly level front to rear. With the tractor (including front end loader and whatever you put in the loader) all the way to the front of the trailer, I'd want it to lower the back end of the truck no more than a couple of inches (1 to 1.5 preferably). If it's lowered more than that, I'd back the tractor up a little to shift some of the weight back, and then chain or strap it down when it looked right. But you DO want to put some weight on the tongue/hitch because it's very dangerous handling otherwise. As has already been stated, you want 10-15% tongue weight for it to handle right.

Bird

/ tongue weight #6  
It works better for me is the only reason I suggested it. The reason being I am able to keep most of the weight over the trailer axles . Like you say you do not want to put too much on the other end either./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ tongue weight #7  
I would also look into a weight distribution hitch. For some reason some of the roads here in Texas look like Moguls /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gifthat you ski over. The equailizer type of hitch would keep the trailer from pushing you all over the road when conditions are bad. It also helps keep the trailer and vehicle level. With the long trip that you are planning you will be glad you had it. Of course I am assuming you have a receiver type of hitch and not a goose neck type of trailer. Good Luck.

Randy

/ tongue weight #8  
you have enough suspension to put that tractor and loader and scraper right in the back of the truck, as long as you have a reciever and 2 5/16 ball pull that tractor all the way forward, guaranteed not to sway. I wouldnt encourage that with an angle iron trailer and a 2 in ball.

/ tongue weight
Hillybilly and others
Thanks but Hillybilly hit the spot when you back it on does get most of the weight on the axles on my trailer, I really never thought about it before I asked so thanks again.

/ tongue weight #10  
I am glad to have helped!!

HillyBilly